• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: Secret Weapon 7 Discussion Continued

I don't recall at any point Alton Tower's mentioning a "World's First" for SW7.

Actually as I type this I think I do, but not for very long - more as if it was a mistake, rather than a change of design.

As Tim mentioned, the Colossus in lines I cannot stand, they ruin a ride I dearly love, so a "washing machine" effect does not appeal to me at all.

Just make a coaster, with great theming, great intensity, and lots of twists, turns and speed and I'll be happy!

My guess though on this, given it's location - is it will be partially dark ride inspired. A little bit of a nod, to the previous much loved incumbent.

I never really studied the plans properly, so you lot may be able to put that idea away - but that's my thoughts for now.

They have called it both "World First" (on their last posters) and "world beating". I think marketing will hot up soon though.

TheMan said:
I don't recall at any point Alton Tower's mentioning a "World's First" for SW7.

Actually as I type this I think I do, but not for very long - more as if it was a mistake, rather than a change of design.

Ian Crabbe did say a while back that it would be a worlds first. I can't remember exactly when this was though, ie whether or not it was before the complete revision of SW7.

:)

What do you think to the idea that the bottom half of the bat wing and cobra roll will be in the pit, which will then be covered over so that it would be like oblivions hole, so you will have above ground and underground section. Hard to explain. Basically diving into and out of holes in the ground. Just a thought.

I would be very happy for there to be no Trick Track.

It works well on Thirteen, and Expedition Everest as it enhances this ride, but this washing machine trick track did not look appealing to me, and could of ruined a potentially great ride.

The washing machine idea just seemed to be a poorer copy of Disney's CyberSpace Mountain.

Ian

No trick track is good for me too. Hopefully it will be reliable and eat queues like no tomorrow. I've been waiting for the day that the park installs a decent off the shelf type of ride, where the only real gimmick is its theme or layout.

The trouble is, I think the ride should have a world's first, and without trick-tracks there are not many easy options anymore? (Except the self duelling idea - I like that but hard to publicise)

I would much rather have an amazing ride, rather than some silly worlds first, eg TH13TEEN, if it turns out to be on the same level as Nemesis then they will be on to a winner! Sometimes its best to just go back to basics and build a very good thrill coaster.

It will have a worlds first, my money is on the inversion count.

I think the main reason people were or are expecting trick track is that Towers have said themselves on numerous occasions that when they build a new SW coaster it needs to be unique and different, or something along those lines anyway. And this I agree with. Now because of Thirteen many people just assume that this means that for a new coaster to be unique it has to have trick track, which is of course not true. I really hope SW7 does have some sort of really unique factor so that it is a true Towers coaster, this does not have to be trick track though. And for those that say Nemesis isn't unique, it's just a good coaster, at the time it was very unique.

:)

That was one of the best things about Towers being B&M world, it was their playground and they could do some crazy new stuff that may not have happened so quickly otherwise! I hope SW7 is something crazy like that, if not its a solid ride with a great theme :D

djtruefitt said:
turns out to be on the same level as Nemesis then they will be on to a winner!

Never gonna happen.

It will be a solid thrill ride - but it's a eurofighter, built in 2012, by Merlin.

CoasterCrazyChris said:
djtruefitt said:
turns out to be on the same level as Nemesis then they will be on to a winner!

Never gonna happen.

It will be a solid thrill ride - but it's a eurofighter, built in 2012, by Merlin.

Ohhhhhhhhhh

Merlin don't operate well, they never maintain their old rides but if Krake, Raptor and Swarm prove anything its they are getting the knack of new investment (even Sub-Terra was improved to something decent for £4,000,000).

It won't be as good as Nemesis but if it doesn't develop Gerstache (which the likes of Anubis haven't) then it could be on-par with Oblivion (or just below).

I think the reason that in general it is assumed Worlds First = Trick Track is because it is the easiest type of World First to imagine.

New ride types such as Air are very hard to picture because they require us to completely re-imagine what a roller coaster is. We've also covered all the basic ones now (above track, below track, next to the track, flying ect.) so it's not very clear what the next ride type could be.
But that's not to say new ride types have stopped completely. Personally I'd count Outlaw Run as the World’s First Wooden/Steel Hybrid Coaster as unlike previous so called Hybrid rides the actual make up of the track is 50/50 wood steel influence.

Creating new track elements no longer feels like a World First ever since ride types like the Euro-Fighter, El Loco and X-Car started offering just about any position you can imagine. A perfect example is The Swarm’s first drop which despite being the first of its kind was never labelled as a Worlds First because unlike in the days of Oblivion manoeuvres like this are considered standard now.

Which leaves us with Trick Track’s as the only Worlds First which just about anyone can imagine. They don’t require a complete roller coaster redesign but they also stand out as being unique.

What about a world's first that has nothing to do with the track or trains? Maybe it involves something going on around the ride or a particularly intense preshow element that's never been seen before?

I'm sure Polar X-plorer at Legoland Billund was said to be the worlds first coaster to go through an animal enclosure, not anything spectacular but it's still a world's first. :p

True, which proves my point that there are ideas out there which can take us completely by surprise.

Although I'd say for a World's First Coaster I'd expect the actual ride to do something unique rather than something cool happening around you.

has there been a coaster that has a close call (is it a called a head chop?) whist inverted?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.