• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: Secret Weapon 7 Discussion Continued

Sorry! Completely forgot to draw the turn around! It was supposed to go before the lift after the barrel rolls as a kind of turntable.

:)

Wilsy said:
I very much doubt there will be anything like the "washing machine"

Especially considering all mention of it has disappeared from the site which initially reported it. Funny that.

Good spot that. The whole section of their SW7 minisite dedicated to the Hotpoint device has disappeared.

Yawn

All this talk of Washing Machines or Multiple Barrel Rolls is missing one crucial point, they’re boring. This is why I loathe the inversion record. It just becomes a game of how many interesting elements can be removed for the sake of sticking another inversion in instead.

And this is why I don't think we'll see either of these things. A Secret Weapon does not have to be a World's First. What it does have to be is something new and interesting, a creative challenge. From what we've seen so far SW7 lives up to that statement. We have the Staffordshire Knot, a duelling ride system, pits and a terrain hugging tangle of track. Why would they then spoil all of that with one of the blandest starts imaginable?

Now I know you could point at Colossus and say they've done this before but that was different. Thorpe Park needed a cost friendly ride to put them on the map. So they took an already existing design and added a few more inversions. But a SW should be more than that and what they really need is a ride that only Alton can create.

An inversion beater can also be an interesting coaster, just looking at that Staffordshire Knot element proves this will be (if no Gerstache). The trouble is recently parks have just done inversion records in a lazy fashion.

At the end of the day whether it has an inversion record or not it can be a great coaster too.

I think there are more boring things that could fill the building - a straight piece of track in a concrete hole leading to a lift hill. However, the park already has an excellent example of one of those on air, and I really think we don't need another!

In an ideal world there would be a slow progression through a preshow section, to the standard and creativity of the Twilight Zone at WDW. Travelling in the pitch black, along a meandering and banking track whilst illuminated "Smilers" and maniacal laughter play all around, before launching into the light along an accelerated lift hill would delight me, or variants upon that theme. I don't think it would be expensive to achieve, but would visually would be impressive.

However, we know that the last SW was based around a massive gimmick. I think that the current management team have changed, with Sub Terra, in my opinion, being a good, solid ride with back story. I would be very happy if they maintained this form into a decent, out and out coaster, but I am trying to get used to them trying to achieve a record in some way so that I am not surprised on opening day!

I think this is what will happen, but my guess I am close so will spoiler it!!

Zanussi.jpg

As for this:
Dave said:
One argument against the false plans idea is that Towers wouldn't go to such extremes to fool geeks but what if it was to fool other parks.

It doesn't take much to beat the inversion count with very little planning if you don't have a height restriction like Towers. Indeed Towers if they are going for the inversion count are going to annoy a park in Japan that is building a 12 inversion coaster to open this year. They might have faked the layout so others don't steal their thunder.

I was beginning to think this myself as the discussion moved along. It is going to create quite a buzz if they have been this audacious! Now that is likely to gain global attention, as other parks will be happily advertising theirs, totally unawares that this little pretty park somewhere in the middle of the middle of nowhere on a tiny Island has trumped them!

As you say, throwing an extra inversion in, in the form of an inline or something would be quite easy for a well funded park to do.

This is going to be interesting! If they are doing this, it will be ironic that the Theme matches this innocent looking coaster, to a sinister take over of global inversion records ha-ha!!

I can picture Dr K. now ;D

*Cue evil laughter*

I think the inversion record is a great thing for Alton to try. They only have one inverting roller coaster so far and that's Nemesis! They cannot be the tallest or longest and that pretty much rules out being the fastest as well. So if they are going to go for anything, then the inversion count is their best bet!

Oh and before anyone says that air has inversions, they don't really count and are often called lie-to-fly and fly-to-lie elements and not proper inversions.

Dave said:
An inversion beater can also be an interesting coaster, just looking at that Staffordshire Knot element proves this will be (if no Gerstache). The trouble is recently parks have just done inversion records in a lazy fashion.

At the end of the day whether it has an inversion record or not it can be a great coaster too.
Yes but what is being discussed is 4 Barrel Rolls in a row. I think we can both agree that does not make a great coaster (although granted I find Colossus novel but I have no desire for another ride to repeat the experience).

Plus by the time you get to the 13/14 Inversion mark they can be the most interesting Inversions imaginable but you still end up with the "Nighthawk" effect were it's way to much of the same.

There's a bi rail piece of track laying on the floor in the middle of the knot. It's right in the middle and can be seen on nearly all the images. ANYONE have a clue why?

It's laying by the temporary construction stairs, in an incredibly awkward place/position.

morgano said:
There's a bi rail piece of track laying on the floor in the middle of the knot. It's right in the middle and can be seen on nearly all the images. ANYONE have a clue why?

It's laying by the temporary construction stairs.

One of those useful extra pieces you occasionally get in case one breaks during construction? :p

Could be part of the maintenance track?

Tim said:
Dave said:

Yes but what is being discussed is 4 Barrel Rolls in a row. I think we can both agree that does not make a great coaster (although granted I find Colossus novel but I have no desire for another ride to repeat the experience).

Plus by the time you get to the 13/14 Inversion mark they can be the most interesting Inversions imaginable but you still end up with the "Nighthawk" effect were it's way to much of the same.

That is been discussed on here but that doesn't mean it is true, I don't think there is the space for 4, if you look at TT's later pictures not much further up from the entrance to the obscured area is a wall so it matters little if they change the lift hill it will still be too little space. 2 in a row is fun though.

They can do it badly i agree but it doesn't have to be bad

The only reason I can think why they would use a bi-rail is where there is less force exerted on the track, like with Colossus the drop is bi-rail and the first loop is tri-rail ( more force in the loop).So it is most likely to be used near a low force point in the ride. Or as rightbackgranty said it could be maintanace track.

I hope there is some kind of themed dark ride experience indoor where the train is moving either very slowly or is at a standstill to build suspense. Then straight into an LSM launch up the first lift hill. That would be the dream, very much like Revenge of the Mummy but going outdoors after the launch.

Secret Weapon 7 Discussion Continued

As I see it, there's zero chance of a launch in those ride. We would have seen hardware by now surely?

-Sent from a mobile phone-

Tom said:
As I see it, there's zero chance of a launch in those ride. We would have seen hardware by now surely?

-Sent from a mobile phone-

No way Tom - fastest accelerating coaster ;D

Seriously though, those mysterious spy wagons arrived earlier remember... could have housed anything/something interesting!

Plastic Person said:
If this does involve a launch, then it definitely won't be opening on March 12th.

If the ride opened before the actual park itself on the 16th, I think every single member on this forum would be truly speechless :p

I realise nobody's touching up on it, but I noticed the walls being put up around the hole and in the middle of the construction's very similar to the walls around the hole on Oblivion. A nice addition I think to help mix SW7 into X Sector ;)

I don't think the budget allows for expensive hardware, gimmicks or much else on top of conventional rollercoaster elements. I would say we were are looking at conventional inline twists inside accompanied by lighting and disorientating effects etc.

This thing is highly customised and quite lengthy. I personally think they've got their money's worth for £18m as a chunk of that will include X Sector reworking. The track layout is going to be one of John Wardley's finest moments - it is going to look staggeringly stunning and the most marketable rollercoaster in this country for a decade.

Do we think that Ben Dowson has taken over Candy Holland's role on this ride?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.