• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

e4kenndr said:
Anyone else think those flasher lights look on too?

They dont even reflect off the track so can't see them being that bright currently :-(
They are on today and have been all day.

Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

At first I didn't think they were on but when we moved further around towards Oblivion's entrance we could see they were. Not exactly bright and if they're staying like that, unless they get brighter for the trains passing then they won't be very noticeable when you're shooting past them on the ride.

Also the base of the Marmaliser isn't as big as you might think. It's about half the size of the snack kiosks dotted around the park.

Finally, still not liking the entrance. It doesn't look much better in reality than in photos. It looks quite out of place in X-Sector. I just hope it gets something like a few bushes around it so it doesn't stick out as much.

I think the entrance looks good straight on, but from the side it looks dreadful.

^ That's why I'm hoping they put some bushes at the sides! :p

I don't mind the entrance as a box, yes it could be better but it could be much worse.

I'm not a fan of it's position/angle though. Why is it pointing down away from the entrance to X-Sector?

Why didn't they just leave the Black Hole arch exactly where it was, build the ride, then modify it as the entrance?

I like the idea of the entrance, looks like there is some misters or something inside, but aesthetically it is just an ugly box,

i agree with you there i hope the style it more enthusiastically as it would look pretty dull but guys why are we bothered about the entrance when we have a mother of a roller-coaster to ride i don't think people will be bothered about something they walk through :twirly:

If they are going to put so much effort into a ride then you'd think making an engaging and aesthetically pleasing entrance would be easy.

Mind you, I have missed a lot of this thread so bear with me, but is it meant to look like an airport security scanner? Because it does. I know such a thing would play HAVOC with throughput if it actually did anything as you walked through - but that coupled with the black flaps does seem reminiscent of airport security.

I see there is hand rails in the entrance box, and the floor is not completed. I wonder if they will have a spinning floor, or a spinning affect on the floor.

The ride itself and the sheer size and scale of the marmaliser are just brilliant, but unfortunately like most Merlin attractions the attention to detail just isn't there when it comes to the theming.

I'm so glad they are building a base to the marmaliser though, it will make the central part look so much better.

:)

CoasterCrazyChris said:
Why didn't they just leave the Black Hole arch exactly where it was, build the ride, then modify it as the entrance?

I wish you'd stop banging on about them not using the Black Hole entrance. They obviously want to go for a completely different aesthetic style to that of the Black Hole, more streamlined and clean cut. And in any case, I can't see why they would design and build a ride completely on the basis of a crappy 15 year old arch that people probably would have complained about them not replacing eventually if it'd have been left there anyway.

I guess I'm in the minority of liking The Smiler entrance then? :p

Just look at this way all you entrance haters... at least there's no scaffolding involved!

James said:

Just look at this way all you entrance haters... at least there's no scaffolding involved!

I don't think anyone should form an opinion yet given there is still 11 days to go until the ride opens.

Anyone seen One St Peter's Square in Manchester? Horrible looking concrete monstrosity. Doesn't fit in with the area at all, truly an eyesore.

MANCHESTER%20ST%20PETERS%20NEWS.jpg

James said:

not quite, I don't think it's that bad, but the side profile with the signage just sticking up on top looks a bit poor. From the front and inside it looks good.

I think it looks okay. I like it viewing from the front. At least it sorta fits with it being Black and Yellow

I fail to see how the entrance can be considered good by any standards. It's a black doorway with yellow borders, and yet is entirely exposed from every angle. If it was the entrance to the station it would look great, but as it is, it reminds me of the archway in HP Order of the Phoenix, but in a bad way.

Before anyone starts, yes it's not the finished product, but I'm intelligent enough to see the potential (or lack of) it holds in its current position

It was extremely damp on park today. My camera doesn't like the wet, It tries to focus on the rain (foolish camera).

Firstly - They were ride envelope testing the bunny hop when we arrived
P1050174.JPG

Flasher testing
P1050220.JPG

The steps to the entrance are having quite a bit of work on them
P1050180.JPG

The smiler entrance board.
P1050183.JPG

Inside the entrance there are these.
P1050189.JPG

A blurred zoom in on one of them
P1050213.JPG

The bottom half of the entrance. There seems to be more of these inset at the bottom. There are also pipes that go along the back.
P1050206.JPG

The pipes just end though.
P1050215.JPG

On to the Marmaliser. This was receiving a lot of TLC today. We now have a hexagonal central unit.
P1050218.JPG

Without people
P1050266.JPG

We also have new theming being added to the legs
P1050193.JPG

As we watched they added theming to one of the other legs. They started by adding a wooden template and just slotted the parts in;
P1050244.JPG

P1050249.JPG

P1050252.JPG

P1050254.JPG

And by the powers of double sided sticky tape we get
P1050256.JPG

And a piccy of the train:
P1050205.JPG

Sorry the photos aren't up to my usual standard, as you can see, it was a bit wet.

I'm intrigued to see what they're doing at the bottom of the Marmaliser legs.

I hope one of the circle images hasn't already fallen off of The Giggler leg. :p

If so, I can see the majority falling off in no time unless properly secured.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.