• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Not sure what I enjoyed more, the speculation about a washing machine or the speculation about the reason it's not open?

I was at the Towers today between around 10.30 - 11.30 AM just renewing my annual pass (co-incidentally so that I wouldn't have to mess around before getting into the park tomorrow to ride The Smiler) and I went down into X-Sector for a bit to go on Oblivion and see if anything was going on with the new ride. There's every chance that this is unrelated to why it's not ready for opening but there was a train stuck in the middle of the ascent on the vertical lift with around 4-5 engineers on a cherry picker messing with it. It didn't move at all in the time that I was there. Didn't bother getting a pic as I thought "hey, it's opening tomorrow, why bother".

Panda said:
picsart1369230423501.jpg

Post of the decade.

Absolutely f'ing brilliant!

Diogo - you have now lost your Hilter sized crown.

T said:
Edit: Rob, does this mean we will get one of your updates again before the 'Launch;, whenever that appears to be?! THERE IS LIGHT AT THE END OF THE (already very bright inside) TUNNEL!

Yes! If The Smiler does not open by Saturday, then I shall have another photo update on Saturday evening. See, not everything is bad! ;)

On a completely serious note though, this reminds me a lot of the opening of Blue Fire at Europa Park...

:)

Rob said:
T said:
Edit: Rob, does this mean we will get one of your updates again before the 'Launch;, whenever that appears to be?! THERE IS LIGHT AT THE END OF THE (already very bright inside) TUNNEL!

Yes! If The Smiler does not open by Saturday, then I shall have another photo update on Saturday evening. See, not everything is bad! ;)
THIS makes me feel happy!

So annoyed- I'm not even going tomorrow, but people are booking days off, transport, hotels, all for nothing now- Alton are going to get such bad publisity now, I can't think what could of gone wrong to cause such a short notice delay.
Not opening for the weekend will be worse- and dont forget next weeks half term! So many people will be going next week, so I nust pray to god it will be open.
Doubt it though.

I'm sure that the ride will be open by the end of half term or Towers will have a big problem on their hands...

Maybe this will make Towers build rides much earlier than they currently are. There is certainly no excuse for a half finished rice now, but this should never happen in the first place!

Andrew said:
I'm sure that the ride will be open by the end of half term or Towers will have a big problem on their hands...

Maybe this will make Towers build rides much earlier than they currently are. There is certainly no excuse for a half finished rice now, but this should never happen in the first place!

When is there ever an excuse for half finished rice!

Seriously though, maybe the fault (if a health and safety issue) is not with the ride, and is with the area?

I've heard that they have moved that extended queue line from infront of the towers now to outside Guest Services on TowersStreet

If these rumours about H&S are true I can see why. Anyone who was previously ridden the ride will have done so but not via the normal public routes and will have worn a hard hat around the site area. If there are station elements and public walkways that are not signed off then this is understandable even though the ride itself is fine.

Of course, although I say it's understandable, it's not acceptable. These things should have been sorted way before the day before opening.

To be honest, I'm with Diogo, T and Jared.

This is hilarious.

There probably would have been a time when this would have annoyed me, but their sheer hopelessness is nothing shot of comedy gold.

The irony of this ride being called The Smiler when it has annoyed us more than any other ride with its stream of delays and problems is absolutely hilarious

This is bloody ridiculous. I can't believe they've only gave 20 hours notice to say it's not opening tomorrow, not going to be a lot of happy faces tomorrow.

Disappointed Alton, the whole construction of this ride has been a joke ::)

This is disgraceful. I don't claim to know much about the theme park industry, but it really doesn't take a genius to work out that a ride opening date - especially one that people are likely to book days off work/make travel arrangements/spend a lot of money on tickets for - should only be announced when they are 100 PERCENT sure that it is definite. This isn't excusable at all.

I never used to understand the negativity towards Towers from a lot of enthusiasts, constantly wearing my rose tinted spectacles. I managed to overlook Towers' faults before because... Well, I don't really know why. I suppose I was just clinging on to the little trace of the magic that the place used to have. Alas, I can't see it any more, this has just tipped me over the edge and any magic that I used to see has gone now.

I've lost a lot of respect for Alton Towers today. This is just not cricket. Not only am I disappointed myself, I feel sorry for people who have made special arrangements to ride The Smiler.

I doubt the thing will be open on Friday, but I'll still go, because I have made arrangements with someone who probably won't be bothered about The Smiler. However, I won't enjoy the day as much I don't think, and when I see the beast, a little part of me will die, as I am no longer excited to ride it. Yesterday I was positively buzzing but now I'm like "meh, going to the Towers on Friday. cool(ish)"

I'm definitely NOT smiling!

The ride opening has been delayed while they track down the exact shade of paint the pipes on Re-Hydrator were when Oblivion opened. They won't dare open it with that sort of atmosphere so close by.

Dobba said:
The ride opening has been delayed while they track down the exact shade of paint the pipes on Re-Hydrator were when Oblivion opened. They won't dare open it with that sort of atmosphere so close by.
Alton are loosing thousands tomorrow, they'll do anything to get it open, I doubt they'd delay it for something as petty as that.

Oops, didnt realize the sarcasm :3 lol

I have found the reason why H&S would not sign the ride off!!

P1050303.JPG

The legs were not bolted down & the horn was too noisy!

Just also going to randomly add here, that whilst I find the nature of this disgusting for all those who have wasted time/money/holidays to be given such short notice, I DO feel incredibly sorry for the poor staff who will have to pick up the pieces for this.

Ride Ops, Hosts, Guest Services all the people who put so much in to making Alton Towers what it is, a remarkably special place to visit, are likely to have a hellish day tomorrow.

If I make it on park, I will be doing my damnedest to ensure that I am polite, patient, courteous & chatty - as I always am when there anyway, but tomorrow I will be making an extra effort as I am all too aware of what kind of abuse you can get.

It is not their fault remotely, and they will likely face a tough day.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.