• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

Really cannot wait to ride this now. Love how it looks across from Mutiny Bay too. Except the track will be done very soon.

I assume it's now safe to say track will be done in probably a week, maybe a week and a half? It's also fantastic to see they aren't pulling another Thirteen off by putting the queue line fences in now rather than the night before opening.

I don't think it will take long at all to finish the track now. I reckon both drops can be done in a day. Then maybe a couple of days to finish the first lift. It should certainly be complete by the middle of next week.

:)

So it looks like both lifts will be getting magnetic anti-rollbacks then? Very crafty of Towers, considering the noise made by Oblivion's lift was one of the complaints put in against it (I believe it was modified to quieten it at the same time the "Don't Look Down" audio was removed).

It's all coming together nicely now :D It's already looking much more complete than it did last Saturday. Hopefully once those last couple of pieces go in it won't be long before we see the trains being let out onto the track for testing!

ChocolateStarfish said:
Well with just over 4 weeks until opening they need to get their finger out.

The 18th is not yet confirmed, it is only a rumour. Plus you can't possibly complain about the rate of construction now, lots is being done each day.

I don't think this silent anti-rollback system is the first in the world. I think Expedition Everest has something similar, but instead of using magnetic brakes like this, it uses traditional anti-rollbacks but the 'dog' on the train is held up by a magnet, so it doesn't make any contact with the track or the 'clacking' noise. If the power is lost, the dog will fall and stop the train.

But if this is successful, maybe Towers would even consider retrofitting it to some of their other coasters, especially as we've seen noise complaints about Oblivion and Nemesis focus on the loudness of the anti-rollbacks!

Rob said:
ChocolateStarfish said:

The 18th is not yet confirmed, it is only a rumour. Plus you can't possibly complain about the rate of construction now, lots is being done each day.

A very strong rumour apparently. ;)

ChocolateStarfish said:
Rob said:
ChocolateStarfish said:

A very strong rumour apparently. ;)

Rumours mean nothing.

If people get their hopes up for any supposed opening date they are going to end up being disappointed.

Nothing has been confirmed yet, and I don't think anyone relating to the project knows the opening date for certain yet.

I'd be surprised if B&M would/could fit them to their rides. They usually seem to prefer more traditional mechanical systems to hydraulics and magnets (They no doubt have their reasons).

Wasn't the story behind Expedition Everest the fact that Disney didn't think it "sounded like that train would", so had an alternative created? :p

However strong a rumour is, things can change. I am almost certain Towers won't settle with an opening day until testing is under way. They may have a target date in mind but testing could yet throw up problems meaning a date cannot be finalised yet.

Your right they don't, nothing will be confirmed until they have trains running around but I'm telling you that is the date they are aiming for.

Provided there are no issues, it will be open then.

Very nice photos Rob, thanks for sharing! =) I'm fairly confident that this ride be open at some point during May now =)

I have to agree that it's obvious that 18 May is the target.

Tom said:
I have to agree that it's obvious that 18 May is the target.

In the same was that March 16th was the target a few months ago. Targets can be missed, especially considering the high winds which slowed construction today.

No point mentioning the date all the time, someone is just going to read it as fact and end up disappointed.

But this is a speculation thread is it not? And surely the opening date is up for speculation.

Nobody is going to book a trip before its confirmed surely?

Well, I started off quite skeptical about this ride, I mean I've never ridden a Gerst that I have been overly impressed with. However, this beautiful tangle of steel is no ordinary Gerst now is it? I firmly believe that, if the infamous Gerst-ache is absent, then this could be a rival to Nemesis in terms of the coaster it's self, however, since we know pretty much zilch about the theme, then I can't really assume anything about that, and I'm not really excited about the theme anyway, because from what we do know, the theme is possibly heading for a cliche (Nothing wrong with cliches, but originality is what makes a theme stand out). I do hope I am proved wrong, I really do, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

That said, I can't wait to ride this thing! Or see it in motion, from what I can imagine, those cars are going to look almost orgasmic surfing that black wave of G-force! The black and yellow colour scheme has always done it for me, and In my opinion, The Marmaliser looks stunning, and if it interacts with the cars, this will be one of those coasters, such as Nemmie herself, that you could just sit and watch for hours and not get at all bored.

Maybe it's too early, but hats off to you Towers! This definitely looks promising!

Some people casually view the forums, and non-enthusiasts view the forums too. A few people on here are implying, or stating that 18th May will be the opening date. Or will most likely be the opening date.

For an outsider who is just casually looking at The Smiler stuff on the internet, to find out when it opens could be lead to here and could take the 18th May date as fact. I think some posters need to be careful of how posts are worded. A few comments on the previous page pretty much state that it WILL open at that date. When simply it might not.

Personally I think Alton Towers are aiming for a mid-May opening. However they know there's still a lot to be done and the ride will need a lot of testing before they are certain of an opening date. There's still a lot that could delay the project and issues that could arise. Fingers crossed it gets open around the middle of may though!

Nothing is definate with this ride and I've not said that.
But if all goes to plan the 18th is the date penciled in, I know that.
The fact that press have been invited for the 17th also confirms this.

Obviously it could still go belly up when they start testing which is why not definate date is confirmed but I still think its worth discussing.

Well it looks as though the winds will die down tomorrow and Saturday so if they give it one big push, they could get track finished by Sunday. Hopefully these gusts of wind won't effect construction to much.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.