• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

HaydenCR said:
Blaze said:
I think what we need to remember is,

It's a ROLLERCOASTER! Not a highbrow piece of art, but a rollercoaster. At an amusement park. Criticising the theme is fine, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Anyway, that lift hill structure is mental, like a NoLimits experiment. I like it.

I disagree. When I went on Nemesis for the first time, it was my first major coaster. It changed who I was, and it represented a big moment in my life for me. When I rode Oblivion it gave me nightmares for a long time. Remember some of us go to theme parks for escapism over fun. Some of us do see rollercoasters (and other rides) as art.

I don't mean to be awkward and confrontational, but... yea I'm not sure how to finish that sentence...

In short, If a theme park ride can truly be considered a life changing event then you need to experience a bit more of life. It can be a treasured memory, or inspirational in some way, but that’s the limit.
:p

Novas said:
HaydenCR said:
Blaze said:

It's a ROLLERCOASTER! Not a highbrow piece of art, but a rollercoaster. At an amusement park. Criticising the theme is fine, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Anyway, that lift hill structure is mental, like a NoLimits experiment. I like it.

I disagree. When I went on Nemesis for the first time, it was my first major coaster. It changed who I was, and it represented a big moment in my life for me. When I rode Oblivion it gave me nightmares for a long time. Remember some of us go to theme parks for escapism over fun. Some of us do see rollercoasters (and other rides) as art.

I don't mean to be awkward and confrontational, but... yea I'm not sure how to finish that sentence...

In short, If a theme park ride can truly be considered a life changing event then you need to experience a bit more of life. It can be a treasured memory, or inspirational in some way, but that’s the limit.
:p

How ruuuuuuuuuuuude. ;D Sure the first point is over-dramatic but did I not say "represented". It wasn't the life changing moment, but it did represent an important change for me at the time. (The idea of being more open minded to being outside of ones comfort zone) And yes I have a life, thank you very much.

HaydenCR said:
How ruuuuuuuuuuuude. ;D Sure the first point is over-dramatic but did I not say "represented". It wasn't the life changing moment, but it did represent an important change for me at the time. (The idea of being more open minded to being outside of ones comfort zone) And yes I have a life, thank you very much.

Take note everyone, this is how you should respond to my general cruelty. Admit that your post left a door open for ridicule, elaborate on your initial point and include a smiley face somewhere for good measure. :)

Anyway I guess I should say something construction related... It's good to see that they're working at full capacity on Sundays. 'The other site' has posted a pic of the top motor being lifted into place so hopeful of seeing some more track up before the end of the day! :)

Novas said:
'The other site' has posted a pic

Why are we so afraid to name? 'The other site' could be any site ;) We name every other site, so why not TT. There I said it. You left the door open ;) :p

There is only 2 websites on the internet obviously ;)

Jokes aside, I'm loving the look of that Vertical Lift. Hopefully they'll have some of the track added before the day is out.

Blaze said:

anyone saying this is a highbrow piece of art... there is three things that need to be said

Get. A. Life...

Meat Pie you seem to overthink some things a bit to much... It's just a ride, a bloody good looking ride, but just a ride none the less.

Poison Tom 96 said:
Novas said:
'The other site' has posted a pic

Why are we so afraid to name? 'The other site' could be any site ;) We name every other site, so why not TT. There I said it. You left the door open ;) :p

It's just what I picked up from you lot, I wasn't even on TT. I'm still an easily led noob remember. :*

I don't understand why people keep referring to oblivion as a dark industrial theme, its more a camp nod to James Bond really.

I would have liked them to have styled the station building more like the existing X-Sector architecture but the Marmaliser actually fits in quite well (don't like the tickler).

Fredward said:
Blaze said:

anyone saying this is a highbrow piece of art... there is three things that need to be said

Get. A. Life...

Meat Pie you seem to overthink some things a bit to much... It's just a ride, a bloody good looking ride, but just a ride none the less.

I disagree with all this, people should be allowed to take things as seriously or un-seriously as they want. Why can't coasters and rides be high art? If everyone had always taken the attitude of "oh it's just a rollercoaster", we would still be riding switchback railways.

I believe that it's essential to be a bit obsessive about something to create something really groundbreaking. I also think that there's so much untapped potential for rides to become more of an experience and a story telling device. But because of the "just a ride" attitude, they've not progressed as much as they should have.

So I see Meat Pie's point. You can suggest that I Get. A. Life. but if you can't discuss matters like this here without being ridiculed then I think it's a shame.

I personally really like the ride's individual aesthetic and the recent photos have gotten me much more excited about the project than I was. I'm not sure how well it will gel with Oblivion's theme and I believe that the area has lost some balance but it's a small price to pay for a development on this scale.

Seriously people have been asked in this topic repeatedly now to stop critiquing peoples opinions, free free to disagree but we are not going to have individuals thought processes examined and criticised.

Keep to the topic at hand debate all you like about the various opinions on the ride but please don't get personal. Any further debate on individuals will get deleted and warnings issued.

I saw a comment on the Alton Towers Facebook page from someone who claimed to have received a leaflet with their tickets with an 18 May Smiler opening date on it. Has anyone seen such a leaflet?

Also, they've changed their logo on Facebook from the yellow one to a standardised one.

FIRST POST!!!

Its taken me long enough, but i've finally gotten round to migrating from TT and whilst I haven't really been posting on either forum, i've been following the discussion on both sites and I feel I may have thought of a reason for the negativity that is polarising people.

Many enthusiasts, myself included, put Nemesis and Oblivion up on pedestals, we praise their theming, discuss them like works of art and all have really happy, positive memories about them. Whilst they are undoubtedly fantastic rides, considering the average age of members being around their late teens and 20's I imagine a large majority of the forums will have no (or very little) recollection of when they first opened. Taking into account that the internet was in its infancy as well, when those rides opened despite being a big deal, they had nowhere near the scrutiny and analysis that enthusiasts give rides now, as it was impossible to focus on the construction in such great detail.

Its the same with any fandom - when you analyse every single little detail of something then there is bound to be something that upsets or disappoints, many people that have mentioned the attitudes of gamers as an example this idea. Why people let one or two minute details, be it the inclusion of Over the Shoulder restraints, a single piece of theming that looks 'tacky" or the design of the uniforms cloud their entire view of the ride is what baffles me. I can look at something and go "yeah, they could have tried a bit harder", but considering the ride isn't finished and usually that one small thing will be fairly miniscule in the grand scheme of things, i'll never go around screaming 'Oh, those car wash brushes look crap, THE RIDE IS RUINED!"

Just think - if Nemesis and Oblivion were being constructed today, how do we know that people wouldn't be scrutinising every minute detail of them too? In fact, i've heard people outright mock the Nemesis story for its camp value, so it just goes to show how sheltered the views of us enthusiasts are.

TL;DR - Enthusiasts would probably be a hell of a lot happier if they stopped analysing everything and just enjoyed them at face value. If you analyse everything to extreme depth, you just leave yourself open for disappointment.

Oh, and Smiler shaping up awesome as well... as long as its open by June 8th, I couldn't care less if the Yellow of the restraints doesn't match the logo or that the satellite dishes look tacky.

Great post NF2 :)
Think we have too much insight on the construction sometimes. I think people would be able to make fairer judgements if a massive tent was put up over the whole site and it could be judged as the finished article.

The vertical lift hill supports are now complete and there is no lift track left in the car parks. I expect the vertical lift track to start going up tomorrow. It doesn't look like track has been delivered for the first lift yet, unless it is being kept at Studios or somewhere like that.

I'll have a full photo update late but not too sure exactly when yet as I have The Masters to watch as well!

:)

Having seen it in the flesh today, it looks far more impressive than the photos make out. However, I think The Maramliser is at risk of being completely swamped by the track and not as intimidating as the theme perhaps wants it to be. I'm no longer worried by the look of it, it's a theatrical piece that could work well.

HOWEVER, I'm concerned that the track itself looks a complete mess, and not in a stylised fashion. But hopefully in a month we will see it all wirk out

Thanks for the photos stretchy, They look like LNBs made by Smart, I think the Titanium Edition.

As promised, here are my photos!

We start today in the car parks. As you can see this piece of lift track is almost ready to head over to X-Sector. As previously mentioned there was no lift track remaining in the car park at the end of the day:
P1150518_zps4f2bf4f4.jpg

On park, the vertical lift support structure:
P1150520_zps71fdf9a6.jpg

It is a rather tall and impressive structure:
P1150521_zps5e7d6749.jpg

P1150523_zps049c5732.jpg

A look at the Marmaliser, notice cladding at the bottom of the legs with the name of the leg on it:
P1150524_zpse45588c2.jpg

The Tickler is without doubt the least inspiring leg so far:
P1150525_zps66924221.jpg

Lots more wires have been added:
P1150527_zps1fdad0bb.jpg

P1150528_zps408985e5.jpg

P1150531_zpsaec33afb.jpg

P1150555_zpsdd6e8d53.jpg

Some of the finer detailing in terms of the extent of the wires:
P1150535_zpsdf1113b0.jpg

Some people wanted close ups of satellites so here you go:
P1150534_zpsf0b4717f.jpg

P1150526_zps30c93eaa.jpg

Fencing posts:
P1150536_zps137074cb.jpg

Later on in the day; the vertical lift structure is now complete, with the chain cog/motor or whatever you want to call it at the top:
P1150537_zpsd077e89a.jpg

P1150538_zpsc409a942.jpg

Here you can see the start of the lift track just creeping out of the trench:
P1150542_zps308312a1.jpg

A general look from the top of the site:
P1150543_zps50b94f13.jpg

A few different angles of the vertical lift support structure:
P1150544_zpsd71bb9de.jpg

P1150547_zps124c2bfc.jpg

P1150548_zps67ee1bd8.jpg

You can see how tall it is:
P1150551_zpsebf86dc9.jpg

Moving the track, this will be for the top of the vertical lift:
P1150556_zps129b8c6b.jpg

P1150558_zps88cf5c60.jpg

Where said track ended up:
P1150573_zpsae43485b.jpg

Here's a better look at that cladding at the base of The Tickler. Also notice what looks like the queue line shop:
P1150559_zps553cc1a1.jpg

Another look at the shop. Hopefully it will become more themed:
P1150560_zps7031504d.jpg

This is clearly going to be a games unit:
P1150562_zpsf2e46e37.jpg

P1150564_zps1e54f0cd.jpg

More piping on the side of the station:
P1150565_zpsaf77264a.jpg

This photo really does show the height of the vertical lift, I'd imagine it is very visible from outside of the park:
P1150571_zps69efaa20.jpg

There we go, hope you enjoyed!

As usual, please do not replicate my photos without permission. TowersStreet may use them if they wish. All photos taken from areas of the park fully accessible to the public.

:)

OK, I have been one of this themes biggest critics - the absolute brilliance of The Sanctuary today, and it was, hasn't helped in some regards either. That really is special.

I have to say though, forget the photos other than charting progress, as it gives you no sense of the ride at all, or the marmaliser. It just doesn't. No, really.

If they bring back The Sanctuary in slightly revised format, or indeed improved still further, and have The Smiler up to scratch, and support with what I reckon will be a new maze as I think they HAVE to juggle everything now after having it open free - then come October, that side of the park is going to be something else.

The Smiler is extremely charming. It is HUGE!! The public are buzzing about it, I heard so much talk around the place today. Yes I would like to have had different things, personal preference, but in it's own right it is fantastic.

Somehow, it doesn't clash in X-Sector, I'm not quite sure how in fairness, possibly just simply because of how unbelievably imposing it is. You can't get angry with the daft stuff as it is surrounded by some of the most insane track that exists world wide.

I am going to wait for the theatrics of the entire ride now. If they bring some darker theme to the station itself, and bring in effects, essentially the Marmaliser is an updated Marmalisation. The marm room is the most bizarre of The Sanctuary and doesn't really fit - if they have developed this though, and the rest of the theme has a darker feel with this bizarre bit in the middle, then the theme as a whole wont actually be as distant as I felt it may.

Remember, the Marm room in The Sanctuary is a real WTF moment - the rest dark and sinister. What we have now, is a HUGE ludicrous Marmaliser - and a frankly insane coaster, if the station and different experiences around the ride are very dark, and that intense inversion etc wise, I hate to admit, the tone of the Marm might even fit! :eek:

Putting my personal preferences here, and my belief in theme etc, to one side though - The Marmaliser is utterly unique - I'll even forgive the car wash brushes!

Having been up close to this thing to day, I have to say I'm actually a bit disappointed. The Marmalizer is looking absolutely great, but the ride itself is basically just 5 heartline rolls, and 8 slightly different combinations of "half-loop and twist" with next to nothing between. The only bit of variation is the corkscrew before the vertical lift.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.