• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: Secret Weapon 7 Discussion Continued

Rupert said:
I don't think that this will be going for the inversion record - there's just not the space. The washing machine idea is completely ridiculous. It's just going to be a good rollercoaster - it doesn't need to break any records. World beating could easily mean 'better than loads of coasters in the world' - they stopped saying 'world's first' months ago - if this was going for the inversion record I'm sure they'd still be saying it is a first.

It's pretty much identical to the plans, plus with a barrel roll that was obscured by the station building on the plans. So I'm assuming we'll get a pretty ace, self-duelling, intertwining coaster with nine inversions. It doesn't need to be anything more than that.

I agree with the ideology of what you state there Rupert mate, however World Beating needs to be that, unless they want another SW6 on their hands.

I am absolutely certain, that there will be something about this ride they could call a World's First (inversions, or my controversial "Acceleration" prediction), however with Towers, that usually means something unique. I maintain this is why they have changed to World Beating, to avoid confusion or over-hype.

Technically an new inversion/speed etc record is a world first, but given the propensity for that to refer nowadays more to ever increasing technical masterpieces, World Beating is definitely more appropriate.

To have none of these, on an SW, is just not Alton Towers though. It will have something, and if it doesn't I will be astonished. It's crazy to go around shouting "World Beating" just because it's a pretty decent Gerstlauer. Think of what is already out there, does this really compare without some kind of record attached to it, 9 inversions, no records, no "trick-tracks" is not a "World Beating" coaster by any margin, and we are back to "Ultimate Coaster" style.

I just don't believe this team would make that same mistake, as the more that comes to light, the more clued up this lot seem to be!

Well I'm now pretty confident that the pit isn't going to be covered, going completely against what I initially thought!

The site is starting to take shape now, though saying that is rather concerning as it is something we should really have been saying a good few months ago. There is still so much to do, including a lot of groundwork and concrete pouring.

:)

Rob said:
Well I'm now pretty confident that the pit isn't going to be covered, going completely against what I initially thought!

The site is starting to take shape now, though saying that is rather concerning as it is something we should really have been saying a good few months ago. There is still so much to do, including a lot of groundwork and concrete pouring.

Also it's finally happend SNOW, I'm worried I don't think concrete sets under 2 degrees

TheMan said:
Rupert said:
I don't think that this will be going for the inversion record - there's just not the space. The washing machine idea is completely ridiculous. It's just going to be a good rollercoaster - it doesn't need to break any records. World beating could easily mean 'better than loads of coasters in the world' - they stopped saying 'world's first' months ago - if this was going for the inversion record I'm sure they'd still be saying it is a first.

It's pretty much identical to the plans, plus with a barrel roll that was obscured by the station building on the plans. So I'm assuming we'll get a pretty ace, self-duelling, intertwining coaster with nine inversions. It doesn't need to be anything more than that.

I agree with the ideology of what you state there Rupert mate, however World Beating needs to be that, unless they want another SW6 on their hands.

I completely disagree - if the coaster layout is good enough, there doesn't need to be anything more. Look at every top-ranked coaster in the world - they're pretty much standard tracks, but particularly good layouts. No unnecessary records or elements.

Thirteen's problem is that (combined with completely inappropriate marketing) despite having a very good single element, the coaster layout is abysmal - boring, slow and completely unadventurous (although the backwards section is pretty well done). SW7 won't have that problem, as the layout looks pretty great. If you'll forgive me for quoting myself, 'It doesn't need to be anything more.'

I must admit I'm starting to dread that this delay may be more than a few weeks, I really hope not but with the weather set to take a turn for the worst also it just doesn't look good. It's all well and good saying the coaster will fly up and so on, but it can't fly up when the groundwork's not finished and there aren't many footers for supports to currently go in to.

Dave said:
Fredward said:
Plus you never know... it could have 2 vertical lifts. That would give them much more space if it was required.

Yeah but then that would prove the plans where wrong which is where this all started :p

I'm of the opinion the plans are roughly the same, As proven by the cobraroll/bat wing, they are sunk into the ground (or atleast appear to), all the elements will remain. But some things will be different.

I do find it odd the 'normal' lift, I know Gerst do 'normal' lifts on their non eurofighters, but since this has one vertical lift. It's a bit odd that it has a normal one as well?

Thats my theory anyway!

So I come to the conclusion of 2 options.

Assume the ride is 'self dueling' a car will be held before the first lift getting marmalised or something, once the car infront reaches the lift it will stop to catch onto the lift mechanism for the vertical lift. Both cars leave at the same time. Either both lifts are vertical meaning will reach the top at the same time due to same length and speed.

Or it is a 'normal' lift but with a variable LIM lift? so it can have a speed that will get to the top at the same time as the vertical?

Just seen this on TT

"The boxes DO obscure elements of the ride, that towers have specifically requested we do NOT share with the GP, as they are "sensitive to the secrecy of the ride".

Is the Staffordshire Knot a unique element (AKA world first?)

ARead23 said:
Just seen this on TT

"The boxes DO obscure elements of the ride, that towers have specifically requested we do NOT share with the GP, as they are "sensitive to the secrecy of the ride".

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!

Do I have to log in to see these pictures that I said I didn't want to see before they actually took them? ;D OR are they on a Facebook page anywhere?

As for earlier, them saying they don't want them posted on here? No. I wont say anything.

They are at least respecting the wishes of the Towers though, maybe this is an inversion record then rather than speed.

I know this divides opinion, and I can completely understand why, but I do stand by this having to actually be the best/most of something to be classed as "World Beating". This secrecy would suggest there is something interesting here!

I know this will get suggested at some point too, but I seriously doubt Towers would request that, or TT make it up, just to garner interest or intrigue in the ride/site.

Lift hill track still being rather elusive, two "Spy" trucks earlier (gotta love that ha-ha!) - my money is on the launch still! ;D

Poison Tom 96 said:
Is the Staffordshire Knot a unique element (AKA world first?)

No, but even if it were they couldn't market that easily.

I know Dave wont like it but its looks from the pics the Washing Machine element looks most likely

ARead23 said:
I know Dave wont like it but its looks from the pics the Washing Machine element looks most likely
On what grounds?! Surely there's absolutely nothing to suggest that, or make it any more likely than any other option?!

why does this keep happening

Ah, everyone is forgetting there is quite a considerable amount of room between the actual station, and where the track enters the building. There could be space for 2, maybe 3, inversions there- as well as a couple before the lift. Making around 13, with a possible corkscrew being added after the cobra roll.

There is one pic where the barrel roll isnt blocked as it is just off screen and just after the corner there is a small square blocked which is only big enough for the rumoured element

Just because there's a pretty little box on a picture does not instantly mean the washing machine idea is true, nor does it mean the ride will have a trick track. Just about anything could be behind the box.

I was merely pointing out that not a lot would fit behind a box that small

ARead23 said:
There is one pic where the barrel roll isnt blocked as it is just off screen and just after the corner there is a small square blocked which is only big enough for the rumoured element
OK, but surely the option exists that there's no element at all? It could just be straight track/block brakes before the lift. Or as others have said, there could actually be space to throw in a second barrel roll.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.