• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

This truly will be a 21st century ride, the videos on that screen look fantastic! :)

andyramone said:
Haha, seeing TheMan so happy makes me smile. Nothing like seeing one of the self proclaimed resident grumblers show sheer unbridled joy at something like he's a 12 year old kid again. Love it.

Don't get me wrong Andy, I am actually quite a positive chap - people who know me properly on here (but won't admit it hahaha) know this. I was however highly critical of the theme once the feel of it changed from the earlier more sinister one.

I am always happy to be proven wrong with things like this. They have won over a HUGE part of my concerns with that screen and as you say mate, it makes you feel like a 12 year old kid at Christmas again.

Fantastic, have to just marvel and applaud that level of creativity, it's quite quite brilliant and will grace forums and headlines worldwide.

Alton Towers deserve this, I hope the rest now goes to plan for them

Because an amazing-looking rollercoaster is just not enough.
…Until it gets a big TV.

Looks like this marmalisation thing actually works.

:twirly:

Seeing the screens in action proves to me what an addition this ride is going to make to the park.
If it rides as good as it looks then this may well be a world class attraction, certainly without rival in the UK.

The only thing that makes me a little sad it how rubbish Oblivion looks next to it, I didn't think it was was possible to put it in the shade but unfortunatly it does by a country mile.

TheMan said:
andyramone said:
Haha, seeing TheMan so happy makes me smile. Nothing like seeing one of the self proclaimed resident grumblers show sheer unbridled joy at something like he's a 12 year old kid again. Love it.

Don't get me wrong Andy, I am actually quite a positive chap - people who know me properly on here (but won't admit it hahaha) know this. I was however highly critical of the theme once the feel of it changed from the earlier more sinister one.

I am always happy to be proven wrong with things like this. They have won over a HUGE part of my concerns with that screen and as you say mate, it makes you feel like a 12 year old kid at Christmas again.

Fantastic, have to just marvel and applaud that level of creativity, it's quite quite brilliant and will grace forums and headlines worldwide.

Alton Towers deserve this, I hope the rest now goes to plan for them

Absolutely, that was my point. I'm happy for you that you're so happy! Nothing brings out the inner child in us like a big fat rollercoaster that makes you go 'WOOOOOW!!!'

electricBlll said:
Because an amazing-looking rollercoaster is just not enough.
…Until it gets a big TV.

Looks like this marmalisation thing actually works.

:twirly:

I think Bear and a couple of others had their concerns about the lack of variation in the inversions, and a few are concerned about the track and potential Gerst-ache - aside from that, the ride, from the start, has been universally applauded, to the degree, that when anyone has had concerns, they're easy to mark out in the thread!

So all that is left, are concerns over the impact of and feel of the theme itself - of which the Marmaliser has been the centrally divisive issue.

It's therefore of no surprise, that when they switched that monster on for the first time, it brings it to life, and people can now get a sense of exactly how this theme will begin to develop in actuality, as that big TV tells quite the story and brings back discussions that were had months ago!

andyramone said:
Absolutely, that was my point. I'm happy for you that you're so happy! Nothing brings out the inner child in us like a big fat rollercoaster that makes you go 'WOOOOOW!!!'

TOO RIGHT MATE!! TOO DARN RIGHT!! ;D

COLOUR ME MARMALISED

This looks amazing, I imagine this will impress a lot of people ambling down that hill. That's how you get a concept across.

TheMan said:
Johno said:
No. No it doesn't confirm it.

It confirms that the Marmaliser will show stuff on its video screens.

That's about it.

Here is a slice of humble pie to eat later:

humble_pie.jpg

Feel free to ignore the images on the screen of the Marm describing what it does in detail. Not even going to debate this with anyone, it's too obvious now.

Oh, and you can quite happily send that back if I am wrong. But I wont be. ;)

;D

Unfortunately I think you'll be eating it. I always speculated from the start that the screen could display the riders faces in real time as they went around the track. The portion of video you see is pre-recorded and is of NO indication of what will actually happen.

Can you imagine the implications of riders knowing they might appear on a giant 10 ft tall 360 degree screen in an area where in summer will have around 3000 people littered around with a view of the screen. You will have chavs flipping the bird, people being idiots, you might even have people flashing boobs, you'll have al sorts of obscenity going on. People do it on the ORP so why wouldn't they do it here? At least on the ORP it's limited to viewing of 30 people and I assume alton towers can quickly remove any indecent images from viewing if they spot one. You can't remove real time video. Not to mention it's highly impractical to feature real time video, I imagine the video displayed on the screen (the pre recorded section) was filmed using industrial equipment mounted to the car. We also know there are no cameras on the front of the ride as we've seen the front of the car.

Basically what I predicted would happen: now that The Smiler is almost finished, its personality is more apparent and engaging.

I like a lot of the screen imagery, executed very well. But it is only one component in the overall experience. There is still the music and the theatrics to come. Soon it will all come together and no doubt be an astonishing experience.

Plastic Person said:
This looks amazing, I imagine this will impress a lot of people ambling down that hill. That's how you get a concept across.
Absolutely!

Does anyone know what sort of reaction this is getting from the US enthusiasts? Most forum's I've looked at are light on reaction from them. Surely they look at something like this and just beg for one of their concrete car park coasters to get this sort of effort put into the theming? You think they would beat down a path to visit Alton Towers like we do when we see their latest drool inducing creations (Outlaw Run for example.)

Does Alton Towers get many US visitors at all?

morgano said:
Not to mention it's highly impractical to feature real time video, I imagine the video displayed on the screen (the pre recorded section) was filmed using industrial equipment mounted to the car. We also know there are no cameras on the front of the ride as we've seen the front of the car.

I said face detection. Not about video, not live streaming. So no I won't be eating it. It was in regard to the speculation they'd warp the photos, which I was quite specific about in my post.

EDIT:
Sorry that came across quite curt. I wont be eating it in that sense I mean. If they don't use face recognition to employ an after effect to the photos, then I will chow down lol!

when do you think testing will occur i think the 29th of this month an opening the 18th of may

I really love the psychedelic 'memory search' effect, as well as the use of spooky archive images. It could have easily been a bunch of techno-babble, but they've given it a lot of charisma. Also, it looks bloody expensive.

I noticed in the second video that it says 'The Giggler' and an animation of canisters spraying follows, then animated lungs breathing in the spray. I'm not going to take it literally since it was already highlighted how unlikely LITERALLY gassing guests is, but I wonder if the illusion of being gassed will be used?

gosling said:
I noticed in the second video that it says 'The Giggler' and an animation of canisters spraying follows, then animated lungs breathing in the spray. I'm not going to take it literally since it was already highlighted how unlikely LITERALLY gassing guests is, but I wonder if the illusion of being gassed will be used?

It's highly likely it will be a mister I reckon. Maybe they will colour it green or something. Though how they'd do that I don't know, using a sugar based colour like in fog machines perhaps, but they tend to need heating so.

I have no idea basically lol. I default to Diogo on this.

gosling said:

I would imagine smoke and/or scented air should do the trick.

Coloured mist or fog would stain peoples clothes and skin.* It'll be plain old dihydrogen monoxide.

* Dragon falls at Chessie used to colour the water deep blue, untill there were complaints that it ruined clothes :p

I doubt we'll see anything much fancier than a mister and perhaps a smellpot nearby (Though I'd be surprised if they even did that). In theory all they need to do is say that it's a clear, scentless gas and they've covered themselves pretty well. Heck, there's already enough craziness in this ride, they just need to say it's a special gas made by The Ministry :p

I guess they could look at using some form of lighting in an attempt to colour it, but the effect would be rather lost during the day I imagine.

I'm thinking it'll just be Oblivion's misters again where they use simple water to create a mist. Cheap, efficient, and easy to manage. It's all they really need :)

Someone pointed out the fact that the signs aren't all the same way round?

36574_554934407871075_1538784382_n.jpg

Courtesy Alton Towers Guide

They're right. No need, hope they sort these little things out, looks daft being different ways around, details, details folks! :)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.