• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: Secret Weapon 7 Discussion Continued

Thanks for this news Dean, however terrible it is haha!

At least if they're now confirming it won't open until after the 16th March they should hopefully have the sense not to rush it. Hopefully they'll open it fully complete (theming and all) rather than a rushed attempt which is what we had feared.

Yeah, sorry for being the bearer of bad news...

Just rung the ticket line again and was told the same thing, "it's unlikely to be ready for March 16th"

So, that confirms information about a delay within the Alton Towers ticket line department, but nothing has got to the Hotel department.

Mentioned about it's still being advertised as opening on the 16th on the website still... :)

You'll probably find the hotel and ticket booking "departments" are the same teams, especially at this time of year. It would seem some sort of information is filtering through to them now, as others have said in the topic already this always seems to be the case with changes occurring like this. It does have to be said that as much as we didn't believe the information about it still being on time to be reliable from the booking guys previously, we should treat news of it being delayed with as much caution.

However, considering the other information we've seen such as the countdown and the state of the site, it's looking more and more likely :(. Long as it opens before I head abroad at the end of April I'm not too fussed!

Wishful thinking, but if the construction is delayed or late, it could mean that no bonuses get paid to the construction time for having it completed by a set deadline.

This could hopefully lead to more money for tidying the rest of the park(Paint Oblivion).

Ian

IanB said:
Wishful thinking, but if the construction is delayed or late, it could mean that no bonuses get paid to the construction time for having it completed by a set deadline.

Depends if it is there fault or not. I find it hard to believe, that something hasn't happened on site to delay this, given that the weather has not been particularly bad, it doesn't seem an over complicated design, and is still basically a Eurofighter on steroids.

Just seems bonkers to me this.

It was the 2nd wettest year on record and they were digging a hole which got flooded many times, the weather certainly could be a factor.

I'd say the weather has been pretty miserable to be honest - it's unfair to say the weather was not "particularly bad"! The 2nd wettest year in recorded history is not the time you want to be digging 20-30 foot deep hole out of the side of a hill. The number of times that hole has filled up and needed draining must have least put them 2 weeks behind, as no work can go on whilst that happens.

It probably would have been better if the weather was similar to 3 years ago - though we had ridiculous levels of snowfall, and temperatures reached lows of minus 10 on Christmas eve, at least the ground would have been too hard rather than too soft.

It will be interesting with regards to bonus payments. Contracts usually talk about "situations out of the control of the contractor" - I do wonder if the recent weather counts as that or they really have been slacking.

Unfortunately there will always be references to the original opening date in some places that can't be changed. Unfortunately Towers can't do a minitru in 1984 and recall all media that was released that has the original date and correct it so it was never there. Unless....#getcorrected

Towers freak said:
Unfortunately there will always be references to the original opening date in some places that can't be changed. Unfortunately Towers can't do a minitru in 1984 and recall all media that was released that has the original date and correct it so it was never there.

I don't know! The ride seems to have a very Orwellian theme to it and in the book '1984' they manage to change the past, and Merlin seem to be along the lines of the Ministry of Truth. ;)

At least the word is getting across to other areas of the Resort now, so that should stop the confusion people seem to be having.

Pity they didn't just say March 2013 in the first place...

I think that the ground was probably the problem. As the track looks lower than in the plans. They may have had to dig deeper to find a more secure piece of land. Saying that though, if they did have to dig deeper they could have filled it in. I don't know just a thought

Looks like there's an SW7 app being developed!

App Icon
appicon_zps02e3985d.jpg

Splash Screen
splashscreen_zps2426b655.jpg

Fear Monitor
fearmonitor1_zps2b3bc9f7.jpg

Advertising the App
app3_zpsffb9da17.png

Being designed by Jack Dempsey Designs: http://www.jakdempseydesign.co.uk

Original source of images: http://dribbble.com/jd_design_uk

I saw that the other day but just assumed it was something else fan-made, and it wasn't official.

Whoever made it spelt queue line wrong aswell :p looks cool though.

I had a look into it and it does seem pretty legit. However there is still some uncertainty to it. There's been strong rumours that a SW7 app is coming (unless it's been confirmed and I missed the news :p ) so this kind of fits the bill.

Josh said:
I saw that the other day but just assumed it was something else fan-made, and it wasn't official.

Same.

But I kind of hope it is official because it looks great and is a fairly interesting idea.

Tim said:
Josh said:

Same.

But I kind of help it is official because it looks great and is a fairly interesting idea.

Yeah it is a good idea, and definitely something Towers should look into if this does turn out to be fan-made.

I believe those are fan-made images, they are very good quality though.

Ah well, wishful thinking. :p I do hope the rumours of a SW7 app turn to be true though, they are good marketing tools and utilise park wifi very well. :)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.