• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

Personally I didnt notice they were bins I thought they were old oil containers. One things for sure, unless the car wash thing spins, and the needle things squirt, and the bin things gas, and the screen thing looks pretty, and the flasher thing flashes, the whole thing is going to be a bit, erm, stupid!

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

CoasterCrazyChris said:
Tom said:
However, would this impress and captivate me if I were 12? Yes. That's the problem for most of us - seeing things through critically adult eyes.

Ah, that explains the posts made on TowersTimes then. ;)
Brilliant!

I agree on how the themeing is tacky in parts (a lot of parts) but who would of thought a fibreglass and wood station would work in a theme such as nemesis? A tin shed and a couple of metal tubes sticking out the mud for oblivion? A scaffold hire centre for failteen?

All this combined with a "worlds first" and "world beating" roller coaster should hopefully come together to make a masterpiece!

This is huge for Alton and is exactly what is needed to get the gp interested again. Seriously, how many people are going to even give a second thought to them using bins as 'tanks' or whatever? Maybe 500? How many people will ride it in its first year? 1/2 a million at a guess?

When people come off this ride, they will think wow! I will think wow! We all will think wow! (Again, hopefully,) not "well I'm disappointed they used a bin rather than an actual hazardous waste container, that completely ruined it for me!"

Just to point out... The "drums" on the innoculator are indeed bins, but the ones on the giggler are actually oil drums (or potentially those pop up wash baskets)...

So colossus has a theoretical throughput of 1300pph... Jesus, just how bad are the ops, or more to the point, how bad are thorpes operations?

So, I assume they will be taking this information down sooner rather than later. When does that 13 inversion coaster open, if not already open.

Imagine the poor sod who reads that crap & buys one to beat the "world record" then by the time its built its already beaten by at least 2 others. (Granted, I think they might twig)

Whoops they may want to update that page. And another thing, This marmaliser just needs some cladding and maybe a car wash change/ clean every year and it will be fine! Also some yellow colouring to the air that may come out of the giggler.

Theoretically, I could run a marathon in under 3 hours...but that's If I train constantly and really work at it!

Collosus could achieve 1300 ph in absolute perfect loading conditions I.e trains that could be loaded/unloaded easily enough, queue jumping faff, fastrack faff...a whole number of things really!

EDIT: to stay on topic...yellow colouring would be an amazing addition to the giggler!

DiogoJ42 said:
I like how Intamin are still advertising their inversion record breaking coasters :p

hahahah! Off topic a bit, but REALLY worth posting this beauty...

By carefully selecting the sequence and style of inversions
with the emphasis on smooth transitions and heartline
rolls, this coaster will be less stressful than many
coasters with fewer inversions

Has anyone at Intamin actually ridden their own coasters?

Intamin have never been on ANY coasters by the sounds of it!

They have really gone down in my estimations after reading that bilge!

DiogoJ42 said:
Dave said:
I think it's unfair to say only people with a positive opinion have been having a go at those with a negative opinion. It's been a two sided thing with people in either camp being as unforgiving as each other but we really need to move the debate away from people's reactions and keep it on beating the Smiler, whether you like it or don't like it.

I beg to differ. Time and again on this forum (Indeed, it was the same on TTF), the "negative" camp directs it's moaning at the ride / park / Merlin, while the "positive" camp get's inexplicably offended by this and starts having a go at the the "negative" people, often getting quite personal with comments like "If you don't like it, we don't want you here".

*sigh*

Yes that does happen but then some in the negative camp taunt those who are positive calling them "blind fan boys" and so on... Both sides do it and it has to stop. Again though can we keep on topic, if people think there is a genuine issue that needs discussion use Guest Services.

Thanks.

So TTF appear to think we're getting a games unit where the surveillance van themeing element was going to go. Certainly from their pictures it's looking like either that, a shop or a photo point.

I'd suggest it's unlikely to be the shop or photopoint, the station is easily big enough for either of these two things I think.

Yeah it's a games unit, suppose it replaces the one that used to sit next to black hole tent.

Surprised it is a game unit with such a big one in Oblivions shop.

There seems to be no real pattern of shop/photo placement - it seems a bit small for games though, yet a good size for a photo placement, about the same as all the recent ones.

Thing about having that amount of space for ride photos, is that is valuable merch space, I admit I was struggling to imagine how you would end up there though straight after the ride to check the photos out, so I guess games makes the most sense in that regard.

Maybe be it is a storage shed for a shipping container, to keep it nice and shiny?

OR... it may house loads of spare satellite dishes? (Sorry, someone had to say it ;D - may as well be me).

TheMan said:
Surprised it is a game unit with such a big one in Oblivions shop.

It's an ideal place for one given the massively high footfall this area will get later this season from people exiting The Smiler shop.

It's all about the money, money, money...

:)

I don't think it seems like a games unit though because it is quite small.

It could possibly be a basketball shooter type game which is housed inside a themed building to make it fit into the area though.

I just wonder where most of the theming has disappeared to...

The van and the small head-choppers are nowhere to be seen yet, and it makes me wonder something: Why does the Swarm get so much theming like the ambulance and the telephone box to name a few whereas The Smiler gets the Marmaliser and a concrete building?

Interesting video of the second airtime hill being put in - the one they put originally in the wrong way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0EQiFsezRA#ws

Skip to 1:55 and watch as the poor Crane driver loses control of the track and it hits the following piece of track and the metal fence. He then hits the proceeding track again just after 6:25. Must say I don't envy his job. The amount of skill it takes to get the track and supports around the already maze of track and into position must be difficult. Hats off to him, things like this must happen quiet a few times on construction sites, but are rarely seen by the public.

Apparently what happened was they had it the wrong way round and proceeded to install the piece. Two bolts were installed then the site foreman realised it was the wrong way so they had to take it out and turn it around. Once turned around they had to move the already installed pieces apart so they could fit this piece in (hence why they don't concrete in the footers till track work is complete) - unfortunately for them the equipment they used broke and the crane had to create a gap for the piece to fit. It took them around 3 hours just to install this second airtime hill piece. Luck wasn't on their side that day along with many other days during this construction period.

Heres to a smooth construction period from here on out. :D

Andrew said:
I don't think it seems like a games unit though because it is quite small.

It could possibly be a basketball shooter type game which is housed inside a themed building to make it fit into the area though.

I just wonder where most of the theming has disappeared to...

The van and the small head-choppers are nowhere to be seen yet, and it makes me wonder something: Why does the Swarm get so much theming like the ambulance and the telephone box to name a few whereas The Smiler gets the Marmaliser and a concrete building?

You do realise there's still over a month before this is rumoured to be opening?

Rollercoasters4Life said:
Interesting video of the second airtime hill being put in - the one they put originally in the wrong way.

Haha!! That is a tense bit of video in the context of this ride. Ironic as well that the guy no doubt stressing about getting this track around such a tight space, bangs into a sign that says "SMILE. ALWAYS"

;D

You have to admit the building of this is entertaining. Frustrating and annoying at times, divisive, controversial, but always, always entertaining.

Quickly made this before I go to sleep to show what the end result of the Inoculator leg could look like:

CompletedMarmaliserLeg_zps6a2bb1b0.jpg

Andrew said:
I would argue that a collection of broken vehicles and a rather boxy church fail to convey the striking "urban devastation" that they were going for. The Swarm uses the method of having as many theming 'objects' and effects as possible in hope of filling space. The result is most people 'wow' at the fire, but don't realise it is supposed to be an alien invasion; the ride gives them little reason to care about anything other than the coaster itself.

Instead Alton Towers is being much smarter by building one central structure that stands over the area like a huge industrial claw, which visually establishes the the theme and has character. It will look cool wherever you stand in X Sector, look imposing from underneath, and exciting during the 4+ times you interact with it on the ride (as well as looking rather silly). It's more than just a big head-chopper or some disconnected theming object; it will be integral to the experience.

I don't think the Smiler needs anymore 'objects', to be honest. The rusty spiked arches that were proposed would have no purpose now (maybe they fit an earlier idea?) and would just be theming for the sake of it. I wouldn't mind if they did appear, but it's no loss if they don't. The van, however, would have been rubbish. Really, what impression is a parked van with satellite dishes supposed to give? I'm sure the only reason Merlin Studios love to use vehicles is because they are cheap second hand and can be so easily styled. They are also a rubbish, overused visual motif! :twirly:

That being said The Smiler still needs something more... They must have other tricks still to come. Personally I wish the station had been designed in a more complex way, it's a shame since the rest of X Sector has a very unique style of architecture that they haven't utilised here. Anyway I trust the interior will look better when finished, let's hope they capitalise on the 'build up' to the ride, just like its neighbour Oblivion.
_________

Does anybody know for sure who the team is working on The Smiler's theme design? At a guess Candy Holland is involved again, who has been on the team since at least Nemesis I think.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.