• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

Based purely from what I can see in those photos, it looks worse than some of my lowest expectations.

That marmaliser does look very drab from those photos, it make me wonder whether Merlin Studios are actually capable of creating something with any creativity.

I would like to think that the base will have things added to it, but if that was the case then the decorative yellow and back stripes would not have already been added.

The legs would also look far more imposing if they were completely opaque like originally designed as oppose to the see through frame that is seen here.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

I think it's looking more and more certain that what we are now seeing as 'the marmaliser' is not at all what was originally planned. It looks nothing like the original spider in the plans, an building materials look very cheap and flimsy compared to I expected.

I really do think the 'Ministry of Joy' theme was rushed in towards the end of last year after they failed to secure an IP for the ride

Well that looks a lot worse than I expected.

With the legs and everything, it will look better, but it doesn't look as solid or as tall as I expected.

Like Chris, I stick by my belief the original design was the better one, but I'll at least wait until it's finished before I write it off completely.

I'm still not a fan of the girder style legs - the solid ones in the concept images look much better. Just adding panels to cover them would improve the look no end.

I am with everyone else in the idea of waiting for its completion before judging.

It definitely needs more solidity to it, if they don't that really will be daft or it just wont contrast strongly enough against the track.

The game has given strong design indications though, I'd imagine it will be similar to whatever that is given the cars now known, very high level of accuracy.

We really need to wait and see with this i think, i'm not expecting miracles but if it is going to be more elaborately themed then it wouldn't get those additions until after it was installed on-site for ease of transport.

Currently there is nothing to stop this:

521500_464022993668150_1240813972_n.jpg

becoming this:

i.php

I'm not saying it will (and i am slightly suspicious it wont) but we can't judge until the finished product is presented. Don't forget we never normally see this sort of construction as this phase always usually takes place in the closed season.

The concept art has girder legs...

Hard to judge it without the extra bits though...

personally i think that the end product will look very 'similar' to the concept art i posted ages back and Dave posted above, and also similar to the Marmiliser in the game. Everything so far has pretty much turned out as per the game. I see this being no different

My pictures taken an hour or so ago

Marmaliser hub and first leg:
BGicv7YCAAAhrNB.jpg

BGiclNACUAE9Ku0.jpg

On going digging on the vertical lift trench and more footers:
BGiTzUYCYAEQxwb.jpg

Station overview:
BGiW9t0CAAAqPQk.jpg

Knot overview:
BGiVWtPCUAAEfEm.jpg

Another angles of Marmaliser leg:
BGiU0S_CEAAlCVr.jpg

Making a structure out of dark grey truss is daft when it is in the middle of a tangled mess of very dark grey truss-style track. Are they trying to make it blend in? Half the guests probably won't be able to tell it from the track.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

I can't wait to see the marmaliser completed :) But I do agree with Diogo, the whole thing looks like its gonna blend in with the track too much.

DiogoJ42 said:
Making a structure out of dark grey truss is daft when it is in the middle of a tangled mess of very dark grey truss-style track. Are they trying to make it blend in? Half the guests probably won't be able to tell it from the track.

Maybe that's what they are going for, a bit like Nemesis I guess. It certainly clutters up further an already busy skyline.

DiogoJ42 said:

If theming doesn't get added to it, really all depends on whether there is stuff to be added to the structure.

Right, here we go again! ;D WARNING, VERY PICTURE HEAVY POST!

Lots of work on The Smiler site today. Mainly erecting part of the Marmaliser and groundwork including concrete pouring. Enjoy!

We start with a look at the maintenance shed, which now has a full roof and a wall:
P1150289_zps30e21c1d.jpg

Groundwork continuing where the vertical lift will go, including some concrete pouring:
P1150292_zpsae39a5b7.jpg

P1150294_zpsd451b680.jpg

Putting in rebar ready for pouring footers that will be for part of the second dive loop:
P1150295_zps156b60c9.jpg

A look at the one airtime hill that is now in place, which does indeed have a catwalk for some reason. This hill leads into the Batwing:
P1150296_zpse6bd7e17.jpg

I'm not actually sure what these footers will be for, can't seem to work it out. Shall have to have a look at the plans later:
P1150301_zps2488a492.jpg

The airtime hill again, and you can see some pieces of the Marmaliser:
P1150302_zps7967c70b.jpg

The body of the Marmaliser:
P1150304_zpsb29d6b4f.jpg

Here you can see part of one of the legs is up also:
P1150305_zpsdcb48b63.jpg

A closer look:
P1150307_zpsef4bea33.jpg

Preparing footers for the final turnaround:
P1150308_zps83072d3c.jpg

The concrete wall concealing the pre-first lift section is almost complete:
P1150310_zpsd037c4fd.jpg

A look from the bottom of the site:
P1150312_zpsf87da5b0.jpg

P1150313_zps2cb05f6c.jpg

The Marmaliser from Blivvy's queue:
P1150314_zps41a9ec89.jpg

Moving part of a leg:
P1150317_zpsf1a8eab9.jpg

P1150318_zps86b588ed.jpg

Some of the piston thingys waiting to be attached:
P1150322_zps3b839938.jpg

I spotted this, could it be for clearance checks?
P1150323_zps03bc5b95.jpg

These pieces seem to be used to connect the base of the legs of the Marmaliser to the footers:
P1150324_zps9468219f.jpg

It looks like the rest of the second dive loop will be put in place once further groundwork/concrete pouring for footers has taken place:
P1150328_zpsde2bce51.jpg

P1150342_zpsdaab7b9a.jpg

Another look at the airtime hill:
P1150329_zps5ea32104.jpg

Joining two pieces of the leg together:
P1150337_zpsf8dae35a.jpg

Lowering the rest of the leg into place, notice a piston has been attached:
P1150345_zpsa2206ef6.jpg

A completed leg:
P1150348_zps134c5eba.jpg

Obviously additional theming is yet to be added to the Marmaliser so it should look better upon completion than it does now. It's also worth pointing out that one of the reasons it does not look very tall/imposing is that the ground where photos are being taken from is a fair bit higher than the ground where it is situated. It should look more imposing from the queue etc.

Oh and finally, you see this pool of water underneath the crane:
P1150325_zps8b2498e1.jpg

Yeah, that's not water. That is where a construction worker decided he would urinate. And because part of the banners have fallen down from the fence it was right in public view. Disgusting if you ask me. So Towers if you're reading, this does not look good at all!

As per usual, all photos taken from areas of the park fully accessible to the public. Do not re-use my photos without permission. TowersStreet are free to use them if they wish!

:)

Thanks for pictures. Especially the one of the puddle of piss.

The size and shape of the marmaliser is as impressive as expected, however the theming finish is very poor.....so far.

Great pictures as ever.

:)

The delicate cladding/final finishing touches will be placed on the marm AFTER the small bladdered clumsy workers have finished banging it against the track etc etc... ;)

Incredible stuff, i think the marmiliser screen will add something special to the theme!

I believe there will be more attention to detail after the bulk of construction has ended.

We might even get the different names and gizmo's on each leg like the concept!!! Fingers crossed! :twirly:

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.