• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: Secret Weapon 7 Discussion Continued

If the system isn't to different I'm sure most staff would do there initial training on saw.

If the system is completely different though that won't work! :p

Fredward said:
If the system isn't to different I'm sure most staff would do there initial training on saw.

If the system is completely different though that won't work! :p

The first operators will be trained by Gerstlauer, and then they in turn will train the rest of the staff.

Funnily enough the manager in charge of X-sector used to work on Saw :p

Fredward said:
I thought contract builders put the rides up, its never Merlins staff and I've only heard of ride company's supervising.

You've hit the nail on the head there Fred, thats exactly how it works.

Local contractors do the labour under the supervision of Gert engineers, AT maintenance staff will have very little to do with this project until it is finished.

The problem I see is the groundworks, ie there is none on the whole of 2/3rds of the site.
Going by how long its taken to do 1/3, it doesnt look good does it.

By 'groundworks' you presumably mean footers, which take no time at all to set in.

The biggest problem is the sheer amount of earth that has been shifted and moved, and adjusted. There will no doubt have been some drain pipes etc. that required rerouting etc. too

You'll find now they have a 'clear site' so to speak, it's a case of putting the footers down (which are preformed) then installing track pretty rapidly.

Johno said:
By 'groundworks' you presumably mean footers, which take no time at all to set in.

The biggest problem is the sheer amount of earth that has been shifted and moved, and adjusted. There will no doubt have been some drain pipes etc. that required rerouting etc. too

You'll find now they have a 'clear site' so to speak, it's a case of putting the footers down (which are preformed) then installing track pretty rapidly.

No I mean groundworks! Look at the bottom of the pit you will see concrete on the floor and supporting the walls. The top of the site will need this as well unless the queue line is going to be a mud bath.

Dunno how accurate the locals are but one claimed they once got Blivvy going at 4 am.

As I said, don't know how accurate they are.

There really is that many mistakes in my posts?! Damn this Tapatalk milarky! :)

Just had another look at the plans and I've got to say what's there at the moment matches them closely, the knot part is lower though and now seems to be in the way of the planned shop!

I'm sure there will be a few spare shipping containers laying around after though so I'm sure they can create another if needed.

Because we can now see that the knot element is a lot lower than on the plans, could that mean that problems arose with the planning documents that meant they had to build it lower than originally planned? The fact that you can still see it from outside the park now makes me wonder what it would have looked like if it had stayed exactly like the plans.

I'm thinking now instead of the new plaza being there they may have a well themed pit with tunnels. Well I can wish ;)

Just rung the Hotel Reservations about noticing that the countdown clock has disappeared from the website for my stay on 15th March...

They are still confirming it's all on track for the 16th March, and they also said there are some loops up.

Phew! No need to worry everyone... ;)

Must be invisible loops - else we would have seen them on the ariel photo ;)

Infact this all makes sense now, this is what makes SW7 so special - its got invisible track! Its the worlds first invisible track roller coaster.

Stupid us, moaning its late when the track has been up for months! Facepalm!

The Alton Towers ticket line have confirmed it's unlikely to make the 16th March opening date...

So, there's some form of confirmation... :)

Is that a pre-recorded message or a person confirming this?

Well that's going to confuse the everyday guest a hell of a lot, considering there's been no official statement to say its been delayed.

would it be a bad time to say that when me and Lewis went up the other day they were still moving earth? My car is now covered in it due to the roads being plastered in it!

Personally i wouldn't believe what you hear from "The ticket line", what do they know really ?

I think at this stage of construction, visual images from TT showing very little in the way of track has changed over the past 2-3 weeks, the countdown timer been removed, lack of marketing for the ride, it just seems people want this to be a late opening so they can so " Told you", it's started already, all because a timer has been took down from the site. There's been absolutely no confirmation from Alton Towers saying anything other than March 16th, the date has been plastered all over advertising boards through summer, scarefest and fireworks, all the busiest times of year. Do you really think Alton are going to say with still a little over 2 months left till opening that the ride is behind ? if anything i think an announcement will come a lot closer to the ride opening if there's any cause for concern about the coaster not been finished.

There's still plenty of time left, and you have to remember that this track goes up pretty fast, you only have to see in the short space of time that the station and drop as well as the interlocks went up just before christmas. Chances are gerstlauer will of headed home to celebrate christmas with there families and they'll be back now to throw up the rest of the track.

KingNemesis said:
interesting comment by someone on tpblogs facebook

Gerstlauer are trying there hardest to get the track sorted. The reason nothing has happened over the past 2 weeks is because of New Year & Christmas. Siegfried has even said he thinks track will be done by start of February. I email Siegfried & Coen about my future ideas and stuff, and they pretty much said the TRACK will be done in time. Remember, 2 teams are working on this ride, Gerstlauer & Merlin. While Gerstlauer are doing the track & supports, Merlin are doing the station & theming, so I reckon it will be done on time. Until Towers say over wise, the ride WILL BE opening on time as planned.

As far as I'm aware Merlin Studios are not permitted on site until it's 'handed over' and deemed as safe by the construction team. Only then do 'Merlin' actually do any work on site, and that work is purely thematic anyway.

As others have said, the work is done by contractors, several contractors at once in fact. Then you have a main team that oversee the whole project from start to finish. So I would question the validity of that person who posted on that Facebook page.

It looks like the ground works team is still on site, which is very worrying. They are usually the first contractors that you see go off site! If they are still there now it's not looking good... At least the station is taking shape however.

Nemesismad said:
Personally i wouldn't believe what you hear from "The ticket line", what do they know really ?

I think at this stage of construction, visual images from TT showing very little in the way of track has changed over the past 2-3 weeks, the countdown timer been removed, lack of marketing for the ride, it just seems people want this to be a late opening so they can so " Told you", it's started already, all because a timer has been took down from the site. There's been absolutely no confirmation from Alton Towers saying anything other than March 16th, the date has been plastered all over advertising boards through summer, scarefest and fireworks, all the busiest times of year. Do you really think Alton are going to say with still a little over 2 months left till opening that the ride is behind ? if anything i think an announcement will come a lot closer to the ride opening if there's any cause for concern about the coaster not been finished.

There's still plenty of time left, and you have to remember that this track goes up pretty fast, you only have to see in the short space of time that the station and drop as well as the interlocks went up just before christmas. Chances are gerstlauer will of headed home to celebrate christmas with there families and they'll be back now to throw up the rest of the track.

Not only that but it's STILL being advertised as opening on the 16th on the AT website.

http://www.altontowers.com/short-breaks/weekend/#Thrill

Lets not also forget the press release from October 2012. Which is still freely available to view on various websites.

Alton Towers said:
In March 2013, the Alton Towers Resort will launch it's biggest ever ride.

In March 2013, the Alton Towers Resort will launch its biggest ever ride. The first of its kind in the world, the rollercoaster will be the biggest ever investment for a ride at the Resort.

Whilst many of the details are still a closely guarded secret, here are a few exclusive facts about the ride, codenamed Secret Weapon 7!

Highest drop – 30m

Maximum speed – approx 85km/hr which is 10km/hr faster than Air

Track length – 1,170m. This is 3x the length of Oblivion

Ride time – 165 seconds which is 3x the ride time of Rita

Passengers per ride train – 16 (4x rows of 4)

Minimum rider height – 1.4m

Location – X Sector, on the site of the old Black Hole ride

Investment for the Resort - £18m

Opening date – 16th March 2013

I think they will be removed soon, the Hotel pages have been missed I think... :)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.