• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

B&M are Swiss, they know what they are doing. But ALL welds are checked on theirs.

Also the way this weld is done, it will be under even MORE scrutiny.

ChocolateStarfish said:
Gertlauster are a German engineering company, enough said.

So are Maurer Sohne... Just sayin' :p

I'd have thought that they'd be required to test this weld, given it was a modification made to the ride after leaving the manufacturing depot under different circumstances. It's not like it's a massive job for them to check it. A lot of rides have weld and cracks tests done during the closed season anyway, so they'll probably just do it as part of the final inspections before the ride is signed off for test runs :)

It's not exactly going to take long to inspect it, it's probably already been done.

ChocolateStarfish said:
QA yes but not checking every weld.

I've noticed the last couple of weeks a certain arrogance towards the engineers working on this project from some people on this site as though they don't know what thier doing.
Gertlauster are a German engineering company, enough said.

I'm assuming you're referring to my post as arrogance? I would say a welder who doesn't check their welds because they are the best welder in the world arrogance.

It doesn't take long to check and test welds for strength, assuming your welds are brilliant is arrogance, typing on an internet forum about QA testing isn't arrogance.

Must be a slow news day again if people are discussing the health and safety aspects of a weld. Nearly as exciting as the prior discussion on the effects of sprays of water the other day ;)

Exactly! Let's look at the positive here, the weld is done, therefore testing must now be imminent! If it doesn't start this weekend then I'd imagine it will be Monday or Tuesday at the latest.

:)

I actually love welds and I find your attempt at changing topic offensive.

Fredward said:
I actually love welds and I find your attempt at changing topic offensive.

Testing > welding! ;)

well...

I thought of something guys...

think Saw the ride.

bfa1cababa51475cbd49557.png

Big building, large indoor section, nice portion of indoor queue.

The Smiler (TT update)

7.jpg

now The smiler's building is just as large, if not larger.

but...

5.jpg

pretty much the entirety of the indoor section of the ride is underground and the top floor is taken up be the brake run, maintenance shed and station, that leaves the bottom floor completely empty...

does that mean a large indoor themed queue?

Maybe Towers has learnt from EP and thought, hey that Wodan ride has a nice queue. It seems similar to the way Wodan's queue works; using the space underneath the station and maintenance shed, and they have got a large amount of brilliantly themed queue in that space.

Either that or Disney style pre-show?

I maybe optimistic, but it seems a lot of unused space in the building.

Fredward great points mate.

I was wondering where there may be space for a pre-show, as the leaflet mentioning the projection graphics stated "pre-show" and I mentioned this a few pages ago. I was under the impression though that the queue went straight into the station. I am however rubbish at interpreting the plans ha-ha!

The amount of materials and labour and the size of the Smiler compared to Thirteen is just amazing surely the difference of 3 million there must of been a lie in the cost or some nice backhanders!!

From seeing the site today, personally I think it'll be Monday or Tuesday. I'll be over the moon if they can get it going on Sunday though! Anyway, potentially [pretty sure] the ORP anyone?:

3010jfk.jpg

Danny said:
From seeing the site today, personally I think it'll be Monday or Tuesday. I'll be over the moon if they can get it going on Sunday though! Anyway, potentially [pretty sure] the ORP anyone?:

3010jfk.jpg

Looks a bit small and too far away from the track to capture a picture of the riders. Maybe it's just a bog standard CCTV camera?:)

Danny said:

3010jfk.jpg

So, if that's the ORP Camera... What are these for?

943463_521706634560151_407835014_n_zps9238711b.jpg

Image Courtesy of FaceYourNemesis over on Coaster Force!

More than one ORP, or additional theming, or video cameras?

Who knows with this ride, the possibilities are endless! :D

Stevie said:
Danny said:

[IMAGE HERE]

Looks a bit small and too far away from the track to capture a picture of the riders. Maybe it's just a bog standard CCTV camera?:)

Due to not being a natural photographer, the angle this was taken from does not show it as well as I had hoped. It's a lot closer to the track than you think, and I believe it will take the image on the air time hill just after the sea serpent roll.

Stevie said:
Danny said:

3010jfk.jpg

I've seen where that footer is and thought it would be for the ORP. It's definitely not too far from the track, the track runs right along the side of it going into the cobra roll.

:)

Oh, I meant on the other side of the track, near to where the posts that Sammy posted are! There's a big, empty, footer just sat by the side of the retaining wall?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.