• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

Bear said:
Having been up close to this thing to day, I have to say I'm actually a bit disappointed. The Marmalizer is looking absolutely great, but the ride itself is basically just 5 heartline rolls, and 8 slightly different combinations of "half-loop and twist" with next to nothing between. The only bit of variation is the corkscrew before the vertical lift.

I think you're being a bit harsh. Just about the only inversion that would provide a different experience that's not already on this coaster is a vertical loop.

Re: Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

Bear said:
Having been up close to this thing to day, I have to say I'm actually a bit disappointed. The Marmalizer is looking absolutely great, but the ride itself is basically just 5 heartline rolls, and 8 slightly different combinations of "half-loop and twist" with next to nothing between. The only bit of variation is the corkscrew before the vertical lift.

It has 14 inversions of which we know of, how else were you expecting the ride to go? The inversions do differ and I disagree with you saying that it's 'basically 5 heartline rolls and 8 slightly different combinations of half-loop twists'. Colossus is basically that, a poor attempt at getting the record, whereas The Smiler has a well thought out layout with variations of inversions.

There isn't much variation to inversions in general as they all basically turn you upside down - that's basically your point. Inversions are simply just that.

At least with this there are different inversions.

What else could they do? Different Inversions-wise we have on The Smiler:

1. Barrel Roll
2. Inverted drop (x2)
3. Dive Loop (x2)
4. Batwing
5. Corkscrew
6. Sea Serpent Rolls
7. Cobra Roll
8. Inclined Barrel Roll
9. Flat Corscrew

Now in my book there are 9 inversions that will feel different to each other whether it be because of their inclines/declines or directional changes. For example the barrel roll under the station is different to the one outside after the Cobra Roll - the one indoors has a slight incline once it starts to rotate then doesn't straighten out till it has gone into a corner. The one outside has a slighter incline than that indoors.

Don't forget all the inversions are broken up with two different lift hills (one at about a 45 degree angle and the other vertical), two airtime hills and maybe even a 'show' just before the first lift hill. What more variation inversion wise could they of done? The ride has so much variation from height changes, directional changes and great near misses. Name a ride that is this compact and has so many near misses? I'm finding it hard.

This is the first ride that Alton Towers has built for a long long time that has really spiked my interest and I cannot wait to ride. Hell, even the general public all comment on it and take pictures and that's during the construction phase.

I can see this ride being a huge success financially for the park just like Th13teen was. Whether it will go down great ride-wise I don't know - that is all down to how smooth the ride is.

I have to give it to Alton Towers, if this was indeed a late revision due to the Air carpark coaster being delayed they have done fantastically well. Just how compact the whole area is, is mind-blowing.

Sent from my GT-I9300 via Tapatalk Forum App

Alastair said:
Bear said:

I think you're being a bit harsh. Just about the only inversion that would provide a different experience that's not already on this coaster is a vertical loop.

There are so many other more interesting elements they could have used though. What about normal main drops, but with duelling zero-G rolls into the staffordshire knot pit? Instead of the cobra roll, why not have the batwing duel with a Gerstlauer banana-roll as seen on Takabisha? Just a bit more variation would have been really brilliant in my opinion.

Bear said:
Alastair said:
Bear said:

There are so many other more interesting elements they could have used though. What about normal main drops, but with duelling zero-G rolls into the staffordshire knot pit? Instead of the cobra roll, why not have the batwing duel with a Gerstlauer banana-roll as seen on Takabisha? Just a bit more variation would have been really brilliant in my opinion.

Dueling wise I think having a Dive Loop cross over the Sea Serpent much more interesting than having the cars do the same together next to each other. For that we have the airtime hills. A banana roll also wouldn't of been that interesting from an off ride view and would be hard to get it like the Batwing/Cobra Roll cars duel with each other.

Seeing a train going through the Batwing and a train going through the Cobra Roll will be spectacular! Even giving people that aren't riding something great to look at.

They don't have the height to make one of those banana things work and they would have to sacrifice the airtime hills to have dueling zero-g rolls into the knot. As already stated they have 9 different inversion types on the ride and they spread them out between a couple of pacing elements. Colossus doesn't fail because it uses 5 in-lines, it fails because it glued 4 of them together so they get boring. Smiler has a good spread if inversions.

The trouble is its hard to say how this will ride until we get on it, Blue-fires final inversion doesn't look special off-ride or in pictures but its insane when you ride it.

The vertical lift is now complete! Picture courtesy of Theme Park Worldwide FB:

906569_644760052216627_174063629_o.jpg

Good to see they're making progress! Looks a bit odd, but that's probably because it doesn't have a beyond-vertical drop directly after the lift.

I like it, the support structure looks as mental on the lift as on the rest of the ride.

Worlds first Eurofighter without a vertical drop??

What're the fins on the vertical track? As far as I've seen, there's none on any other Eurofighter?

Example: SAW and Takabisha:

16selljvkm0lr1h0gk001d.jpg

6a00d8341c730253ef014e89cabe78970d-800wi

The metal fins i believe are a new Gerst development to allow the cars to be reversed backwards down a vertical lift-hill if they need to evacuate rather than doing a vertical evacuation. If you look at the track in the pictures there is no anti roll-back rack. I suppose if the chain where to snap (which is what an anti-rollback system is to protect for) the break fins would slowely return the train to the ground.

I swear Gerst mentioned something like this in an interview somewhere.

Does anyone have any idea why it has Steel fins up the lifthill? That would normally suggest an LSM lift but there's clearly a chain return. Perhaps it's the anti-rollback system and they're doing away with the usual ratcheting anti rollbacks. It would make a lot of sense with the noise complaints in that area.

Edit: Missed Dave's post above which answers everything!

So many crazy, lift hill launch related thoughts then. Shame :(

Awesome that they've pushed on with that so quickly though! Am I right in thinking they only have the turn after the final inversion into the breaks and the other lift hill left to do now track wise? :)

LiamC said:

Awesome that they've pushed on with that so quickly though! Am I right in thinking they only have the turn after the final inversion into the breaks and the other lift hill left to do now track wise? :)

And the inverted drops ;)

LiamC said:

They still have both inverted drops to finish. Don't forget The Hypnotiser Marmaliser leg too :)

Just three days to construct the vertical lift - wow lol. Can't see them taking long to finish the rest! They still have a month and a half to make their May opening too! I hope they put the screens around the bottom of the vertical lift, like in the game :) still lots to do but I'm very confident :D

Also, speaking of the game I won a code for 50% off fast passes before the end of April if anyone wants it? :) won't be there til June lol.

Well that track got put up quickly which is good to see. I think there is a catwalk to go up at the top of the vertical lift so I'd imagine that will be the next thing to do up.

With any luck they'll get the drops and final turn around finished this week. Then once they are done they'll have to find somewhere else for the crane and put the first lift up. Slowly but surely the track is nearing completion!

:)

Why do I have images of the crane being stuck? They'd build the track around it then they couldn't get it out :p

Another image from the site today:

BH5TbUSCIAAkyry.jpg:large

Snoo said:
I'm still a bit behind and might need refreshed as I havent seen it in quite a while, does anyone have semi complete/complete layout yet?

Correct as of 3:00PM on 15th April 2013:

(Click for larger image - Stuff in orange is unknown as to whether it is happening as of yet)

Left still to do from top down is the first lift hill, final turn into the brakes, second inverted drop then first inverted drop.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.