• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

Yes and toilets...

.... Now back on topic :)

*cough*Pointless post*cough*

I think today and yesterday have shown that when they put their minds to it, they can throw this up like nobody's business. I reckon the track will be done by the end of next week of the middle of the week after and then after that it's just a case of waiting for it to finish testing!

TheMan said:
aircanman said:
I know it sounded daft when I typed it, coax has a plastic core though which is why it coils like that, electronic cable would have some kinks in it unless it was super high quality which I doubt would be used.

Yeah I have some here ;D - with a couple of PL259s still attached to each end lol! Never ended well fitting those ;D

Have you tried fitting SMA connectors, they are a pain in the bleep. I have N types, a few SMA, a box a F types and a box of PL259.

I can't believe I am discussing wiring, I don't think Aircanman can either (easy for you to say).

I can, and i can believe we are discussing satellite dishes :D

Dar said:

I think today and yesterday have shown that when they put their minds to it, they can throw this up like nobody's business. I reckon the track will be done by the end of next week of the middle of the week after and then after that it's just a case of waiting for it to finish testing!

The ground work has been the issue, when Gerst get a chance to put stuff on site they don't mess around. It's the ground work that has constantly dogged this project.

I do hope this marks the end of the ground work problems and they can now push on with fitting the last of the track and start the wiring.

Dave said:
Dar said:

The ground work has been the issue, when Gerst get a chance to put stuff on site they don't mess around. It's the ground work that has constantly dogged this project.

I think it's worth saying that the groundworks were also quite significant on the project. Look at how different the site actually is!

Every time the groundwork has been finished in a section, the relevant area of the coaster has flown up. Someone a few months ago said "I thought Gersts were meant to go up in 2 weeks" and I reckon they're not far off - if you add up the amount of time that purely vertical construction has taken place then it probably is about that figure.

Sadly, its taken approximately 6 months to do the groundworks. Whether they knew it was going to take that long or not - and I strongly suspect that they had no idea - it's a pretty long period of time. Must be just as frustrating for those involved as it is for us.

Still, its starting to look an absolute beast now. Cannot wait to see it for the first time in person. Roll on end of June for myself!

delta79 said:
If someone can get a close up photo of the LNB ( the box like thing at the end of the arm) on the dishes i should give a clue to what type they are.

I think I have one. I will look later when I get to my PC. I tend to take around 250 per visit, yes I know that's excessive.
OK these are the best that I have. Those look like normal LMB's to me.
P1040193a.JPG

P1040193b.JPG

P1040193c.JPG

Regarding lighting in the dish. This is what we thought was most likely, spinning spiral projections onto the dishes.

Am I right to assume that when the Hypnotiser leg is added then they'll put some sort of (presumably) fiberglass dome above and below the screens? I think that and associated pipes/wires will dramatically alter the look of the Marmeliser :)

ianto42 said:
Am I right to assume that when the Hypnotiser leg is added then they'll put some sort of (presumably) fiberglass dome above and below the screens? I think that and associated pipes/wires will dramatically alter the look of the Marmeliser :)
No, the wires are there for the theming. The domes were scrapped when we got the revised plans for the Marmaliser and the wires took their place.

In my opinion, the wires look better than a dome because it adds more to the theme.

372889276_orig.jpg

In this concept art picture it looks like there are panels of some sort on the dome area... The rest of the detailing in the new concept art seems to be pretty accurate so far!

The Marmaliser is shaping up to look almost exactly like this:

i.php

Based on that there is certainly some theming to cover the top of the marmaliser (dome type structure). Not sure about below, there are a lot of wires that might be used to disguise the bottom but i hope there is some proper cladding.

EDIT: Ianto beat me to it and shows the bottom cladding in situ :)

As for progress today this is from TowersStreet FB page:

535029_469943709742745_809307418_n.jpg

Haha :p I hope it does look like the photo I put up. I have no reason to doubt it will - the rest looks almost identical! Think its going to look incredible, especially when they put the screens on and the elements are working. If it does have several cars hurtling around all at once the effects with be going all the time and it'll really come to life!

Everything still looks horrendous. All the add o' bits like those stupid needles are so cartoony that I've begun to lose interest in this project. Clearly the designers are not taking this seriously and bunging any old over-the-top and 'zaney' rubbish into the mix, so I'm not taking them seriously.

The mismatch of the realist dark industrial style and the goofy cartoon style doesn't blend and detracts from Oblivion's X-sector, something which was stylistically perfect, without contadiction in it's design, and wasn't at all 'camp'.

And before the Smiler cheerleaders wade in with unwarrented criticism of 'negativity', I don't mind that you like it. It's your right to disagree with me and even explain why you do, but I don't attack "positivity" itself, as that adds nothing to the conversation and is little more than a device so you can dismiss an opinion because you don't like it.

You sound like one of those irritating CoD fanboys having a go at Team Fortress 2's art style saying "OMG teh graphics sux!"

I don't mean to say hey everyone stop being negetive, negetivity is great. Cynicism is funny, but your posts are just tiresome

EDIT: I feel I should elaborate... It's perfectly fine to dislike the aesthetics, but given the tone of the post, you don't like it because you don't understand it. It's actually a very good style regardless of whether you like it or not. (Whether Towers can implement it in a good way we can only find out on opening)

I would advise you having a look at Portal 2 and Bioshock, two games that are very close to this art style.

Either way it is still a ride if you have to worry about art style, I think you are just thinking to hard about the project....

Really like the way this is shaping up. Roll on May!

(I am NOT a Smiler fanboy for anyone concerned, just like the ride. Hope this offends no one. Because if it does you know where to stick it......)

You could litterally be saying anything in that reference as I have no idea what you are even talking about. Last I knew was that Cod was a fish? But anyway, no doubt it sounds like you're trying to put me in a labelled box so that you can dismiss my viewpoint.

And it's not cynicism, it's legitmate criticism about something that I feel is getting progressively worse.

Sorry that you find it tiresome, but if I'm honest, reading a lot of people's posts which are positive opinions on how the project is going is tiresome from my point of view. I just wasn't going to be so rude as to say so.

Even if I do check out the games you mention, and discover that they have exactly the same ill-fitting styles clashing, I will not be convinced that it is good. I just do not like the tone and style of the themeing, it does not belong next to Oblivion, and even in of itself there are clashes in the Smiler's own design.

It's all the wrong tones.

And finally, it's not just a ride, it's an experience. Experiences being a particular medium of art that has great opportunity, unfortunatly they are not only missing those opportunities in the Smiler, they are badly affecting the other pre-existing experiences around it.

Meat Pie said:
Everything still looks horrendous. All the add o' bits like those stupid needles are so cartoony that I've begun to lose interest in this project. Clearly the designers are not taking this seriously and bunging any old over-the-top and 'zaney' rubbish into the mix, so I'm not taking them seriously.

The mismatch of the realist dark industrial style and the goofy cartoon style doesn't blend and detracts from Oblivion's X-sector, something which was stylistically perfect, without contadiction in it's design, and wasn't at all 'camp'.

And before the Smiler cheerleaders wade in with unwarrented criticism of 'negativity', I don't mind that you like it. It's your right to disagree with me and even explain why you do, but I don't attack "positivity" itself, as that adds nothing to the conversation and is little more than a device so you can dismiss an opinion because you don't like it.

I can see where you are coming from. I think there are some elements they have mucked up. They have over done some things on The Smiler. The biggest concern for me is the use of the word "the". I understand the naming of the legs but using "the" takes away all sinister tones of the legs. I just wished they named it Smiler, and the legs were named Innoculator, Tickler and so on... The other rides in the area don't have "the" and I don't think this ride should have it either. Saying that, I think the design of the ride, logo and theming bring the same menacing tones of Oblivion. And there is still strong "industrial" and "goverment facility" tones. The Smiler station is a giant concrete slab, there is concrete around the ride and there are pipes covering the station. The marmaliser is a giant hunk of steal, and the ride itself is a mess of mangled metal. I think the tone is slightly different from Oblivion with its over-exaggerated nature, but it still brings the same feelings.

X-Sector is a place designed to change you. You are meant to leave, a different person. I promise you The Smiler will do this just as well as Oblivion does, it just wont do it in the same way.

I think what we need to remember is,

It's a ROLLERCOASTER! Not a highbrow piece of art, but a rollercoaster. At an amusement park. Criticising the theme is fine, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Anyway, that lift hill structure is mental, like a NoLimits experiment. I like it.

Blaze said:
I think what we need to remember is,

It's a ROLLERCOASTER! Not a highbrow piece of art, but a rollercoaster. At an amusement park. Criticising the theme is fine, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Anyway, that lift hill structure is mental, like a NoLimits experiment. I like it.

I disagree. When I went on Nemesis for the first time, it was my first major coaster. It changed who I was, and it represented a big moment in my life for me. When I rode Oblivion it gave me nightmares for a long time. Remember some of us go to theme parks for escapism over fun. Some of us do see rollercoasters (and other rides) as art.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.