• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
To be honest, the only part of the station I don't like it the big awkward empty space. I'd have thought they'd have put something there. Unless they're just waiting to the end to put big 'THE SMILER' signage on it. But I was expecting swirls or something to break it up.

Apart from that though, I don't think it's really bad at all. It's a bit plain and blocky but I think it's fine.

I do think just more swirls painted onto the concrete would make a big difference and create a really nice contrast against the angular concrete walls. It surely wouldn't cost that much either.

:)

I don't mind the station as its at the back, so your eye isn't drawn to it. If it was at the front of the ride directly in view it would look horrible.

Since you have this massive coaster infront of it, its not much of a problem.

Well the entrance is certainly looking better than it first did :) I still think that the big rectangular sign on top lets it down a bit. If it could have been contoured to the text and logo I think it would have looked a lot better (The same for Buy The Smiler), though seeing all the camera on it makes it look far more obvious.

Something I'd like to have seen would be the cameras moving around and one or two with an actual camera inside them which scans the crowds passing by. They could have then put one or two screens in the black area they've mounted the logo to and have them flicking between cameras in a CCTV style look. It'd really add to the surveillance and monitoring feel of the ride. They could have also adopted this potentially into the Marmaliser. Every now and then it breaks from the video and switches to cameras (Maybe have 4, 1 facing each way, and displaying on the matching side of the screen) pointing in the queue line. They could then overlay some sort of effects which look like the "face finder" you see on many digital cameras these days and zoom in to some places from time to time. Add some text with it similar to that in the video like "Smile Detected", etc. It doesn't even necessarily need to really work. Just look like it does to save a lot of money.

They could have also accompanied into the queue line or surrounding area some face photo boxes like those seen on Le Defi de Cesare which people stick their faces in, have a photo taken, then some digital trickery is applied to give them an overly huge smile (Cesare puts your face on a cartoon character and parades him around the room on a giant projector screen. It's really cool, especially when you end up on a busty viking woman :p ). The faces could either flick around the Marm screen from time to time, or just some screens around the place.

Something like that could have really set this all off if you ask me :)

I hope the LED queue time display is Yellow/black and not green like all the other newer riders TH13TEEN, Sub-Terra and Ice Age) as it would look out of place!

Overall it's looking so nice that its now all finally coming together. I can't wait to see what it looks like in person tomorrow, and then again on opening day.

In terms of the station, I dont mind it too much as it is quite hidden with it being at the back of the site, but I do think more patterns and Smiler logos on the front would be better, like the maintence building has.

Ian said:
They could have also accompanied into the queue line or surrounding area some face photo boxes like those seen on Le Defi de Cesare which people stick their faces in, have a photo taken, then some digital trickery is applied to give them an overly huge smile (Cesare puts your face on a cartoon character and parades him around the room on a giant projector screen. It's really cool, especially when you end up on a busty viking woman :p )

They're legionnaires actually :p (sorry, big Asterix fan here) but yes I think that would be a fun idea. Of course, you can then purchase the resulting photo!

I find the more I can compare a station/ride building to something I've actually seen in the 'real world' the more engaging I find it. As James said, boarded up windows or such things would add to that effect. The only big ugly grey block I can think of locally is the Cardiff University psychology building, and even that has some weird pattern thing on it to break up the monotony.

I'm happy to see additions made as the season/years progress though. Keeps things interesting and sort of reassures us that the park is still interested in the rides!

(First serious AT post in ages)

I actually like the station. There I said it.

It's not the most exciting building in the world, no doubt about that, but for a rollercoaster station I think it fits perfectly with the theme (plus personally I like the look of it anyway). To me it gives off the vibe of a mysterious facility, which is exactly what it's meant to look like isn't it? It's not like they was going to spend millions on something when a "concrete box" will do. It's a rollercoaster station at the end of the day, not the Burj Khalifa. :p

As for the entrance, I do think it looks kinda naff. But you know what? I honestly don't care. This is a rollercoaster with 14 inversions, amazing theming, landscaping, backstory & effects. Yet people feel the need to pipe up about a yellow box that to be fair could be much worse? Give up and love this top class ride for what it is! :)

This isn't me doing one of those "Stop moaning it's not finished yet" type posts btw, I'm just a non-enthusiast trying to put it into perspective. ;)

I've said it before, parts of this project aren't as good as others, things like the entrance and station could have been better, but weighed up against the ride itself, with its 14 inversions, air time and insane layout, they don't really matter much. You walk through the entrance in about half a second.

Blaze said:
I've said it before, parts of this project aren't as good as others, things like the entrance and station could have been better, but weighed up against the ride itself, with its 14 inversions, air time and insane layout, they don't really matter much. You walk through the entrance in about half a second.

Air time, considering the size of that hill it looks more like a friggin rocket launch!! I am NOT looking forward to that, I HATE Saws air time hill. Saying that, I do love the one on Colossus.

I think the entrance looks good, and is pretty much consistent visually and thematically with the rest of the ride. It just looks slightly odd because it's so tall and exposed, rather than because of it's actual aesthetic design. I'm just glad they didn't leave the Black Hole entrance there because that would've been lazy, ill-fitting and hideous.

I'm glad the rainbow stairs made it from the plans to reality. I love a good rainbow, makes me happy and cheerful.

Did this just for fun, will finish it properly when the soundtrack actually comes out...

thesmilertheme2.jpg

Bit hard to transcribe being off pitch but not impossible :twirly:

I don't know if it's been mentioned but yesterday I found out that if you scan the entrance with the game the sign comes alive look
165495_662650550427577_44557162_n_zpsbb041b92.jpg

credit to Theme Park Worldwide

The game does it on any picture of the logo and has done since it came out. It's pretty cool that it works on the entrance though :)

Went to see The Smiler today, first time since before Christmas that I have actually bothered to go look at the site when on park.

The supports look a little battered in places and could do with a touch up, the building seems covered in mud splashes in places, the landscaping that went in in some places is dying already and needs a prune, the gates to access the landscaping don't look like they were designed to be there, there is no latch and they are kept shut by a crappy bit of chain, lastly towards the toilets it looks like they have recycled on piece of fence from The Black Whole but without cleaning and repainting it.

Towseriv said:
Went to see The Smiler today, first time since before Christmas that I have actually bothered to go look at the site when on park.

The supports look a little battered in places and could do with a touch up, the building seems covered in mud splashes in places, the landscaping that went in in some places is dying already and needs a prune, the gates to access the landscaping don't look like they were designed to be there, there is no latch and they are kept shut by a crappy bit of chain, lastly towards the toilets it looks like they have recycled on piece of fence from The Black Whole but without cleaning and repainting it.

- The supports and building will be jetwashed prior to opening;
- The plants only went in last week and will probably need to adapt to their new soil;
- That area is for cherrypicker access and is obviously not finished;
- I didn't notice the recycled fencing, possibly due to the enormous rollercoaster just next door.

Bear said:
Towseriv said:

- The supports and building will be jetwashed prior to opening;
- The plants only went in last week and will probably need to adapt to their new soil;
- That area is for cherrypicker access and is obviously not finished;
- I didn't notice the recycled fencing, possibly due to the enormous rollercoaster just next door.

To be fair I only noticed the fence since I was stood waiting for 15min for people in the toilets, however having just had the press evening you would have thought this would have been dealt with before that. Also jet washing won't put paint on the places that have already been battered.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.