• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: Secret Weapon 7 Discussion Continued

It doesn't help CupCake that John is a very modest individual, a few of us here including myself, have had the pleasure of speaking with him down the years in various capacities.

He isn't of the kind to come roaring out with big "I did this!" statements - that doesn't help the confusion with exactly how his role is defined. He also has a certain amount of "lore" attached to his person, and monikers that are bestowed upon him by the enthusiast community lol!

My personal experience with John was very limited, but he is not usually too far away from an Alton Towers SW project or wider Merlin roles, and long may that good work continue.

TheMan said:
It doesn't help CupCake that John is a very modest individual, a few of us here including myself, have had the pleasure of speaking with him down the years in various capacities.
I know he's got a modest side from interviews I've either seen, or read.. But mainly the ones I've seen :) This did just help me be like, "he designed that one, and that one, and that one." :)

Hahahaha ;D

I'd always say that best thing with John, based on everything I've seen down the years, is assume he is involved by default :D - who knows where nowadays, I just reckon we will know from the quality of the attractions, the time he stops having any involvement at all.

He really is a gem, and the industry is very privileged to have him around - as are enthusiasts :)

Rupert said:
Jonathan said:
John Wardley did indeed design the layout for SW7, according to my research. Admittedly, it was from Wikipedia, but I'm happy to go along with that.
Oh come on!!! When it comes to new UK coasters Wikipedia is the least reliable source of all - kids and excited enthusiasts edit it to include all kinds of outlandish rumours.

I'm slightly offended by this, having created, written and updated the majority of the SW7 Wikipedia! I'll grant you I didn't add the list of designers in the info box although they were added by another regular and reliable editor so I left them in. I'm sure you'll find that if you read through the page, anything that is not citable fact is stated as such.

CupCakeMonster said:
I would love him to have designed the layout for SW7!! But the reliability of Wikipedia as a source.. it says this for goodness sake...
The ride has been confirmed by a marketing video as containing a world's first element
Does anybody remember the marketing video in question?? Because I don't remember anything confirming that it was a worlds first and not 'world beating'

Yes, the marketing video in question is referenced right next to the statement as per Wikipedia regulations. I think you'll find it at 0:27 :)

11f7b93144a9e7c66c39f266781ec4bc.png

Alton Towers Resort tests the minds and bodies of the nation

Sorry, my mistake. I forgot about that advert. I instantly thought of TV ones and thought I would have remembered an SW7 one :D But thanks,
Hmmm... Okay, so do they did still use 'worlds first' around Scarefest, when all the posters said 'World Beating' ... So maybe it is both? Maybe they didn't just change their minds?

I'm on my new fangled telecommunications device! So if I spell anything wrong, I do apologise.

That was something else they back tracked on wasn't it.

World First (expected for an SW usually)...

To World Beating, which now according to the AT website from quotes earlier, includes Nemesis & Oblivion apparently.

World First, is very definitive and obvious, with no room for ambiguity - World Beating? Not so much.

I thought they'd stopped with all the 'worlds first' stuff quite a bit before Scarefest though. If this was in the video for a Scarefest attraction, surely they would have taken it out if they didn't want it in there? It was only text, so it wouldn't have been hard to change.

Also, as I keep on coming on here to say, and then forgetting, I'll post it quickly, so I don't forget again :) A certain Doctor has reappeared on Twitter. It seems he must have changed his username momentarily, so we thought he'd gone. So, people will still be confused... yey! :/

I'm on my new fangled telecommunications device! So if I spell anything wrong, I do apologise.

......is it safe to come out now..?

My opinion on the countdown being taken off is that marketing are afraid it won't be finished on time, so they are covering their own backs.

I'm pretty sure that the construction team, and the ride team that will be running it this year, will be pushing as much as possible to get it finished in time, and I hope they do.

Apparently Alton have started showing adverts for next season.

Source: Alton Towers Twitter

I have a theory developing in my head that the new marketing person just really enjoys messing with enthusiasts...

The head of marketing is Justin somebody. He keeps a very, very low profile!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Looking forward to seeing some adverts tonight, hopefully good ones too!
However yesterday on a kids channel I did see a feb halfterm advert, so it could just be that.

The ad I saw earlier made no reference to SW7 at all. The main focus was about booking for the hotels. It featured clips of some current rides, but nothing new from my recollection. :p

False alarm peeps its just some old promotional footage of the resort and the 2011 advert mixed together. :)

AstroDan said:
The head of marketing is Justin somebody. He keeps a very, very low profile!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Can't blame him to be honest! :p

Is it only me who thinks its abit silly wasting money on these 'Generalised' adverts?

That's less money, for more SW7 based advertisement next year...

Secret Weapon 7 Discussion Continued

This is the advert everyone is talking about containing sw7, I have a feeling it is fan made though. I wouldn't see them using no limits footage in an advert. Also the one currently on TV is not referring to sw7 at all. http://youtu.be/L8ANPbKPt2Y

Well considering it uses fan made material it's obviously not official, the advert on TV is just a general hotel booking clip.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.