• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

The very fact that in an interview John Wardley said this ride will have the most inversions of any rollercoaster in the world, I think its fairly clear that they will market the inversions as the world first.

I convinced myself we would see another 'gimmick' like Thirteen, but I highly doubt it now. My prediction is that we can see some cool theming and visual effects on the ride within the station and thats it. Leave the emphasis to the awesome amount of inversions.

I think thats all, and if it is... THANK YOU AT. :twirly:

Thinking back to my favourite part of SAW at TP, it would be cool if instead of the two swinging blades we would get a giant hypnotising disk... then WOOOSH, totally took by surprise. I hope we see moments like this in the ride! :twirly:

If the park has announced that there is a World's First element that is still under wraps (see Stretchy's post above) It's obviously not the inversion record they are claiming as the World's First. Sure they haven't officially announced how many inversions there will be yet but anyone with eyes and able to count higher than 10 can already see that the ride will beat that record.

The thing is, that the vast majority of the ride can clearly been seen from X-sector. So any trick track or anything major that will form the part of the worlds first would be clearly seen. Also there is no room left for anything extra to be added in terms of a trick element. So whatever the worlds first is, its either there already or will be some kind of small special effect that will form part of the overall ride and they will market it as the first ride to mess with both your body and mind.

I can still see this being marketed as nothing more than the coaster with the most inversions.

BigDave said:
The very fact that in an interview John Wardley said this ride will have the most inversions of any rollercoaster in the world, I think its fairly clear that they will market the inversions as the world first.

However John also said that there is a secret element and "you'll have to ride it to find out." So I'm pretty sure he can't be referring to inversions.

Playing the game earlier and I was thinking. What about the cars having a similar "rocking" effect like in the game.

Would that be a worlds first? Although very unlikely?

Okay guys... In order to help some of you out or to make it a hell of a lot easier, I have created a really simple, really easy Testing calculator...

It basically tells you, depending on how many hours of testing in one day how long it will take to complete 200 hours of testing from the date you run the application.

If you want to try it out you can download from this link: http://www.2shared.com/file/COeXTM8Q/TestingCalculator.html

I made it in about 5 minutes so it is a little off (date counts next days as the actual 1st date so doesn't count today's work)

completei.jpg

I was wondering how likely it could be something to do with the seats?

Re: Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

Towseriv said:
Playing the game earlier and I was thinking. What about the cars having a similar "rocking" effect like in the game.

That would merely be a game mechanic to make playing the game more interesting then just watching it play itself.

Re: Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

Fredward said:
Towseriv said:

That would merely be a game mechanic to make playing the game more interesting then just watching it play itself.

I don't mean as literal as it is in the game since I imagine that would be next to impossible and I can't see how a fail safe would be built in to the tilt. But yeah more like the mechanics of the seating going to an angle etc.

Right, I'm thinking outside the box a bit here...

What if this is the worlds first coaster to use augmented reality? Riders wear a headset / glasses similar to the ones the ride ops wear and are shown images when going past each marmaliser leg similar to the game.

I've had trouble understanding the point of the marmaliser as when you're riding the coaster you'd be flying past too quickly to notice the theming. But with AR it'd be more obvious what each leg was attempting to do to you.

adsyrah said:
Right, I'm thinking outside the box a bit here...

What if this is the worlds first coaster to use augmented reality? Riders wear a headset / glasses similar to the ones the ride ops wear and are shown images when going past each marmaliser leg similar to the game.

I've had trouble understanding the point of the marmaliser as when you're riding the coaster you'd be flying past too quickly to notice the theming. But with AR it'd be more obvious what each leg was attempting to do to you.

Too expensive and the risk potential in securing the headset during the ride would be too great. In my view.

AR screens would work on some rides but I think it'd be too risky on an attraction such as the Smiler. It'd create a lot of faff, potential for greater downtime due to the increased amount of tech in each train that could go wrong (especially under the intense forces it'd all have to endure) and flying around at such speeds on such a ride with a headset on can't be good for hygiene either. It'd suit a dark ride though.

As for the rocking idea, I agree it would suit the ride. It'd have to be gentle, mind, but it'd certainly make for some very wacky sensations. It's probably just for the game, but if it's more than that then I'd certainly welcome it! But looking at the trains, they just look like standard Eurofighter rows. I would expect them to look a little bulkier in areas if they were to rock a little, though I could be wrong.

It's broken, isn't it?

Just when we got excited we'll still be alive when it opens.

BigAl said:
AR screens would work on some rides but I think it'd be too risky on an attraction such as the Smiler. It'd create a lot of faff, potential for greater downtime due to the increased amount of tech in each train that could go wrong (especially under the intense forces it'd all have to endure) and flying around at such speeds on such a ride with a headset on can't be good for hygiene either. It'd suit a dark ride though.

As for the rocking idea, I agree it would suit the ride. It'd have to be gentle, mind, but it'd certainly make for some very wacky sensations. It's probably just for the game, but if it's more than that then I'd certainly welcome it! But looking at the trains, they just look like standard Eurofighter rows. I would expect them to look a little bulkier in areas if they were to rock a little, though I could be wrong.

The AR suggestions is because I'm struggling to see what the world first can be other than something to do with the trains. I'm not convinced it's the inversion count because that is definitely not "under wraps".

I love the fact AT still have us guessing even when the track has been built now!

But we've seen the trains, and they don't see to do anything special at all.

I think it will be the 14 inversions that are the advertised world first, there may be a few little surprises but I'm not going to get myself hyped up about the indoor bit.

I dont think its broken as they would need much more than some scaffolding to hold it up. We did notice that they seemed to be a few rusty bit of metal wedged in between track sections. I assume those were some kind of spacer and now that the ride is complete, they probably are going round removing them.

I might be completely wrong of course, but I do think it was the inversions at the bottom end of the site that seemed to have the most of these.

I doubt they will market the inversions as the world's first, I'm quite certain I heard on John's first radio interview he said that it will be something people have never seen before, and the inversion record has obviously been done before, so I reckon it will be something to do with whatever they have brought in these New Scientist psychologists in for.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.