• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

So TTF have shown images of what appears to be reinforced glass.

Perhaps we will get a glass floor for the shop?

The glass floor is something that I really hope we see come into fruition, as it would be something that (I think) is unique and would be, well, just damn interesting for us geeks really ;)

Johno said:

Where are these images? :)

I've looked through their forums and Facebook page and cannot find any photos of glass on either.

James said:
Johno said:

Where are these images? :)

I've looked through their forums and Facebook page and cannot find any photos of glass on either.
Correct, TT have no images of glass. There is however this photo of mine yesterday:

P1150903_zps5e868779.jpg

The panes of glass were carried straight into the shop. Make of it what you will!

:)

Ha Ha. Rob was to quick with his reply making my edit seem pointless. I still think they look like generic shop front windows. I to some extent hope they don't put glass flooring in. It will spoil the surprise effect of the ride and also glass floors will not only scratch slightly, but I can imagine it makes a noise as people walk over it. I know all glass floors I have walked on make a mixture of squeaking and banging as people walk over it.

One other thing from Rob's Pics yesterday, that I don't think has been mentioned on here, but feel free to correct me;

P1150894_zps3d88cd0c.jpg

But, in the above photo, look between the headrests of the seats, notice what looks like two little greyish rounded camera's. Exactly the same as the ones seen on The Swarm. So, it looks like we will be seeing the option of On Ride Video, similar to what used to be available on Oblivion! Seems like an odd choice if you ask me, seeing as it completely flopped on Oblivion and Saw and doesn't really seem popular on Swarm either. But we shall see.

*throws it out there*

What if it isn't (just) for On Ride Video but for some kind of post-show effect where your face on the ride is 'warped' somehow? It's doubtful, and it is probably just cameras for Picsolve but it could prove interesting if they are cameras.

Nice spot Sammy.

Scott said:
*throws it out there*

What if it isn't (just) for On Ride Video but for some kind of post-show effect where your face on the ride is 'warped' somehow? It's doubtful, and it is probably just cameras for Picsolve but it could prove interesting if they are cameras.

Nice spot Sammy.

I'll admit it wasn't actually spotted by me, Ryan pointed it out to me, but seeing as within the 24 hours since he pointed it out he hasn't posted it himself, I decided I would do the proper thing and share it with the community! ;) I'll just credit him here as I can't be doing with his inevitable moaning :p

But yes, that would be really cool, similar to what somebody suggested with the warped smile on the ORP's. (I think it was TheMan) Would all add up to make this a really really well polished and rounded experience! :D

Would be great and its not the first time the park used cameras to make a show/post show. Nickelodeon - Outta control used similar technology to merge various films and images taken by cameras around the ride to create a video at the end of the attraction.

Why did camera's flop on Oblivion and SAW? I presume they go down well quite well at PA due to them being on just about everything. I like them and think they're a good idea. How much were they charging in the UK?

If you go back to the original Marmaliser testing video one of the videos is an on-ride shot and it says "scanning for smiles" or something. You might have your face project to screen…

mikeroller said:
Why did camera's flop on Oblivion and SAW? I presume they go down well quite well at PA due to them being on just about everything. I like them and think they're a good idea. How much were they charging in the UK?

I think it was a lot to do with the price. The Oblivion one's were £10 each or they did a deal of 2 for £15. This worked out a lot more expensive that the old Your Day footage, when you think that there was (at one point) footage from a possible 8 rides for not much more.

I can't remember how much the Your Day DVD cost exactly, but I think it was between £15 and £20?

Although the footage from the ride DVD's was a lot better, I think that any of the general public that remembers the old style would have been put off by the cost for footage from just one ride.

Not to mention that most of the YD stock footage was dire and never matched the actual footage. ;)

Just going back to the welding that's taken place today, I don't know what the spec is or what the Gerst engineers will require, but usually a butt weld would require ultrasonic or radiographic testing to be deemed acceptable. Radiography would have to take place outside of opening hours but I don't suppose anyone has seen anyone running a probe over the weld? That'd be ultrasonics (think a pregnancy scan).

The ORP has been installed (will upload the image when I'm back at home). It has nothing to do with the Flasher.

Is it next to the exit of the sea serpent roll? I noticed a spare footer there yesterday.

I think Gertlauster engineers will be good enough welders that they don't need to probe thier welds afterwards. :)
It's nice that you all know about these techniques but they are seldom used, do you think they X-ray every weld at the factory?
They are professional engineers, they know what they are doing.

Christ, the park have created one monster of a ride. Its interesting that the opinion of this ride is that it was "rushed through" due to an unfinished B&M concept and how well its turned out. Considering that RITA was the last coaster to be rushed through, it really shows how well this thing has been done.

I'm more excited about this ride than some of the things in Florida. It seems like Alton are pitching this thing right. Whenever I think "oh, the tickler is a bit naff" I just glance at the rest of the photos and think christ, but its such a small part, I have another 300 things to look at instead.

Dar said:
Is it next to the exit of the sea serpent roll? I noticed a spare footer there yesterday.

Indeed it is. A big yellow camera now sticks out there.

ChocolateStarfish said:
I think Gertlauster engineers will be good enough welders that they don't need to probe thier welds afterwards. :)
It's nice that you all know about these techniques but they are seldom used, do you think they X-ray every weld at the factory?
They are professional engineers, they know what they are doing.

they do know what they are doing, that's why they check welds are correct.

Every industry would have QA testing once their products have been built to help make sure they match up to the criteria set.

Since this will be used by millions of people it's their necks on the line if something goes wrong, that's why they check everything.

QA yes but not checking every weld.

I've noticed the last couple of weeks a certain arrogance towards the engineers working on this project from some people on this site as though they don't know what thier doing.
Gertlauster are a German engineering company, enough said.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.