• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: Secret Weapon 7 Discussion Continued

Who needs a helicopter or a plane! Today it was back to good old fashioned spying through trees trying to work out what was going on. So I have some photos, the quality is not great as the camera always focuses on the trees as there are so many of them, but you can just about make out a few bits and bobs!

First of all, you can see here that there are 2 cranes up in X-Sector; one at the bottom of the site and the smaller one appears to be up near the top of the site:
P1140761.jpg

A couple of photos looking into X-Sector, unfortunately you can't make out much:
P1140769.jpg

P1140770.jpg

Here you can just about make out one of the three pieces of brake run track being transported around the bottom of X-Sector on the track mover mobile as I like to call it:
P1140771.jpg

The track being lifted by the crane:
P1140773.jpg

P1140775.jpg

P1140780.jpg

And here it is safely on the ground:
P1140782.jpg

Now I couldn't work out if this was the track piece on the ground or something else, so I got a few:
P1140784.jpg

P1140786.jpg

P1140797.jpg

The second piece of brake track being taken to the construction site:
P1140798.jpg

P1140799.jpg

Now some photos of the track in storage and a few things I noticed about it. Each piece of track is numbered at each end, and the train will travel from the lower number to the higher number. Ie, one end of a track piece may be numbered 6, the other end will be 7; the train will go from 6 to 7. Then the connected track piece to this will have the number 7 and one end and number 8 at the other end. So the numbers on the track are labelling the connection. An interesting example here.

Here is connection 6 travelling towards connection 7:
P1140804.jpg

And here is the track piece that will come after it, connections 7 towards 8:
P1140805.jpg

Clearly this is for a roll/twist of some kind. And as the connection numbers are so low I wouldn't be surprised to see this inversion in the indoor section.

And here is the piece of track that will precede the inversion, connection 5 towards 6:
P1140807.jpg

Here is the one remaining piece of brake run track left in the car parks, I would imagine it has now been moved onto the construction site:
P1140811.jpg

Now this proxy sensor can be found on the piece of track with connection 37 leading towards 38:
P1140815.jpg

P1140816.jpg

And another proxy on track with the connection 27 leading to 28:
P1140820.jpg

Those track pieces just look like standard coaster track to me, clearly the sensors are going to be used for something though.

I hope all of that makes sense. I know it's not a great update and not all of the photos are overly clear but hey it's better than nothing! And it was really fun taking them all!

Please don't use these photos without my permission, though as always TowersStreet may use them if they want.

:)

I always assumed that proxy sensors would be fitted after the track was in place, given how delicate they are.

They are fairly tough actually and quite a few manufactures will put them onto the track before moving them into position. Normally they need a bit of adjusting before the ride can open, but yeah they aren't that fragile.

if your theory of track going from 1 to however many is correct, i guess that confirms an inversion early on in the ride.

I wonder if we could get the numbers of all the track, if there is some missing i guess that would confirm trick track, if there isnt then i guess there wont be none. Thatll be a challenge for someone!

Edit:- great pics by the way! :)

Would the sensors be there to activate various pieces of theming throughout the ride, such as the spider etc?

siralgenon said:
Would the sensors be there to activate various pieces of theming throughout the ride, such as the spider etc?
Not impossible, but strikes me as unlikely. Usually proxy sensors are part of the ride PLCs themselves, whereas'external systems' are triggered by infra-red trip beams, i.e. a component that can be entirely separate (in both fixing and electronically) from the main ride system. ORP cameras, for example.

I could be entirely wrong, though. However my gut instinct is just that these will let the PLC follow the shuttles around the track.

I would guess the sensors are there just so the ride ops know the location of each train on the ride, a safety feature.

Latest aerial shots seem to indicate a pretty steep drop somewhere within the ride building that goes under the cut and cover bit. Not that we didn't expect that, this appears to confirm it though.

Possibly, but for theming I think they normally stick to photocells and not the metal detecting poxy switches.

Edit: Looks like 3 people beat me to it :p

I have to say that having now seen pictures of the hole with track in it, it doesn't look anything like as big as it did! It's put a proper scale to it! However I think they will cram it as full as they possibly can!

Also, where the hell is the station going! I was amusing that the large concrete slab was for it, but from the supports shown in TT's latest images, it would suggest not!

Why is anyone still discussing the Washing Machine idea? It wouldn't be enjoyable, It would seize up throughput and create unbearable queue lengths, it's a lot of effort and money for very little pay off, and it's quite frankly loony.

Merlin may not be great providers of customer service, but that's because they lack the will to pay what is necessary, not because they risk their money by splashing out on expensive, stupid decisions.

As I said before on TST Chat, if it does turn out to be this idea, I will eat my own intestines, spew them out and offer it up as ingredients for the local Women's Institute annual baking competition.

I would say the 3 upright supports are the station and you literally leave the station into a left hand turn and drop (the 4th support is tilted at the connecting point)

Considering steel started moving to the site on Wednesday they haven't done much it seems (I might be wrong as I'm no engineer).

Rob said:
A couple of photos looking into X-Sector, unfortunately you can't make out much:
P1140769.jpg

Much?

Anything!

;).

auntiiimartiii said:
Rob said:
P1140769.jpg

Much?

Anything!

;).

Maybe I won't bother next time then?

No I won't spoil your fun =D.

Always criticism, when people take time out to try and get updates about towers over closed season

Exactly Josh, well said. Did I have to go and get this update today, no? But I enjoyed it myself so I'm glad I did? Did I have to share it with everyone? Certainly not. And comments like that, even if they are said partly as a joke, are uncalled for and make me less likely to bother sharing again in the future. It may not be much but I find it very frustrating. Yeah you can't see much but we can't all afford to go up in fancy planes with fancy SLR cameras with fancy special zoom lenses. Once the coaster starts going up properly I reckon I may be able to get some half decent ground level photos of it from various places, but why bother sharing them if I get comments like that?

Please move any personal disagreements to PM

Thanks.

I think the comment was said in jest, but I also think it was uncalled for. Its bloody cold up on those hills and standing around waiting for something to happen isnt a nice way to spend your evening. I too was going to see if I could stand on top of a nearby hill and take photos looking down at the park, but I might not bother now.

Anyways, looks like vertical construction is going much slower than I would have liked and nothing much really seems to have happened recently.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.