• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

Why dont you all stop trying to convince me im wrong then and just wait and see. I'v said il shut up u until opening day but now your just covering your backs for when your proven to be wrong by saying that im the fool either way. No. You're the fools for being so sure of yourselves the whole time, you think with a £18 million pound investment they can't hide things from enthusiasts. Seriously, y'all need to climb off your pedestal. It wasnt my girlfriend it was my boyfriend, key word, 'was'. Alton Towers were well aware that TT were taking photos from the sky. People choose not to believe me because they hate to think that someone knows something they don't. It's quite immature, but then I remember, theres no age restriction on these forums is there. If you think im spamming/trolling, stop replying to my messages, I have nothing more to add on this forum.

The last thing I want is for the Marmalizer screens to be used for either queue times, or upselling. Cannot WAIT to see this thing test, so excited! :D

Just because I love being beyond the BS line. (Giraffes and all that jazz) I'm just going to post after Sams for lolz! :p

washing machines do live longer with Calgon. So I'm 100% sure if there was a washing machine element their would be some Calgon on site by now? no?

Bear said:
The last thing I want is for the Marmalizer screens to be used for either queue times, or upselling. Cannot WAIT to see this thing test, so excited! :D

Yeah, I don't mean that. I'm sure they'd never do that (though I'm sure in some sort of special and rare situation, like an afternoon closing due to snow or something, it'd really come in handy as a public address system!) I mean like, adapting the videos slightly to give them a Halloween twist, or maybe have a few fireworks going off in November. That kind of thing. :)

They are linked to a windows 7 PC so I assume changing the videos would be as simple as changing the file. Whether they would go as far as creating a new film though.. :p

There will be some disorentating effects inside the building but it will be done with special effects and not a stupid Hotpoint 1400 AAA class spin drier.

Those screens on the Marmiliser remind me of the those screens in Piccadilly Circus

Piccadilly-night-london.jpg

I think they look really cool and they're a very nice addition =)

Just a thought... when the ride is running at night, the screens could possibly just turn bright white to provide necessarily illumination for the queue, reducing the need for the hated 'Jennys'?

Just an idea. :)

Haha, bringing up the TTF pictures. Remember when they covered up half the barrel roll claiming it to be a 'secret Alton don't want us to know about' and hyped it up like there was going to be something at the end of it, only for it to turn out to be a straight bit of track?

Sam said:
Just a thought... when the ride is running at night, the screens could possibly just turn bright white to provide necessarily illumination for the queue, reducing the need for the hated 'Jennys'?

Not sure it would be bright enough, but it's a good idea. They could have put 'search lights' on the top for the same purpose, now you mention it. That would fit in the theme and get around the problem.

I'd be surprised if the screens could emit enough light to illuminate a queueline in the dark. Also with the lighting I'm guessing they'd want a source that wouldn't konk out during a trademarked Towers power-cut, which is another advantage the generators would have over the screen :p

Besides, the video would probably have an amazing impact in the dark. Really draw you into it :)

Blaze said:
Haha, bringing up the TTF pictures. Remember when they covered up half the barrel roll claiming it to be a 'secret Alton don't want us to know about' and hyped it up like there was going to be something at the end of it, only for it to turn out to be a straight bit of track?

Sam said:

Not sure it would be bright enough, but it's a good idea. They could have put 'search lights' on the top for the same purpose, now you mention it. That would fit in the theme and get around the problem.

Maybe Alton did want the barrel role to be covered up as it is part of 'The Disorientator'. We still don't know much about the indoor section and if this inversion had still not been discovered then it would have been a secret element combined with the special effect to become 'The Disorientator' - Only to be revealed when The Smiler opened.

TheMan said:
I have never completely dismissed the idea.

We could end up with a projection pre ride show, a piece of rotating track, or track/walls that appear to rotate due to 3D projection, laughing gas, no gas etc etc! It could be all, none, some or something completely different entirely.

The fact is, and where it is really quite extraordinary. No one knows. Still!

Incredible. We have literally seen every single piece of standard track either installed or waiting to be installed (I think the only bit of track I can't recollect is the catchment piece of the first lift-hill). Dismiss the idea. It's not happening.

I'm still incredibly interested into what ominous 'secret element' a completed roller coaster with no trick track, and standard trains, could physically contain. 4D elements was a good one, as if it wasn't a technological feat just to get them on a rising 5 meter drop tower.

I'm very sure this is just the world's most inverting, most compact roller coaster. And I'm very sure that's incredibly impressive by itself.

Burn.e said:
I'm very sure this is just the world's most inverting, most compact roller coaster. And I'm very sure that's incredibly impressive by itself.

I will dismiss nothing until the ride has opened and I have ridden it. One thing is for sure, there will be something as Mr Wardley himself has said it, various marketing materials alluded to it, and other information came to light with regards to the projections which make the potentials very interesting indeed.

The point I am making is, you don't know. You think you know, but you don't. I will dismiss nor expect anything now until I ride it, and that is credit to the amazing feat by Alton Towers of keeping something secret for this long.

One idea: perhaps the dark barrel roll and the effects which are due to come with it will 'disorientate' riders not by accentuating inversions but by clouding them. By this I mean, instead of a trommel's tunnel effect which makes the rider feel they are spinning more than they are, one which suggests they are not moving at all. Perhaps the 3D projection will be used in such a way that the enclosed section of the barrel roll appears to invert and move at the same speed as the car to tell the mind it isn't moving when it is.

Jon said:
Perhaps the 3D projection will be used in such a way that the enclosed section of the barrel roll appears to invert and move at the same speed as the car to tell the mind it isn't moving when it is.

I have wondered this myself Jon. So that when you came out the other end you really had no clue which way up you were - as in it can start half through the inversion etc - there's great potential.

I am not sure it will be at all complex like that, and the projection does state pre show so I still believe it may well be in the station itself.

That said you know, there is a mist on the game into the entrance to the first tunnel. Maybe that is it somehow...

Technology is so advanced now, and it is a pretty small area to use projections in unlike the Disney castle show, with some thought here and I'd imagine relatively small expense they could do something quite brilliant.

Can I just get rid of the Nitrous Oxide idea.

1) if it is to be breathed in, it will have to be medical gas grade
2) it would have to be diluted with oxygen so they would have to use ENTONOX®
3) the above two medical grade types are controlled as they are classed as a pharmaceutical drug (Nitrous Oxide is a anaesthetic and ENTONOX® analgesic)
4) They are also a major greenhouse gas and air pollutant
5) The intake of Nitrous Oxide or ENTONOX® can be dangerous or deadly for anyone with extra dissolved Nitrogen in their blood stream. usually from suba diving in the last 7 days.

And before anyone asked, I am trained in the administration of ENTONOX®

Does anyone know if the lights along the pathway into X-Sector have been removed or not? They quite suited the area theme, would be a shame if they were gone.

delta79 said:

3) the above two medical grade types are controlled as they are classed as a pharmaceutical drug (Nitrous Oxide is a anaesthetic and ENTONOX® analgesic)
5) The intake of Nitrous Oxide or ENTONOX® can be dangerous or deadly for anyone with extra dissolved Nitrogen in their blood stream. usually from suba diving in the last 7 days.

6) it's not cheap....

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

RustyRider said:
delta79 said:

6) it's not cheap....
7) This is a Theme Park, not a Hospital, despite whatever the theme happens to be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Unless it's Theme Hospital. ;)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.