• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Danny said:
Thanks to the Alton Towers Guide for this video, showing the lights in the entrance box.

Do I spy misters? Also it looks like the light from the marmalizer is sort of projecting onto the mist, looks pretty cool anyways ;p

BigAl said:
If we're going to be stood in a dark, narrow cattle pen for 2 hours listening to that on opening day... hmmm... :S

Edit: And before anyone points out that we've known about the music for a while since it was included in the game, I get that, but it seems louder rather than just ambient music in that video. It's also quite repetitive.

I think the music is meant to be quite repetitive as it makes it sound more mad and insane, it reminds me of Furius Baco's theme tune which builds up and builds up getting quicker and sounding more manic to increase the suspense. But surely we'd only be moaning if we couldn't hear it? I think loud is fine.

Saying that although it repeats I don't think its exactly the same

cotda said:
Danny said:
Thanks to the Alton Towers Guide for this video, showing the lights in the entrance box.

Do I spy misters? Also it looks like the light from the marmalizer is sort of projecting onto the mist, looks pretty cool anyways ;p

I think the mist that can be seen is coming from The Giggler and not the entrance itself.

:)

Here's the current look of The Smiler entrance.
0d3ba0b88f1c5230448ed8131cd64bbf_zps92401c38.jpg

I like how they've wired up all the cameras, it's little details like this that go unnoticed by most but do make a difference in bringing everything together. (Unless of course all of the cameras are real and actually work, then they need wiring up!)

I like how they all face different directions - it looks busy and exaggerated. I doubt they will move, but if they did that would infinitely improve it.

Still a rubbishy blank entrance, though. Meh, there's no such thing as perfection is there? :twirly:

The Smiler is really coming together now. You would never know how rushed the whole project was. I love hearing the music as well, even on a terrible quality recording like that. I assume it was done by PitStop Productions like other recent Merlin projects?

I think what I like best about The Smiler, is how it's theme is obviously a thematic treatise of surveillance and citizen's rights issues in the modern day United Kingdom. It's the world's first Satiricoaster. The yet to be revealed secret is that it was partially designed by Ian Hislop. It'll thrill you, and really make you think.

CoasterCrazyChris said:
Well the cameras are completely tacky, but at least they make the entrance look more visually interesting.

If you think they look tacky then I'm guessing you've not seen the fake cameras on Sub-Terra?

It does look a bit tacky, having so many, but it's a nice subtle reference and it breaks up the boxiness of the entrance so they're fine to me.

I'm going to have to be the oddball and say that I think the entrance looks worse with the cameras.

Now the final touches are being done, some of this ride is looking incredible. There's so much about this ride, such as the media coverage, landscaping etc. which feels like true secret weapon. So much about this ride looks really amazing, there's a really theatrical vibe which has been missing from many Merlin rides, which I'm glad to see.

However, there's so much about this ride which is godawful too! The station really, in my eyes anyway, is completely hideous. The Maintenance shed looks nice, but everything about the main building just looks a mess. For a ride with such a strong visual theme, a grey concrete box with some lazy yellow pipes, accompanied by a muddy green smaller plastic box with bright yellow sign just doesn't cut it.

It's a shame that the park are building what looks to be the ride which marks the return to form of the Secret Weapon, with a massive grey box for a station.

I agree that the station and shop are letting the ride down a bit. With a week to go until the ride opens I can't see anything significant being done about this. At least an amazing looking ride is hiding this fact to some extent! ;)

Towers are apparently considering additions to the station building. However I do not know when these additions would be added if they were to happen. The station building is undoubtedly very poor, the only saving grace as it were is that it is not the focal point of the ride.

What a mixed bag!

I like the cameras and I think with a bit more work I could learn to love the entrance.

The station is another story. It's a terrible, blocky, lifeless, filthy grey block. :S

Just some fake yellow boarded up windows, or painted stripes, or smile face patterns would really add to the station building. It will always be a grey box, but something more than pipes I think would at least make it more of an interesting building.

Rob said:
Towers are apparently considering additions to the station building. However I do not know when these additions would be added if they were to happen. The station building is undoubtedly very poor, the only saving grace as it were is that it is not the focal point of the ride.

Is this an afterthought by AT or was there always something planned but they ran out of time with the rush to get the ride testing etc?

aru said:
Rob said:

Is this an afterthought by AT or was there always something planned but they ran out of time with the rush to get the ride testing etc?

I'm not overly sure but I got the impression that it may be an afterthought.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.