• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

AshleeKel said:
LiamC said:
All this van speculation brings up the question of what was actually under the tarpaulin when TT posted a picture of a "van" some months ago now ::)

I don't remember that :/

image.jpg

LiamC said:
All this van speculation brings up the question of what was actually under the tarpaulin when TT posted a picture of a "van" some months ago now ::)

An Ice Cream van

Yep, that looks like an ice cream van to me.

Back on topic, I'm glad they are putting in the names of the legs. I was concerned they would be leaving them out!

In fact, when you look at Alton's ice cream van, you can see the ice cream cones underneath the tarpaulin. :p

images

With regards to the van I can only imagine it has no relevance to the current theme. There's no point putting a van there for the sake of it. Hopefully the games unit will be themed to fit in with The Smiler. They're building it from scratch which is positive, it could have easily just been a shipping container!

:)

Dave said:
From TowersStreet Facebook Page:
547869_468835399853576_1221715403_n.jpg

Wonder what those thin poles are for (not the supports ;D) that are set into the concrete?

Start of an outline of the queueline?

rightbackgranty said:
Wonder what those thin poles are for (not the supports ;D) that are set into the concrete?

Start of an outline of the queueline?

They're supports for proximity fencing - to stop people getting too close to the track.

Potential dense question but at I right in saying the belief was that the design was originally for a spiderman themed ride?

Towseriv said:
Potential dense question but at I right in saying the belief was that the design was originally for a spiderman themed ride?

I wouldn't think so, Universal pretty much have the Spiderman theme locked up.

If it was originally planned for an IP, I can't imagine what. What movie or story would have a giant spider like structure as it's central focus, that Merlin would be willing to invest in?

Trixico said:
Towseriv said:

I wouldn't think so, Universal pretty much have the Spiderman theme locked up.

If it was originally planned for an IP, I can't imagine what. What movie or story would have a giant spider like structure as it's central focus, that Merlin would be willing to invest in?

War of the Worlds :D

It was rumoured to have been Halo as the IP.

I'm glad they didn't go for an IP, or Halo even, as it somewhat limits the market. This is more of a 'generic' theme that will attract the whole 16-24 age group this ride will be aimed at.

If it had been an IP, I think most of us would of been upset it clashed with Oblivion.

At least they have tried not to clash to much here.

Ian

James said:

I like the general idea, but it wouldn't have suited Alton at all. Maybe it's something Merlin will look at for Thorpe in the future, I can see it fitting in with their target audience quite nicely.

Alastair said:
War of the Worlds :D

War Of The Worlds said:
Without the body the brain would, of course, become a mere selfish intelligence, without any of the emotional substratum of the human being.

It could work :D

James said:

I'm glad they didn't go for an IP, or Halo even, as it somewhat limits the market. This is more of a 'generic' theme that will attract the whole 16-24 age group this ride will be aimed at.

If Halo was the intended IP, how would the spider have fitted in? Unless it was going to be a Scarab, but they are a completely different shape.

A Halo-themed coaster would be great, but personally I'm glad they've gone with their own thing over an IP.

I seem to remember the Halo rumor started simply because someone said "it might be Halo, thats out soon" back on another forum when the prospect of an IP was mentioned. I don't think that there was any evidence other than the concept looked vaguely alien world/apocalyptic and the next Halo game was in the pipeline. I also seem to remember the "DNA" strand that was on the original marketing material had something to do with the rumours too.

A war of the worlds IP would have worked, had the recent film not been a) dreadful and b) released 10 years ago.

Now, an adaptation of Jeff Waynes musical War of the Worlds is something I would have loved to see ;)

That's all it was. "I like Halo. Halo is out soon. I'd like the ride to have a Halo theme." Somehow, as it often does, this got taken too seriously by some.

I doubt there was going to be an IP for it. I think the change in theme is more down to them developing the original concept, possibly due to feedback.

I heard the Halo rumour as well, I think it was a bit more then just a random person said so on a forum, well at least I didn't see it on the forum! :p

That forum post may have made the connection, but it may have been a coincidence (imagine if the Halo theme actually came into fruition, how happy this person would have been to be correct!)

I can't remember who said it, but I'm sure it started on TTF, or someone said they saw someone on another site say it first.

If I remember we were just discussing whether it would have an IP or not, and what it would be if it had one. Some other things were suggested, like Portal, Star Trek, some other sci-fi stuff that was new or due for release this year. It was over a year ago so I might be wrong.

I heard the Halo rumour form several different sources members. But as soon as the plans came out it was clear that was not going to happen. Thank Wardley.

I think, as opposed to a suggestion that got taken out of context, the 'Halo IP' was a deliberate thing started by a few enthusiasts. I had a conversation with someone on Facebook who was convinced they'd talked to management about a Halo IP, so I'd guess it is another case of someone faking 'information', just to see the enthusiast community talk about it...

Either way, the current theme is looking fantastic. It doesn't take itself too seriously, which I love. It's tongue in cheek, but also effectively scary. I think it's good it's not been overthemed, as the coaster is going to do the talking by itself. I'm just hoping that maybe, hopefully, they clad the station?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.