• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: Secret Weapon 7 Discussion Continued

Just to put it in perspective... The Swarm was finished by this time last year... and by the looks of it, they are not even half way... I will be gutted if it isn't open by the time I visit mid April :'(

Themeparkmania said:
Just to put it in perspective... The Swarm was finished by this time last year... and by the looks of it, they are not even half way... I will be gutted if it isn't open by the time I visit mid April :'(

Am I right in thinking The Swarm was shorter than this, and didn't need as much ground work?

Well swarm had an entire island built for it ;)

Main difference is construction started earlier. They built the island I think the year before in preparation.

In terms of inversions and the inversion "record". The mix of inversions and other elements on the plans looks pretty much spot on. But obviously if they are going for the "record" number of inversions then they are going to have to fit some more into the main outdoor layout. I just hope in doing this they don't ruin the potential flow of the coaster and make it inversion followed by inversion followed by inversion and so on, with no breaks inbetween. I find coasters like this do not work well, it's nice to have a bit of variety.

:)

When you compare the grounds to Towers and Thorpe it must be said that SW7 looks so much more awkward to construct rather than The Swarm.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, TS just put this up on their Facebook page:

TowersStreet said:
TowersStreet
SW7 track was still being unloaded in the mini-bus car park this morning. However conditions have got significantly worse in the last hour.

Hopefully it won't hamper any work going on ???

Well, judging by the snow in my garden. I can guarantee that the recent weather will affect the construction. Which is a shame, considering we thought that they'd be able to crack on with getting the thing up. Because they need to get the whole coaster thing up, with both track and ride systems installed by the end of this month, ready for testing.

Stevie said:
Well, judging by the snow in my garden. I can guarantee that the recent weather will affect the construction. Which is a shame, considering we thought that they'd be able to crack on with getting the thing up. Because they need to get the whole coaster thing up, with both track and ride systems installed by the end of this month, ready for testing.

I don't think it should affect construction at all. After all, Gatekeeper's construction wasn't delayed by large amounts of snowfall and that's a giant B&M.

gatekeepersnow1.jpg

Yeah, but that's America.

We're talking about Britain. The whole country comes to a stand still, when there's a little slurry.

I dont know - its warming up here and the snow is starting to melt.

If you consider that the site will have heavy traffic then there may not actually be too much snow on the ground, just mud. Which lets face it, thats all the site comprises of at the moment!

Well, this is the current state of play at Towers in terms of snow, as posted on their official Twitter account.
BAkmJmdCQAARfK5.jpg

Yeah, I don't see much SW7 construction today tbh. :p

The thing is, when you're working on a ride in Towers, compared to that coaster in America. SW7's area would be dangerous in a lot of snow and ice, I can imagine that ride in America only needs a bit of grit around the grounds and things should work well.

Jonathan said:
Well, this is the current state of play at Towers in terms of snow, as posted on their official Twitter account.
BAkmJmdCQAARfK5.jpg

Yeah, I don't see much SW7 construction today tbh. :p

I immediately rescind what I said!

Lets not forget the obvious that Gatekeeper sits luckily on mainly flat land. SW7 is on a hillside, of which still looks like is being landscaped. Not really a safe site to work on.

For a comparison, I remember watching a documentary about the construction of the GCI roller coaster 'Renegade' at Valleyfair. The workers building that had to hack through ice on numerous occasions and work quickly before things froze up again, as well as face harsh winds and white-outs (not constant as they had a fairly good start to construction and they managed to get ahead of schedule before their weather worsened). But you have to remember that 'Renegade' was built on reasonably flat land. If they can shift some of that snow in areas around the SW7 site that can be accessed safely by the workers then they should be able to continue, even if it's not much that can be done.

I'm not far from Alton and the sun is out at the moment (not sure if the clouds have shifted from over them yet, but our snow has nearly all melted away), so hopefully the snow should begin to melt for them soon enough. Thankfully no more snow has been forecast for them yet so let's hope it stays that way for them!

:)

If they are doing work on site with the snow I would hazard a guess their main focus will be the station building. Track construction seems like it would be all that more difficult.

They struggled constructing Th13teen with the snowy weather and that sits on flat land. So I somehow doubt on the SW7 site there would be much change from Th13teen, it is most likely even more difficult.

it seems TTF are still insinuating that there will be a secret element behind the box on their image. Personally, i dont see it. BUT could this just been launch track?

Hehe, how did I not realize that was here?!
Anyway, loving the style of mareting so far, its really sinister and intreeging! Carrying on spoon feeding the gplittle bursts of advertising is the right way to go!

Sorry to take us back a few pages but i finally found what i was looking for credit goes to TT for the pic

TT picture removed by TS Team due to Copyright reasons.

This is why i think there may be a secret element just look at the square cut out it seems more reinforced than the other bits and that is the covered up bit on the new photos, it would be the correct size if there was going to be a washing machine idea.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.