• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

DiogoJ42 said:
So Gerst have finally figgured out that a vertical lift requires an in built evac platform, eh? I just hope they've also figgured out that peope don't like having their brains scrambled by vibration.

They've always done it that way. Saw has one, as does Rage and Speed. :)

Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

I thought all normal Eurofighters needed a cherry picker?

No. Saw has a platform at the side that rolls up the side of the lift structure. I've used it before. :)

Alton Towers Guide have posted an image of 'Half Way Corrected' minus the protective film:

485410_556632181034631_509075156_n.jpg

I don't think it looks that bad actually.

If the back was painted black it would look 100 times better, but it's not so far so what's the point in complaining about concrete? ;)

It's nice to see these small details being added now, and I just wish that they would surprise us and put the head-choppers in towards the Batwing-Cobra Roll combination.

Some kind of mini-promo video has been uploaded to Youtube, not really sure where it's from but the best bit is probably the interview with Mike Tubb at the end.

http://youtu.be/KDJbUqM3aWs

I'm just saying I went today and saw the ride in the flesh for the first time. I've read time and time again that photos don't do it justice but I didn't realise to what extent. The whole time I was in X-Sector my head was turned towards it, I just couldn't stop looking, it's huge. I took a couple of pictures with my compact then thought, what's the point? No photo I've seen so far gives a true portrayal of the sheer scale - it's incredibly dominating.

Given its size, I was surprised at how invisible it was from outside of X-Sector. You can see it from across the lake and from the Towers direction, but apart from those it has sunk into the surroundings very well. I was expecting to see it from the top of Spinball's lift but you can't! I was also expecting to see it from Towers Street.

Ohhhh, they are not really leaving those supporting walls of the vertical lift like that are they?
*holds head in hands*
I know I'm in the minority being negative about this 'theme' (it's not a theme, it's logo's and wording on concrete with some yellow pipes for good measure), but I always keep a glimmer of hope that they will turn it around. But no, wording straight onto the walls.
I really hope they are going to do some landscaping around these supporting walls, so it at least looks half finished.

I think atmosphere has a part to play in good themeing too. I'm hoping all the concrete won't be so bad once everything is in place and the ride has generated its own atmosphere.

'Theming' is a pretty misrepresentative umbrella term for a whole load of visual, theatrical, physical and aural techniques that act to build a themed environment or theme concept.

The Smiler does not have much "theming", in the sense that it doesn't use rich, detailed production design to convey its theme. None of X Sector works like that, it's more about the harsh physical landscaping and abstract architecture. Sure, writing on concrete walls and pipes are not exciting in themselves, but they are part of the overall theme design.

There are already some missed opportunities where The Smiler's darkly abrasive personality could have shone through even more - the large station buildings being one of them - but what they have built so far adds up well to a clear, uncompromised whole. That's a step up from Thirteen at least, and your average rider will be sure to enjoy it.

But then again, whether people like the concept itself is subject to personal taste. I love it - it is original, humoured and characteristic - but clearly others would have preferred a more serious tone. Or a totally different theme altogether. Fair enough.

gosling said:
I think atmosphere has a part to play in good themeing too. I'm hoping all the concrete won't be so bad once everything is in place and the ride has generated its own atmosphere.

I think this hits the nail on the head for me in terms of the whole of X-Sector.

X-Sector uses it's whole drab, concrete laden setting to it's advantage by further enforcing the foreboding nature Oblivion delivers and creating an atmosphere you don't really get elsewhere on park and without actually using a massive amount of theming. It's imposing nature and industrial feel lends itself to creating this awesome atmosphere, which in turn is theming in itself.

The Smiler, in my opinion, will only lend to this generation of atmosphere massively when it opens. The two most imposing rides on park side by side running together are going to be a sight to behold, and will generate quite an atmosphere, regardless of theming :)

I think a lot of you are sugar coating over the fact retaining walls used to keep back the soil are being left as they are.

Honestly I think it's ugly. I think a lot of the concrete being used on this thing is ugly. The walls could have had some form of covering over them. Not all the walls around the whole site, just the majority of it.I would assume though that they were not originally expecting to use any retaining walls so no doubt budgets have been moved around a lot resulting in no covering being able to be used.

You can use the "Oblivion had loads of concrete" and "X Sector is meant to be full of concrete" argument as many times as you like. There's no denying that this will look ugly though.

Alright so according to TowersTimes and apparently various staff on park, Testing is due to start today, That is the testing of the electronics, lifts etc. They also state that trains will arrive a few days later and begin riding round.

A few I always think as 3 so in 3 days trains will whizz round, if all goes to plan.
So if I use my app and say 8 hours testing a day. 200 hours of testing will be completed on 28/05/13 so 25 days. A little off the May 18th speculated.

If I say.. 10 hours testing per day it will be completed on the 23rd..
Realistically I dont see how they can squeeze more testing hours in as other jobs need to be done (queue line etc.)
So... I don't see this opening on the 18th ;)

If I remember rightly, the trains (well, at least one train) have been moved on site already...

The only way I see this happening is by doing 15 hours of testing each day..
If we count this pre car testing it will be expected to be completed on 13th May which gives them a little time to get the rest together.
If we don't count this pre testing it will be completed on the 16th which still gives them time but I don't see how 15 hours per day is possible.

You will soon realise over the next couple of weeks, what a pile of old turd that 200 hours testing rumour is. Where do you people come up with this stuff? Saw tested for like, 10 days. You're just plain wrong.

Remember though, while testing is taking place other jobs can be done, internal station construction, theaming adding, queue line construction and staff training. The only stuff that can actually be done is work requiring a crane and I believe close track work. In the interview they have said that more teams have been added to the site, so I believe testing can complete in time with a practically finished ride and ride area.

spin_doctor said:
You will soon realise over the next couple of weeks, what a pile of old turd that 200 hours testing rumour is. Where do you people come up with this stuff? Saw tested for like, 10 days. You're just plain wrong.

Also everyone can have an opinion, there are just nicer ways of expressing it, people with more reliable contacts and who I believe have much more authority on the subject have mentioned the 200 hours rumour, so I will choose to believe them, not saying your wrong, just personally don't want to believe a post expressed in such a manner.

I imagine they'll test from about 7am until upto 9pm, that means they'll only have to test for 2 weeks.

Saw was nothing special and therefore needed probably less time testing. Im not saying the 200hrs testing per car is true, but with new train types, new lift hill technology and whatever special effects they plan on using, this ride will require more testing and considering they seemed to have dismantled some support structure and haven't even got round to sorting all the supports out yet, I cannot see this ride testing for a long time.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.