• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

to be fair it's not finished, and it was never going to look like the plans submitted to the council. I think once all the pipes, the hub cladding / antenna and the sfx are attached it'll look very different. I do agree about the 'intimidating' nature of the original plan though.. :)

Just made this to illustrate what still needs to be done on site as of 2nd April 2013. Also labelled the legs so people can understand which ones are which.

TheSmilerProgress_zps08dbeb2a.jpg

(Click for larger image! Stuff in orange - unsure if still happening at the current time)

I prefer concept 2 (the yellow version) of the Marmaliser to the origional. If the thing gets all the embellishments shown in the later concepts I'm happy. I don't mind some of the girders showing if wires and thing are inside to add detail.

DiogoJ42 said:
That's "the flasher"??? There's no way that will be bright enough to make a difference in daylight.
Maybe 'the flasher' is just a fancy way of referring to the on ride photo? Currently it is very plain to see when an on ride photo is taken on the other rollercoasters as it creates a strobe effect on the train, even in daylight. With 8 or so of these the flash would certainly be visible in daylight (but it is never going to be dramatically bright)

I will be really disappointed if the other head-choppers don't happen, they looked really fun.

I still can't work out why the station doesn't have any walls yet! That end of the site has been complete for ages. I must admit I am a bit worried that the park will just rush things now and not add the detail - or just cut unnecessary themeing due to the stretched budget. Please don't fall at the last hurdle AT!! ;)

Sku said:
DiogoJ42 said:
That's "the flasher"??? There's no way that will be bright enough to make a difference in daylight.
Maybe 'the flasher' is just a fancy way of referring to the on ride photo? Currently it is very plain to see when an on ride photo is taken on the other rollercoasters as it creates a strobe effect on the train, even in daylight. With 8 or so of these the flash would certainly be visible in daylight (but it is never going to be dramatically bright)

I've never thought of it like that before. There will obviously be a photo at some point in the ride...maybe that's it?

aru said:
I still can't work out why the station doesn't have any walls yet! That end of the site has been complete for ages. I must admit I am a bit worried that the park will just rush things now and not add the detail - or just cut unnecessary themeing due to the stretched budget. Please don't fall at the last hurdle AT!! ;)

I agree, the station has been up for a good 3 months now without any walls or cladding or anything being added. Don't really see why they're setting themselves up for a rushed finish rather than getting things done now.

Station cladding began yesterday with the whole side of the station facing Enterprise now completely cladded. I do agree however that they have left things late, especially while only track construction was occuring.

The walls may not all be up yet but they have been continually working on different aspects of the station building. It does look like there is still a lot to do one the inside and outside of the station, however I'm sure there is a reason for doing things in the order that they have been.

:)

The main station walls shouldn't take to long to put up really. On the plans they look like corregated Iron and concrete which usually comes in large sheets.

To be fair non of us are construction experts (i don't think) i imagine there is a good reason they have not cladded the station yet.

Re: The Smiler eats turnips

I've said from the release of the images that the Flasher is most likely to be the ORP. I also wont be surprised if they add effects to it either. I'll be more surprised if it isn't the ORP.

Would be better if one of the other effects gets you though and then you get a photo taken ;D

I think it would be quite cool if they took your picture from the ORP and used that for the marmaliser screen!

Dar said:
I think it would be quite cool if they took your picture from the ORP and used that for the marmaliser screen!

That is a couple of great ways now the Marm screen can be used that have been suggested by folks on here!

So, yeah... that is two ways we can cross off it being used ;) ;D

I'm wondering what's happening with queue construction. Shouldn't that have started by now?

Since most of the ride is still being built I highly doubt the queue is top priority (or able to be done)...

Come on all, lets get some positive comments its all become very doom and gloom with: this isn't done, thats not done, that looks cheap, that looks rough, cattle pens yuk!??!
We would all be moaning if they werent building a new ride this year, yet it seems a lot of people just want to pull it to pieces. Back in the day we wouldn't be privy to see the track, or have these updates, it would all be hush hush and borarded up! Give it a chance, you can't expect it to look shiny yet theres dirt, mud and mess everywhere!
I for one think it looks amazing, and have no worries that it will make me smile! Pun intended!
Lets get back to the actual title and stop putting it down!
I too did think the flasher would be the on ride photo part of it! ~ good plan I say!

We're happy they're building a new ride but that doesn't mean we can't dislike parts of it.

One thing I thought they may do with the ORP is 'Smile' your face on it (so it looks like what they did to that JLS chap.) Not sure if that's possible to do automatically (probably not), but it would be a pretty cool thing to do if it's possible.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.