• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: Secret Weapon 7 Discussion Continued

There isn't the budget for anything fancy or gimmickal. The secret element is simply that there are concealed inversions, I'd be willing to bet.

A bit off topic from were the advertisements are concerned. I visited the track yesterday. I was actually quite shocked how much there were. Also i heard that there was a few trucks coming in the next few days with more track Heres some pictures from my visit. Theres more track than what i took. I thought that these was the most interesting. If you like i will upload a few more? There ya go!

DSC_0076_zpsabf75a35.jpg

DSC_0055_zps5d50eb52.jpg

DSC_0049_zps90dc1497.jpg

DSC_0043_zps25cbee27.jpg

Great, if a bit worrying lol, pictures Jack, personal thanks for those as I cannot check out the TT pictures!

Muchos Gracious!

Can I ask, what other major rides in Alton use kicker wheels - do they all? I've never really paid too much notice, and wonder why they're in use here. I know SW6 does for the noise abatement.

This is probably very common knowledge on here. Thanks peeps :)

Every coaster at Alton uses them at some point (Unless you want to count The Beastie :p ). It's easier than putting the ride station and brakes on a slope. Th13teen is the only one with a kicker lift though, simply as it's quieter and apparently cheaper to run.

(If you want to be pedantic though, B&M seems to refer to them as "feeders". But as far as I'm concerned it's all the same idea :p )

Every coaster uses kicker wheels to move the train along a horizontal piece of track, most commonly used in moving the train in or out of the station.

EDIT: Except for powered coasters, RMT for example. :)

Not every coaster uses them. Woodies, for example, or Arrow coasters such as Vampire, simply have the station and brake run on a slope. Of course, this means that Vampire often gets stuck on the brake run if the train is lightly loaded, and needs a push to get it going again :p (a flaw that never happened with the old heavier trains).

DiogoJ42 said:
Not every coaster uses them. Woodies, for example, or Arrow coasters such as Vampire, simply have the station and brake run on a slope. Of course, this means that Vampire often gets stuck on the brake run if the train is lightly loaded, and needs a push to get it going again :p (a flaw that never happened with the old heavier trains).

I never realised that Vampire's station and brake run were on a slope :) you learn something new every day... :p

Wow interesting stuff coming out there about kicker wheels!

So it wasn't quite as simple answer as I thought. Never realised Vampy sloped either, certainly doesn't appear to without having exactly looked for it.

You can see the slope of Vampire's station track quite clearly from the ramp as you enter the station. The lack of kickers is why it has to stop about three times before the train parks correctly. The aging computer says
"OK, let the train in... YIKES! It's too fast! quick, apply the brakes! ... OK, release them and let it roll forwards again..."
This cycle repeats several times ::)

To attempt to stay on topic...

Someone mentioned a while back the idea of using kicker wheels to maintain a constant speed through a barrel roll. To me that seems like a bad idea, as if there was a power failure or E stop the train could get stopped upside down.

While I know this has been done before...
63e002iomm090j8h570ch8.jpg

I somehow doubt it would be allowed in this day and age.

DiogoJ42 said:
You can see the slope of Vampire's station track quite clearly from the ramp as you enter the station. The lack of kickers is why it has to stop about three times before the train parks correctly. The aging computer says
"OK, let the train in... YIKES! It's too fast! quick, apply the brakes! ... OK, release them and let it roll forwards again..."
This cycle repeats several times ::)

To attempt to stay on topic...

Someone mentioned a while back the idea of using kicker wheels to maintain a constant speed through a barrel roll. To me that seems like a bad idea, as if there was a power failure or E stop the train could get stopped upside down.

While I know this has been done before...
63e002iomm090j8h570ch8.jpg

If the barrel-rolls were going downwards and the shuttles/trains were merely controlled with friction/kicker wheels then if the ride did E-stop, would it not be possible to have some kind of manual release to allow the train/shuttle to roll to the end and come to a stop the right way up?

BigAl said:
If the barrel-rolls were going downwards and the shuttles/trains were merely controlled with friction/kicker wheels then if the ride did E-stop, would it not be possible to have some kind of manual release to allow the train/shuttle to roll to the end and come to a stop the right way up?
I think that depends on how the motor > wheel drive train is geared.

DiogoJ42 said:
BigAl said:
I think that depends on how the motor > wheel drive train is geared.

I'm sure there'd be some coaster engineer out there that either has or could try it some day! :D

Also, it's a shame they don't sort Vampire out with something to guide the trains into the station so that they can get a decent throughput by being able to use all three trains again, but that's for another topic (possibly the Chessington one? :p )

Why would you need kicker wheels anyway? If you build the track at a very slight gradient the trains will be travelling at a roughly constant speed - just look at the 4 rolls on Colossus.

As for the posters in Leeds, I was there on Saturday so must have just missed them :(. I like the idea of the face splitting open to let you through the barrier, almost as if it's consuming you.

John said:
Why would you need kicker wheels anyway? If you build the track at a very slight gradient the trains will be travelling at a roughly constant speed - just look at the 4 rolls on Colossus.
If you're after a constant speed for a theatrical effect that's much slower? Probably pointless though as it probably wouldn't be fun! :p

If you want it to go that slow I'd worry about comfort :p

The risk with taking inversions too slowly is the fact that the vehicle could stall on its own. You could put kickers in place to combat that, but then you have the power risk as others have said.

The way I see it no rolls should be that slow unless they use a vest style OTSR. Otherwise it could be rather uncomfortable.

Not sure what the linking rules are with TTF but there is a great "wide shot" of the construction site.

The indoor drop is around 40ft from start to finish. Not a vertical drop (obviously) but a pretty intense start.

I roughly calculated the height from the plans.

DiogoJ42 said:

*loud cough* Gforce *cough*

not sure what the safety system is on G force, but that is able to get stuck upside down if the ride system stopped, So I can't see why kicker wheels in a barrel roll wouldn't be allowed, I think it's a silly idea though and would cause much more hassle then it's worth if they don't have an appropriate fail safe.

Secret Weapon 7 Discussion Continued

I think we've seen enough track to know there are tri track barrel rolls in this.

-Sent from a mobile phone-

Re: [SW7] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

You can't have kicker wheels on a barrel roll easy due to the articulation of the trains, the park that the wheels push on will be at an odd angle to the track. You'll only find them on straight or shallowly bank pieces of track. It's the same reason you'll never find trim brakes on twisted pieces of track.

The drops pretty decent though so I wouldn't worry about stalling.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.