• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

The catwalk on the airtime hill looks too low to be for evacs, so I assume it must be for access to the trims.

And still pouring concrete? Oh dear :/

Pouring the concrete's not what's bothering me, the amount of groundwork still being done is the real shocker :/

AshleeKel said:
Thanks for pictures. Especially the one of the puddle of piss.

Have to second this ;D

Rob said:
It's also worth pointing out that one of the reasons it does not look very tall/imposing is that the ground where photos are being taken from is a fair bit higher than the ground where it is situated. It should look more imposing from the queue etc.

I mentioned this earlier Rob in that, The Smiler on pictures does it absolutely no justice at all. I think it will be more sprawled out rather than high, and if you check the pictures with the buildings connecting the bits of "leg" together, that should give a bit more context.

It could well be bigger, but then it wont feel as intimate when you are near it in the queue.

I just hope it has actual character, rather than simply feeling mechanical.

For all I have my concerns as everyone knows, I must confess it is making me chuckle.

Oh and the little air time hill reminds me more of Colossus than Saw - I like that little one on Colossus and really detest the one on Saw, so for me, that appears a promising balance. This is a steel monster looper after all, not a woodie.

I was a little concerned about the height of the marmaliser when it was first installed, but there are still 4 more legs to it, and I presume smaller theming elements which won't be added until later.

I would assume the main structure of the Marmaliser is being constructed by the construction team. Then once Merlin Studios have access to the site they will add the aesthetics to it.

Putting up theming on there now could be damaged with the rest of the construction. It makes sense to do this later along with the station and any other theming planned to be added on site.

People must remember that the pictures are taken from near enough level with the top of the structure and it's right down into the pit. Once it is open and people can get down it will be very visually impressive. I personally think it looks awesome up close, the screens will look great when on :)

Just out of interest, does anybody have any idea where the ORP would be on the ride?

This thing won't open in may...and if it does, it won't be 'finished'.

If we look at the concept art again:

article-0-185ADD1A000005DC-838_634x474.jpg

The marmaliser element will doubt in size shortly anyway with the attachment of the antenna. It just needs to be an awful lot more bulked out and theatric.

From that image, it looks like The Flasher has been installed today and it will have lighting rigs hanging down from the leg. That will bulk it out a bit and create more of a head-chopper element.

Hmmm, so they haven't been pouring concrete, I wonder why that is?

I mean, surely it cannot be because it's been covered in snow this past week and that concrete needs to be at a certain temperature to set correctly, no siree!

So, bets.

The secret element. Perhaps it's something to do with it being launched too?

First vertical launch still anyone?

Seen as these are the last things to be built, despite the fact there is no practical reason not to?

I don't get why people are disappointed with the Marmeliser, when all that's been put up is the big screen and one of the legs, sans theming. When all the legs are in place, and the subsequent theming added to them, starts to appear, we'll be in a better position to judge. You can't critisized theming when the theming a not there yet!

Johno said:
So, bets.

Seen as these are the last things to be built, despite the fact there is no practical reason not to?

But the game didnt show any launches;I'm not sure, the only real evidence we have of the whole ride is in the game, so I'll be trusting that for now.

I think the reason why they're doing the vertical lift last is because there was quite a lot of digging to be done.

AshleeKel said:
I don't get why people are disappointed with the Marmeliser, when all that's been put up is the big screen and one of the legs, sans theming. When all the legs are in place, and the subsequent theming added to them, starts to appear, we'll be in a better position to judge. You can't critisized theming when the theming a not there yet!

Whether I like the theme or not, time will tell, but even I agree with this. The artwork I did not like, which was complete, I think this is meant to be less height imposing and more sprawling, so it interacts better at a queue line level as well as track, for that to be appreciated it needs to be complete. Personally I think it looks quite impressive already given it's only the screen and a bare leg lol!

Phwoar, I do love a bit of bare leg mind you... ;D

cool_boy_jon said:
But the game didnt show any launches;I'm not sure, the only real evidence we have of the whole ride is in the game, so I'll be trusting that for now.

Remember, there are multiple secret elements on the game left to unlock. Consider how the game changed seamlessly when adding loops/twists etc. There is no reason another one couldn't be track related at all.

Arguably even more so now we know the cars don't appear to have any poking, prodding or lap bars etc... points more towards a track again if anything.

Something is coming, I'll be hugely surprised if they haven't dropped something mad in.

TheMan said:
Remember, there are multiple secret elements on the game left to unlock. Consider how the game changed seamlessly when adding loops/twists etc. There is no reason another one couldn't be track related at all.

Arguably even more so now we know the cars don't appear to have any poking, prodding or lap bars etc... points more towards a track again if anything.

Something is coming, I'll be hugely surprised if they haven't dropped something mad in.

Good point there.

We still have a missing inversion, if the "15 inversions" sign that an eagle eyed member spotted is to be true. Whether 15 is a mistake and there isnt the room to fit in another remains to be seen.

Personally I think that there will be an interactive element to the queue - perhaps not on the scale of some of the recent Disney queueline updates, but perhaps CCTV projection onto the marmaliser screen.

People still believe the "secret element" (actually "world beating") element isn't what he already know?! This is a 14 looping Eurofighter and only a 14 looping Eurofighter. And it's going to be magnificent.

Burn.e said:
People still believe the "secret element" (actually "world beating") element isn't what he already know?! This is a 14 looping Eurofighter and only a 14 looping Eurofighter. And it's going to be magnificent.

It's been said on multiple occasions now that it is a World Beating and World First, and JW himself has explained people will have to ride it to find out what it is. That will not be inversions, unless he thinks everyone will go around counting them ;)

rightbackgranty said:
TheMan said:

Good point there.

We still have a missing inversion, if the "15 inversions" sign that an eagle eyed member spotted is to be true. Whether 15 is a mistake and there isnt the room to fit in another remains to be seen.

Personally I think that there will be an interactive element to the queue - perhaps not on the scale of some of the recent Disney queueline updates, but perhaps CCTV projection onto the marmaliser screen.

That would be a great idea! That really will bring a bit of novel interaction into the queue, I suspect if it doesn't do that, and anyone from the design team is reading your post, they'll have just let out a big:

"ARGGGGGGH, WHY DIDN'T WE THINK OF THAT?!"

Oh Granty, I sooooo want you be right about that ;D - haha! Brilliant!

as long as the marmaliser screen is not used to sell MAPs and fastracks :D

Johno said:
So, bets.

I can promise you that there is no vertical launch. I'd imagine the lift track will be the last to go up. This is partly because groundwork is not complete, especially for the vertical lift. Footers are not yet in place for all of it. But yeah, 100% no vertical launch.

:)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.