• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

Yeah, that was me. Good good :D

josht said:
AshleeKel said:
josht said:
AshleeKel said:
I'm wondering what's happening with queue construction. Shouldn't that have started by now?
Nah it takes days to make the queue line I think thirteens was done the night before :)

Is that actually true? I've heard it several times, but it's quite hard to comprehend :/
as far as I'm aware yeah :)

It was finished the night before, think the actual process probably started a bit before the day before opening though.

Is it just me that finds it weird that according to the plans and the game, the vertical lift isn't followed by a beyond vertical drop? I find it strange being as that is Gerstlauer's signature thing. Could this be a reason why they are leaving the construction of the second lift hill so late - so they can go and throw in a lift higher than we're anticipating and make a beyond vertical drop to precede the inverted drop? Maybe even the world's steepest? Would fit being next to Oblivion...

ianto42 said:
Is it just me that finds it weird that according to the plans and the game, the vertical lift isn't followed by a beyond vertical drop? I find it strange being as that is Gerstlauer's signature thing. Could this be a reason why they are leaving the construction of the second lift hill so late - so they can go and throw in a lift higher than we're anticipating and make a beyond vertical drop to precede the inverted drop? Maybe even the world's steepest? Would fit being next to Oblivion...

They can't build higher than the current lift-hill will go as they are already building to the maximum height they can on that site (Alton have very strict height limits). Best guess is they are not having a beyond vertical drop so as not to impact on the visual of Oblivions vertical drop.

But your right it is unusual for eurofighters to not have beyond vertical drops.

Mystery Mine has two vertical lifts, the first of which is followed by flat track ;)

I'm not sure if this counts as beyond vertical either...

ghl645d071i0019bdi9ano.jpg

In the covering letter, it said the ride would include a beyond vertical drop. The drawings do not appear to show one, but they also only showed eight inversions outside - so I guess there is still a possibility.

I've been wondering for a while if beyond vertical could of been referring to an inverted drop which is the name given to one of the inversions?

Just seems weird because thats what theyre renowned for. John Wardley always said they chose the manufacturer because of specific things they do well or are known for - such as intamin's lightweight trains for Th13teen. What are Gerstlauer famous for other than the vertical lift and subsequent drop? The vertical lift is there i guess but seems strange the drop isnt accompanying it. Maybe its the cramped track layout that they do well.

Yes, they can create very compact rollercoasters and are seemingly cheaper than many other manufacturers. The Smiler site is too small and rectangular to fit a large, sprawling rollercoaster. The vertical lift, for example, is a great way to save space, no other major manufacturers use them. They must have also been very quick to respond to Alton Towers' demands for a new type of rollercoaster. Most manufacturers would take a lot of time to develop new ideas.

And maybe they realised 'beyond vertical' drops are actually nothing special. In fact, vertical drops never really are, unless followed by a dark underground tunnel. The Smiler will not be at any disadvantage for not having one, as the double twisted drops are already far more interesting.

Having a beyond vertical drop will take attention from Oblivion. In the GPs eyes, why bother going on oblivion when this new ride drops even more, and goes upside down and stuff?
Obviously the Gerstlaur track is no match for the B&M, however in most of the publics eyes, it wouldnt make a difference, its all about inversions, drops and speed.
I know I am giving a major stereotype, but my family, my friends all think the same.

Obviously the Gerstlaur track is no match for the B&M, however in most of the publics eyes, it wouldnt make a difference, its all about inversions, drops and speed.
Well yes, inversions, drops and speed are far more exciting than the shape of the track. :twirly: But I know what you mean.

The great thing about The Smiler is it will be breathtakingly amazing for everybody who rides, regardless of their interest in theme parks. It is intimidating by its very nature, and does not totally rely on a trick or theme to be effective. Sure, it could turn out to be a horrible, uncomfortable experience, but it's still an incredible development.

Even the construction process is fascinating, as long as it opens at some point...

6a9usuzu.jpg
gadeba2a.jpg

More track being installed today.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

I can't even work out which part that is?! :/

That would be the remainder of the dive loop that crosses over the middle of the sea serpent roll. :)

I hope the quick pace of construction continues.

I imagine that once the dive loop is in place, they will construct the remaining air time hill, followed by the remaining Marmaliser legs. I would then presume the crane will move to the top of the site where it can construct the first inverted drop, then vertical lift, followed by final turn, then second inverted drop and finally the first lift hill. Looking at footers that are cast, and from a logistics point of view, that's how I view the current construction schedule.

electricBlll said:
The vertical lift, for example, is a great way to save space, no other major manufacturers use them.
Intamin can produce coasters with a vertical lift too...

0tipf0aca8ha711v8o00b7.jpg

They can also do compact, lap bars, inversions, etc... They probably did go with Gerstlauer because they're cheaper and also perhaps because they didn't want a repeat of Th13teen by paying a lot out for not a lot of coaster and for them then to have to call them back to fit trims to the ride (perhaps why Smiler has had trims fitted now rather having to have them added later, should Gerstlauer make a bit of a mess like Intamin did? :p ).

so do Maurer Söhne ;)

6a00d83451c3cb69e201156f8c9b47970c-400wi

(This post is merely an attempt to be pedantic :p )

Wow those two posts above certainly prove that aesthetically speaking, Gerst certainly does the best job of a vertical lift hill!

That Intamin contraption is horrid!

Sure but I don't think Maurer Söhne are all that reliable, and as far as I know (I don't claim to be a rollercoaster expert) the Eurofighter is the only ride type that can efficiently squeeze in a lift with such small space, considering the planning restrictions. I agree, those two examples look too bulky.

BigAl said:
They probably did go with Gerstlauer because they're cheaper and also perhaps because they didn't want a repeat of Th13teen by paying a lot out for not a lot of coaster and for them then to have to call them back to fit trims to the ride (perhaps why Smiler has had trims fitted now rather having to have them added later, should Gerstlauer make a bit of a mess like Intamin did? :p ).
I doubt Alton Towers/Merlin have much of a relationship with Intamin, certainly not as much as B&M. Although they were very pleased with the freefall drop in terms of efficiency.

Saw proved to be a very popular rollercoaster and there was a lot they could do with it in a small space. Naturally they would return to the Eurofighter format in the case of the Smiler, which deals with similarly small, blockish space and a requirement for an indoor section. And they can offer great, fun ride experiences when done well (although Saw was pretty average).

Ah, how could I forget Rip Ride Rockit....? ;)

:p

TheMan said:
Wow those two posts above certainly prove that aesthetically speaking, Gerst certainly does the best job of a vertical lift hill!

That Intamin contraption is horrid!

The Intamin lift doesn't look much different than a regular top hat element though...

fahrenheit.jpg

135820252.N5KhFscz.084.jpg

Plus they made one that could lift a train before Gerst or Maurer! ;D

electricBlll said:
BigAl said:
They probably did go with Gerstlauer because they're cheaper and also perhaps because they didn't want a repeat of Th13teen by paying a lot out for not a lot of coaster and for them then to have to call them back to fit trims to the ride (perhaps why Smiler has had trims fitted now rather having to have them added later, should Gerstlauer make a bit of a mess like Intamin did? :p ).
I doubt Alton Towers/Merlin have much of a relationship with Intamin, certainly not as much as B&M. Although they were very pleased with the freefall drop in terms of efficiency.
They've made two major coasters for them so that's probably enough of a relationship to work with, though after the recent cable snap, quality of Rita's ride and the trims having to be added to Th13teen, perhaps they were put-off a little. It wouldn't surprise me considering the Smiler will be one of their biggest investments.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.