• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I'm now treating a 2014 opening as a very real and kind of likely possibility. Anyone else thinking this?

It had better be open before the summer properly starts - otherwise they're going to have an even bigger mess on their hands.

Dobba said:
The ride opening has been delayed while they track down the exact shade of paint the pipes on Re-Hydrator were when Oblivion opened. They won't dare open it with that sort of atmosphere so close by.
Another hilarious comment! This topic is full of them!

For the record, I don't care in the slightest about it being delayed. It's going to open eventually.

It was satin black by the way.

Whilst I feel for the people who booked specifically for opening (even though I think that was a pretty insane decision given both expected queue times and the state of the site even a few days ago, not to mention the park's recent joke track record with new openings) - I can't help but feel that some of the reactions are a bit hysterical. 'Someone should lose their job'; 'I've lost all respect for AT' etc etc - have a bit of perspective. Worse things happen at sea.

If it has failed an H&S check today, then it sums up the whole project. If everything had gone to schedule then the final H&S check would have been done earlier than the day before opening, meaning that if it was to fail there would be time to rectify any issues. As I said there was still quite a lot of work to be done on Tuesday, even with a delay of over 2 months things were coming down to the wire.

Towers know they have problems when it comes to planning new attractions too late. They now need to take action to prevent it in the future.

:)

The train that is currently on lift 2, is tied onto the track.

They have been looking at the top of lift 2 this afternoon.

The other train is where it broke down on Friday on lift 1. (well looks like it)

I think I might know something to go back in time and make sure this whole project all worked correctly...
timetraveldelorean.jpg

But in all seriousness, this whole thing should be made into a docudrama someday, 'cause the whole thing deserves to be told to the world how not to build a ride!

Oh my goodness!

It's a ride opening that's been delayed, nothing worse. We don't know the reason why and I'm inclined to give Towers the benefit of the doubt. They evidently felt pressured in giving an opening date because so many people were moaning that there was one not present, and put off giving another delay because they wanted to adhere to it so the public, including you guys, did not feel let down. The reason why you found out twenty hours before was almost certainly because they had the best interest of the public at heart. It is evidently a project that's seen difficulties from the start, many of them out of Alton Towers's control. That you guys are making such hyperbolic attacks represents an extreme immaturity and petulance that I hope you don't translate to the guest contact workers tomorrow, because whatever it is, it's definitely not their fault.
Sadly the way some of you have been reacting I think those poor people will suffer from your tempers. Seriously, does this deserve such an outrage? Really? All that goes on in the world today and this is your reaction? It would make sense to calm down, wait a second and see what Alton Towers say. This probably isn't because of some great shambles so before you demand that 'heads roll' and they make a 'docudrama' out of this, wait to see what the situation is going to be. These people are paid money to plan. If nothing else just laugh at the situation, because it doesn't deserve anything more than that.

I am prepared to take on whatever people throw at me, because honestly I feel worse for Alton Towers than I do for a lot of you. I do feel for those who have made an extra effort to get to the opening, but no one is hurt, it's not really you guys losing any money especially if you can change your transport/accomodation details. It's a big disappointment but sometimes I feel people are negative for the sake of negativity, and today it has just reached extremes.

Bring on the attacks, but I've said my two cents.

kamfira said:
I do feel for those who have made an extra effort to get to the opening, but no one is hurt, it's not really you guys losing any money especially if you can change your transport/accomodation details.

Have you ever attempted to change or get a refund on an already purchased train ticket? There's more chance of me winning the lottery (and I don't even enter it).

Next Friday I have been told, it's no H&S issues they have been signed off in principle due to re-assesment, its an electrical problem hense the pathways being dug up, a couple of days should do it but no definite day will be announced but next Friday is pencilled in.

Alastair said:
kamfira said:
I do feel for those who have made an extra effort to get to the opening, but no one is hurt, it's not really you guys losing any money especially if you can change your transport/accomodation details.

Have you ever attempted to change or get a refund on an already purchased train ticket? There's more chance of me winning the lottery (and I don't even enter it).

Funnily enough, I have, several times. Takes a couple of weeks sometimes, but it comes. Make sure you do it before the train departs!

I'm glad they have admitted to an *UNFORESEEN* issue today. I'd rather know today and be a bit disappointed, than not know and turn up and be a lot angry tomorrow.

kamfira said:
I am prepared to take on whatever an angry little nerd throws at me, because honestly I feel worse for Alton Towers than I do for a lot of you.

Glad somebody has summoned the guts to stick up for the multi-million pound theme park.

I really think Alton should have shot for a much later official opening date, and then started with softs when ready.

Plastic Person said:
kamfira said:
I am prepared to take on whatever an angry little nerd throws at me, because honestly I feel worse for Alton Towers than I do for a lot of you.

Glad somebody has summoned the guts to stick up for the multi-million pound theme park.

I really think Alton should have shot for a much later official opening date, and then started with softs when ready.

Considering no one else really is and I'm probably going to get a good deal of attacks for this, then I'd say it takes a bit of guts.
Oh no, multi-million theme park must mean we can't sympathise with them. Why did no one tell me that before! I must make myself forget that this has the potential to be catastrophic for Towers.

kamfira said:
Plastic Person said:
kamfira said:

Considering no one else really is and I'm probably going to get a good deal of attacks for this, then I'd say it takes a bit of guts.
Oh no, multi-million theme park must mean we can't sympathise with them. Why did no one tell me that before! I must make myself forget that this has the potential to be catastrophic for Towers.

I'm very much a fence sitting, lapsed enthusiast. I've been visiting Alton Towers for twenty years, and I wasn't going tomorrow, although I would like to ride The Smiler as soon as I can.

Your definition of guts is curious. Reading this topic, I've seen lots of witty and a few ridiculous responses to the delay. But at the end of the day, Alton Towers are not a community project. They're a premium product, and they have a responsibility to offer what they advertise, and on time. Fortunately, we will all get to ride it sooner rather than later, but it's as difficult to feel 'sympathy' for Alton Towers as it is to the most rabid Wardleyite.

Vez, with respect, people are allowed to be annoyed that a 2 month delayed project is not going to be ready for its rescheduled opening day. I understand that emotions run high and people are maybe getting a bit too excessively angry at the park but really I think that a lot of people have a right to be annoyed. Many have booked hotels, tickets and trains. Many more have taken a holiday day to come to the opening day. Many people will now be out of pocket.

The thing is that there is no official reasoning or explanation about this. I know we don't have a right to know but it would be nice of Towers to offer an explanation or at least try to explain what has gone wrong this time...

Nobody will be attacking you for having an opinion, and anyone who does will be breaking our rules as we are all entitled to think what we want. However, I do think that, for once, people are actually well within their rights to be negative here and are not just doing so for the sake of it.

kamfira said:
Plastic Person said:
kamfira said:

Whilst I have been sympathetic with them in the past, a multi-million pound company, shouldn't feel 'pressured' into giving a date. They should have had everything signed off and completed within weeks of the opening date, the only reason that this could have happened is they have rushed to get open for half term so that they can make more money, if they had have taken their time, it would have been a much less eventful launch.

Missing the deadline once is irritating, twice is just bad planning and rushing to squeeze as much money out as possible.

- Nothing against your views, I just feel this way!

[EDIT] Also, just to add some background to my post, it actually doesnt affect me, I have an exam anyway :p

Scott said:
The thing is that there is no official reasoning or explanation about this. I know we don't have a right to know but it would be nice of Towers to offer an explanation or at least try to explain what has gone wrong this time...
Airgates have stated on Twitter that there are problems with the vertical lift, which could be a reason for the delay.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.