• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
CoasterCrazyChris said:
Rob said:
Dar said:
I think the queue is going to go down those steps and to the right, following the path of the construction fence, with the open space to left being a viewing area that you can access via ramp.

I asked about the path to the left of the steps. It will be blocked off with a gate and is so that a cherry picker can continue to access the site. The slope was said to be too steep for public access when it is icy etc as well.

:)

So basically non-riders will only be able to experience the ride from a fence surrounding it.

That is not the Wardley way at all....

Ah that makes sense, it did look a bit steep! :p

In that case, I wonder if the entrance will have one side for the queue and the other goes down to a viewing area? It doesn't make sense to me to have two entrances and then have another split further down the queue!

CoasterCrazyChris said:
With regards to the speakers - what happened to the X-Sector themed ones with the metal casings?

I do believe they are still installed around X-Sector, there's two blatantly obvious ones outside of the Rehydrator, Smiler side. I'm certain these dont plant the X-Sector/Oblivion ambient track anymore, which is a shame because although its only sound effects it suits the area really well. Lets hope the X-Sector just plays this instead of the Smiler theme.

Unfortunately there will be meshes and netting put up over the queue as well. Metal mesh will be used where the track gets particularly close to the ground, netting in other places. I'm not convinced they wanted to do this, it was more that they were forced into it. That's the impression I got anyway.

Rob said:
Dar said:
I think the queue is going to go down those steps and to the right, following the path of the construction fence, with the open space to left being a viewing area that you can access via ramp.

I asked about the path to the left of the steps. It will be blocked off with a gate and is so that a cherry picker can continue to access the site. The slope was said to be too steep for public access when it is icy etc as well.

I'm sure they wouldn't pave the path to then block it off, i'ts no steeper than the rest of the hills in X-Sector, especially the one as you come in to the area.

I'm really impressed with how it's all coming together. I did expect close to minimum work to be done in terms of theming and detailing but I'm pleasantly surprised. I love that they're bothering to do such small things like paint parts of the Marm joints a darker shade of grey, or placing those seemingly random yellow semi circles to the base of the Marm. It's stuff that will never have been missed by your average Joe but they're doing it anyway.

I'd like to think all this small detailing will make some sort of subconscious difference to people's level of immersion.

The landscaping and turf really finish it off also, it really will be a sight to behold when finished. I even think the concrete overload doesn't look bad surrounded by lush green grass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

siralgenon said:
Rob said:
Dar said:

I'm sure they wouldn't pave the path to then block it off, i'ts no steeper than the rest of the hills in X-Sector, especially the one as you come in to the area.

Well they are doing that! What else would they do, leave it as mud? Other paved paths are fenced off around the park.

Could they not just close the gate on icy / very wet days, but leave it open when it's not slippery?

Rob said:
siralgenon said:
Rob said:
Dar said:

Well they are doing that! What else would they do, leave it as mud? Other paved paths are fenced off around the park.

Surely they'd just plant over it after construction? Rather than pave it when its not going to be needed?

Thanks for the pictures Rob, very much appreciated as always.

Any more interesting things that came up in your chat with the site manager. I'm intrigued.

siralgenon said:
Surely they'd just plant over it after construction? Rather than pave it when its not going to be needed?

As I said, it is going to be needed. It will allow access to the ride area/site for a cherry picker. I'd imagine this will be for things such as maintenance etc.

Hang on, so they're going to close that slope off? Doesn't that mean the only other access to the ride is via the stairs, or am I missing something? If so is there going to be no access to wheelchairs on this ride? Would I right in saying this would be the only coaster at the park not to?

Ian said:
Hang on, so they're going to close that slope off? Doesn't that mean the only other access to the ride is via the stairs, or am I missing something? If so is there going to be no access to wheelchairs on this ride? Would I right in saying this would be the only coaster at the park not to?

I would assume disabled guests will be able to access the ride via the exit of The Smiler. Just like many other rides at Alton Towers.

Ahh, ignore me! Confused by the surrounding area for the moment :p I thought that the slope was the only bit connecting the ride plaza to the rest of X-Sector, but of course there's the path around the pool where Challenge The Smiler is going! I was thinking that that slope was the only way to get to the ride exit and shop :p

DeRp!

CoasterCrazyChris said:
Rob said:
Dar said:

So basically non-riders will only be able to experience the ride from a fence surrounding it.

Not the wardley way? Please, tell me more about how nemesis and th13teen interact with non riders?
The only slightly interactive parts of nemesis are the helix ( surrounded by a 12ft fence) and the final inline...which you're no where near!

James said:
Ian said:

I would assume disabled guests will be able to access the ride via the exit of The Smiler. Just like many other rides at Alton Towers.

I don't think wheelchairs can get up 3 flights of stairs James ;)

RustyRider said:
CoasterCrazyChris said:
Rob said:
Dar said:

Not the wardley way? Please, tell me more about how nemesis and th13teen interact with non riders?
The only slightly interactive parts of nemesis are the helix ( surrounded by a 12ft fence) and the final inline...which you're no where near!

You can walk directly into a plaza underneath Nemesis! You could walk even further before Fastrak arrived. It's a major shame that the public won't be able to get under the Marmaliser. The entrance is also oddly placed in terms of traffic flow.

Nemesis has significant non-rider interaction - there are paths under or adjacent to the entire first half of the ride! Hopefully the Smiler will provide some opportunity for non-rides to get close to the action, though it remains to be seen how much (if any) of the area under the ride isn't taken up by the queue line.

As for disabled access, I'm expecting a lift somewhere or other, similar to Saw.

Ian said:

Wheelchair users can access The Smilers Shop and building near the bottom of the site without using stairs. There is an elevator inside the building to take disabled guests to the ride platforms :)

siralgenon said:
I don't think wheelchairs can get up 3 flights of stairs James ;)

When I said exit I just meant the exit out the building. ;) I know there will be a lift there anyway. :)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.