• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

902975_10151419785188026_662065516_o.jpg

Credit: Balb0wa

I think that shipping container stored all the barrels/drums judging by that picture.

Team Edit Credit applied. Please credit pictures when posting on the forum - thanks :)

I think I am going to try and reserve judgement until I see it finished.

As for good looking coasters, it does not not great, in a sense of nice curves like Blue Fire, but for looking impressive and intimidating, the track and supports certainly do a good job of that.

I think the fact it is completely different to any other ride on the park is a good thing, having two identical coasters on park would take the shine off them both, so I think having different and unique rides will be a good thing.

I think the worry will all share is just how much of the corner is Merlin going to cut to get it open sooner than later, and if they do open it early, will it get anything added to it during closed season.

Ian

BigAl said:
Hang on, are those bins strapped to the inoculator? :p

Yeah it seems they are.... Ohh dear ;)

Thats my pic ;-) , it has to be said, this thing looks great when your next to it, the size of the marmaliser , really impressive.

I had contemplated not posting in this topic anymore, but now i've decided if people don't like my critique then tough.

I think Merlin must be admired for their theming attempts on this ride. To a certain degree, The Smiler looks set to bring back the sense of showmanship that we saw with Nemesis and Oblivion in terms of the sheer wow factor that you get from good interaction between a coaster and its themed elements (which this certainly has!) but was lost with the likes of Air, Rita and Th13teen.

However, despite the abundance of theming the innocluator appears to be getting, nothing changes the fact that yellow painted car wash brushes and plastic bins are simply crude and tacky whichever way you look at them. In fact, I would argue that the LED board is the only genuinely quality thematic detail on the spider, and we haven't even see it work yet!

Come on now...plastic yellow painted bins? Really?

Balb0wa said:
Thats my pic ;-) , it has to be said, this thing looks great when your next to it, the size of the marmaliser , really impressive.

Sorry, I just got linked to it then. I'll edit the description now. :)

EDIT: The Team has done it for me. Thanks. :)

I think my only issue with the innoculator is that it could do with a syringe or two on the other side.

The 'bins' as you call them are actually quite cool, love the biohazard smiler logos on them too.

I think Towers are trying to use a bit of Dark Humour on this ride, similarly to how Oblivion is. The Smiler has a more comical, hypnotic side to it, which I personally quite like.

I think they do need to add a bit of cladding to the structure, and hope they are going to make the station building look a bit nicer too, but otherwise, I like it.

I'm looking for positives here but when you're seeing the area being plastered with dustbins painted yellow, sorry, I meant 'Toxic Barrels' and old sky satellite dishes, it's pretty hard.

I don't think the yellow bins look bad at all. But still...they are bins :/

Andrew said:
I think that shipping container stored all the barrels/drums judging by that picture.

NO WAY! Andrew, you are right!! A shipping container was actually used... wait for it... for SHIPPING!

:eek:

BigAl said:
Hang on, are those bins strapped to the inoculator? :p

Thanks Al. ;D

Dave said:
I think it's unfair to say only people with a positive opinion have been having a go at those with a negative opinion. It's been a two sided thing with people in either camp being as unforgiving as each other but we really need to move the debate away from people's reactions and keep it on beating the Smiler, whether you like it or don't like it.

I beg to differ. Time and again on this forum (Indeed, it was the same on TTF), the "negative" camp directs it's moaning at the ride / park / Merlin, while the "positive" camp get's inexplicably offended by this and starts having a go at the the "negative" people, often getting quite personal with comments like "If you don't like it, we don't want you here".

*sigh*

But anyway, back on topic...
While I agree that the use of bins on the innoculator leg is rather cringeworthy, at least they are obviously different to the oil drums on the giggler leg.

There are openings on the front of the syringes, I'm hoping there will be some kind of backlit LED panel there, a greeny-yelly glow would work well.

As for what comes out of the needles, It's going to be water jets, isn't it? Just as long as it's not as powerful as The Swarm's "splash" jets... which halfway through last season were turned to face the ride and proved to be rather painful. ::)

I am starting to warm to the theme. It has a sinister feel but almost comic book, sort of like the Tim Burton Batman films. Despite this tongue and cheek vibe I think it is still minimal and industrial enough to fit into X-Sector. The station might get away with being bare concrete on the condition that there is some quality details! ;D

My theory that the giggler will fire smoke out of the barrels and the needles might have some some bubbling liquid visible via the windows in the front. With all the effects going off as the carriages fly round it will probably attract lots of onlookers. Whatever the details it is a talking point and very very unique - I think the public will love it. :)

I hadn't noticed that they were bins to be honest, and even though I now know they are bins i'm still not too fussed. I like to use a bit of imagination (I always thought that that was the point of theming - you're not really in a haunted house/wild west/haunted lost vault of Alton Towers - I've always assumed themeing is part of an illusion :p) and they obviously wanted a different shape container to the barrels used elsewhere.

What will rile me is if the paint job is shoddy and it either chips off / washes off / fades over the following seasons. It's quite explanatory at the moment what the containers contain, but if you look up and wonder why a syringe is connected to a bin the illusion is somewhat destroyed. The ug land retheme springs to mind...

I have all my fingers crossed for the station building though right now - it will be sad to see it left as a concrete box as it ages horrifically. I get the feeling that Merlin and some on here will be of the opinion "oh yes, its the look we're going for" but an aged, degraded look should never be left to nature - it is a lazy excuse for themeing. Disney spend good time and money ensuring that some of their attractions look old - thinking Phantom Manor / Haunted Mansion. However, because its very much "imagineered" they still look stunning whilst looking aged. AT itself has a great example of this in Duel - when it opened it looked brilliant, and still does so today.

aru said:
My theory that the giggler will fire smoke out of the barrels and the needles might have some some bubbling liquid visible via the windows in the front.

Even better. :D

The giggler will probably be water mist like Oblivion rather than smoke though.

I very much doubt the Inoculator will fire water. At that point of the ride the train will be near its maximum speed, so being hit by water which is itself travelling at speed would be incredibly painful.

Not to mention you don't intentionally aim water at any ride bar transit attractions or water rides because over time it causes too much damage. This is why you will only get wet on the likes of Ripsaw when the operator intentionally makes it happen.

The most I can imagine the Inoculator doing is blasting air at you like the crossbows found on Saw.

Looking at the wooden structure at the bottom of the site might well be smiler games.

You say that, Tim, but as I said, The Swarm's splash jets were deliberately turned round to face the train last summer. it made riding on the outer right hand seats very painful, as they smacked you right in the face at hight speed.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

I understand that using 'theming' bins is a bit tacky, but many were speculating that the 'spider' (as known at the time) would not even feature in the finished product! I'm in 'camp positive' though as this is the most exciting think to happen to the towers since nemesis, in my eyes anyway.

It's different to anything we have seen as far as gerst are concerned for sure. It has a VERY impressive layout, and actually has a solid theme! Regardless of how the theme is implemented, it's is consistent and intriguing. It's certainly got the public excited, looking at FB anyway.

I really think this is bigger/better than anything merlin have even attempted before and I (for one, maybe) think that this truly could put Alton firmly back on the worldwide radar.

There will always be niggles, there will always be parts that people don't like, but nothing denies that this is a world class coaster and can finally appease any enthusiast, any fan, any thrill-seeker from across the globe.

(This could all change after I have ridden the thing and it turns out to be a forceless, wet and uncomfortable let-down - although I am sure this wont be the case)

It's tacky because the shape is so easily recognisable and blatant. The same applied to the barrels and they aren't the right type to give the effect.

However, would this impress and captivate me if I were 12? Yes. That's the problem for most of us - seeing things through critically adult eyes.

DiogoJ42 said:
You say that, Tim, but as I said, The Swarm's splash jets were deliberately turned round to face the train last summer. it made riding on the outer right hand seats very painful, as they smacked you right in the face at hight speed.

Yes but I don't think they deliberative did that to hit the train. When I last rode it the effect came close but didn't make contact which is how I presume it was meant to be.

This isn't Legoland ;)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.