• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

spin_doctor said:
You will soon realise over the next couple of weeks, what a pile of old turd that 200 hours testing rumour is. Where do you people come up with this stuff? Saw tested for like, 10 days. You're just plain wrong.

I believe that the 200 hours of testing was said at the Th13teen Behind the Scenes event, by John Wardley.

Saw's first test run was on December 13th (2008), and tested regularly during January and during the whole of the 'Thrill Chill' event which took place during February half term. I also heard that during testing one of the cars stalled during testing on the inside section (could be a silly rumour, could be true, I dunno). Certainly was tested a lot more than 10 days, unless you mean to say 10 whole days, ie 240 hours...

200 hours sounds about right. When cheetah hunt was built, Busch Gardens said they needed to run 3000 cycles before they could open it. Using that and a ride time of around three minutes works out at 150 hours.

Well.. if we say 12 hours testing (7am - 7pm) which includes pre tests then completion of testing will roughly be on the 17th which is the same day as the press day.

Also..

spin_doctor said:
You will soon realise over the next couple of weeks, what a pile of old turd that 200 hours testing rumour is. Where do you people come up with this stuff? Saw tested for like, 10 days. You're just plain wrong.

Such a way with words... Sorry for raising my point and disproving you, now excuse me i'll go to the dungeon and lock myself away like a good peasant my lord...

I'm looking forward to that photo now...

I think they would need to test it for more than 12 hours a day if that figure is right.

Remember they need time to do a few other things, and no doubt the creators of the ride will want a first go on it before the press and so on come along!

Even Ikea have an automatic seat tester for longer than that ;D

Something prone to this level of stress, and in this environment will be subjected to rigorous testing, as well it should be. This is an extreme of engineering when you consider when (all going well of course!) how many millions of rides this will provide.

I would imagine the actual amount varies from ride to ride for obvious reasons, I still think they'll make it in time *JUST*, but I certainly don't think 200 hours of testing without fault is far fetched as an estimate.

Just common sense that is really, and only really echoes anything mechanical built.

James said:
You can use the "Oblivion had loads of concrete" and "X Sector is meant to be full of concrete" argument as many times as you like. There's no denying that this will look ugly though.
Excellent point. The ultimate goal of a themed experience is for people to enjoy it, and concrete will always look ugly and oppresive - whether in the context of a "theme" or not.

I do think Oblivion's concrete was fine to an extent, but like I posted earlier the intention was for X Sector to be stylish rather than industrial. So it is arguable whether X Sector is supposed to be a deliberate 'concrete jungle' in the first place.

I think the whole thing runs the risk of looking a mess in a few years - the concreate will get green and dirty, as will the elements of the marmilizer, parts of the tv screens may stop working, Alton are going to need to spend some considerable money on this year on year to keep the area looking as fresh as it does now....

No matter what AT build it is going to weather and break eventually - our climate is at fault! The problem is, what materials do you use? AT have used a whole manner of materials across the park and all of them fail eventually.

I agree that AT need to put thought into maintenance and I am worried that the concrete will begin to look grimy. The solution is a cherry picker and a jet washer - something AT do own but seem to rarely use for some reason. :(

I can only see the essential Marmaliser screens being maintained. The effects might be taken care of for a few years, however I can see effects being left broken in future. Concrete wise, it will never be cleaned yearly, that's a given.

The only thing in Alton's eyes that will have to be maintained well is the screens.

James said:
I can only see the essential Marmaliser screens being maintained. The effects might be taken care of for a few years, however I can see effects being left broken in future. Concrete wise, it will never be cleaned yearly, that's a given.

The only thing in Alton's eyes that will have to be maintained well is the screens.

Sub-Terra still has screens today, which are either pink or broken, and have been since last summer.

The screens around Sub-Terra do not play such a big role though. Not in the way of storytelling, more in the way that the Marmaliser screens are huge and the whole thing is a key focus of the area. Any screens broken will immediately be noticed, even by your average guest. Anything else broken people will probably not care about so much or not even notice. The screen however will be noticed by all.

James said:
The screens around Sub-Terra do not play such a big role though. Not in the way of storytelling, more in the way that the Marmaliser screens are huge and the whole thing is a key focus of the area. Any screens broken will immediately be noticed, even by your average guest. Anything else broken people will probably not care about so much or not even notice. The screen however will be noticed by all.

It may be noticed and a key feature, but I still think once it breaks it'll hardly every get repaired. If Nemesis' station can look like it does as well as various other theming elements around the park do then I can't see it being repaired much, in the closed season maybe?

I hope I can be proved wrong, but I doubt it

I have to say, from first viewing the photos of the Station building in-particular, I absolutely hated the concrete aspect of it, it just looked so huge, clumsy and bland, however, having seen it in person, I actually really don't mind it at all! In person, unlike the rest of the ride and the Marmaliser which seems much larger, the station building looks much smaller and less obtrusive than in photographs! Yes, it's still a massive building, but the rest of the ride just overpowers it and puts it very much on the back view! The spiral paint work is now also helping to further break down the harsh edges of the structure, which is really effective!

I agree, yes, there is a colossal amount of concrete being used in this project, like seriously LOADS! But unlike others, as I say, I do not mind it at all, I really quite like the blandness of it and the concrete and gabion walls sit nicely in the surrounding space. As people have pointed out, the original plans showed bare earth excavation in a similar vane to Nemesis, and yes, while this would look much more aesthetically pleasing... In my honest opinion, it would just look completely wrong and out of place!! Such a landscape would just sit completely out of harmony with the rest of X-Sector and completely detract from a coherent theme. Personally, I think the shear amount of concrete and unbroken harsh lines used fits well with the rest of the area, but has just enough contrast to the smooth curves used on Oblivion.

Though, do not take me liking the concrete to be me saying that Towers have the excuse and permission to let it rot and fester! In fact quite the opposite, if they are really serious about using it so prominently, they really must make the effort either annually or bi-annually to give it a good clean, it must always look in relative pristine condition for the theme to have full effect and work well.

Also, in response to those saying the use of concrete is too much as it is harsh and overpowering, isn't that almost the whole concept of this ride! What I get from it is, that it is to be very sterile, monochromatic and generally oppressive, in order for there to be no distractions or emotions present other than the ones that The Ministry of Joy wish to enforce on you via The Smiler! But, that's just my opinion, after all, themes are very much down to personal interpretation and are often made better from what you make of them! It's all a very personal thing I guess.

But as I say, I am really loving the look of this ride so far, it is looking absolutely incredible! I just can't wait for it to open and see the whole thing running as I feel that will be what really makes or breaks this for most people. One thing I will say is, don't be too quick to judge unless you've seen it, the whole thing just has such an immense presence in X-Sector and has an entirely different feel in person, it really is very impressive! I look forward to seeing the remaining small details to be added to the ride over the coming weeks in the run up to it's opening :D

Sammy said:
One thing I will say is, don't be too quick to judge unless you've seen it, the whole thing just has such an immense presence in X-Sector and has an entirely different feel in person, it really is very impressive!

I have seen it.

I also echo the majority of your sentiments, including the station which I liked before they added the pictures to it (EDIT: I still like it, that read wrong). I think a couple of search lights, some barbed wire etc atop of it would not go amiss. I also don't think the concrete on the whole detracts from the theme either as you say.

There is however TOO MUCH of it. Just too much. It's not oppressive, I love spooky old concrete places with a bit of aging to them too, they look more authentic so I am not even saying it needs to be sparkly clean all the time. Gives them a haunting tone.

In this case though, there is no contrast, as there is nothing to contrast against at present other than more concrete. The letters, straight onto those walls are a huge no for me. That is the first time where, regardless of taste/preference, it just looked naff.

This has disappointed me, because I think once you have spent this much, break the budget a little and add the touches to make it brilliant.

Still I will wait till everything is in situ of course, many things proved me quite wrong, but those letters straight onto concrete on an important and supposedly imposing part of the ride for me just don't cut the mustard.

TheMan said:
Sammy said:
One thing I will say is, don't be too quick to judge unless you've seen it, the whole thing just has such an immense presence in X-Sector and has an entirely different feel in person, it really is very impressive!

I have seen it.

Oh yes, I know you've seen it mate! Sorry, that wasn't aimed at you! Didn't quite word it right. I am by no means telling people they are wrong if they dislike the amount of concrete, not at all. I am just saying, if you do happen to be a person, who's not yet seen the ride in the flesh, don't make a final judgement until you have seen it with your own eyes! As your opinion may well change, much as it did for me!

But, if you don't like it, that's not a problem. Like I said, themes, though they are set objects and landscapes, are very much open to interpretation in my eyes, and are often made better from what you make of them! And if you don't like them, unfortunately, that's that! Fingers crossed it wont affect your enjoyment of Towers biggest ever coaster too much though ehh ;)

Also, apologies if my last post was a tad long winded and ramblish! I've got my landscape head on and have been in Uni all morning studying the delightful topic of Car Parks and their various forms and aesthetics ;) (Yes, this is me comparing The Smiler to a car park! :p I still think it works well though!)

Sammy said:
TheMan said:
Sammy said:

I have seen it.

Oh yes, I know you've seen it mate! Sorry, that wasn't aimed at you!

To return the sentiment mate the reply wasn't aimed at you aiming it at me hahaha!!

Just pointing out to everyone I have seen it, but still don't like that aspect ;D

As I say mate, I agree with pretty much everything else you said, just ARGGGGH ALL THAT CONCRETE lol.

Still, it may well have been that or mud I guess.

TheMan said:
Sammy said:
TheMan said:
Sammy said:

I have seen it.

Oh yes, I know you've seen it mate! Sorry, that wasn't aimed at you!

To return the sentiment mate the reply wasn't aimed at you aiming it at me hahaha!!

Just pointing out to everyone I have seen it, but still don't like that aspect ;D

As I say mate, I agree with pretty much everything else you said, just ARGGGGH ALL THAT CONCRETE lol.

Still, it may well have been that or mud I guess.

I guess at least with the concrete, we knowing it shouldn't subside or fall down! Note the key word 'shouldn't' in that sentence, judging on the construction of this ride so far, who knows what could happen! ;)

siralgenon said:
James said:

Sub-Terra still has screens today, which are either pink or broken, and have been since last summer.
I'd say the marmaliser screens would be similar to having one of the batching/lifts/main show screens unavailable though, as it'd play a key part. So therefore will be fixed as soon as possible if it did go down.

Wasn't testing of certain components due to begin today? Any news of this? :)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.