• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

Sammy said:
So, if that's the ORP Camera... What are these for?

943463_521706634560151_407835014_n_zps9238711b.jpg

Image Courtesy of FaceYourNemesis over on Coaster Force!

More than one ORP, or additional theming, or video cameras?

Who knows with this ride, the possibilities are endless! :D
Ok now this is interesting! No idea what they could be, additional theming? Now I've seen this as well I'm not quite as convinced that the other cameras are to do with the ORP. Could this all just be theming?

EDIT: Just noticed that the guy on the right has the Picsolve logo on the back of his hi-vis jacket( I think, if not it's a very similar logo). So maybe it is all to do with the ORP or videos?

:)

I was going to take a guess, but you know what, I give up ;D

Every time you think you know what is happening with this ride, it spins it on its head again.

Theme, actual cameras, CCTV, ORP who knows?

How are they building something this bold and brash, and we still know so little about it?

Crazy, never known anything like it.

The guy on the right looks like he's standing next to a scanner, I could be mistaken.

A scanner of what, I don't know?

Rob said:
EDIT: Just noticed that the guy on the right has the Picsolve logo on the back of his hi-vis jacket( I think, if not it's a very similar logo). So maybe it is all to do with the ORP or videos?

I wouldn't read too much into the logos, one of the guys putting the scaffold on top of the toilets had an "e.on" logo on his! It very well could be picsolve, but it could just be a spare high-vis if he forgot his or is a visitor to the site?

Dar said:
Rob said:

I wouldn't read too much into the logos, one of the guys putting the scaffold on top of the toilets had an "e.on" logo on his! It very well could be picsolve, but it could just be a spare high-vis if he forgot his or is a visitor to the site?

Its definitely a Picsolve high-vis vest. I believe the photo Danny showed was of theming cameras of the whole 'you are being watched' just like in the game. The actual on-ride photo will be in a different place I think.

picsolve-logo.png

That's the Picsolve logo. ;)

It's hard to tell at the moment where the ORP will be, but that does appear to be a likely location.

ChocolateStarfish said:
I think Gertlauster engineers will be good enough welders that they don't need to probe thier welds afterwards. :)
It's nice that you all know about these techniques but they are seldom used, do you think they X-ray every weld at the factory?
They are professional engineers, they know what they are doing.

The manufacturing code determines what is inspected. Welding requires non-destructive testing to identify internal defects, it's not a question of people knowing what they're doing.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

Andrew said:
picsolve-logo.png

That's the Picsolve logo. ;)
Actually it's not anymore ;). This is the Picsolve logo:

piw5lty1ejprls4gatmw.jpeg

Anyway, as others have said, I wouldn't pay too much attention to what hi-viz people are wearing - if you did, then at work I've been a fire warden, a Speymill contractor, and numerous other things as well, depending on what hi-viz I could lay my hands on at the time :p

Ignore me, thought it was something else.

Swes said:
The guy on the right looks like he's standing next to a scanner, I could be mistaken.

A scanner of what, I don't know?

You mean the yellow thing between the two guys? It looks to me like a CCTV mount. The round bit in the middle would be where it tilts up and down, like this:

cctv_1427656c.jpg

I wonder if it could just be theming, and the cameras keep moving around a bit as if they're surveying everyone in the queue. Or it could still be a normal CCTV camera. Either way at least they're making the effort to blend them in and use them to support the theme :)

^Yes, in between the two blokes. Yes looking at your picture it does look like a mount for a camera. Oh well wishful thinking.

Tom said:
ChocolateStarfish said:
I think Gertlauster engineers will be good enough welders that they don't need to probe thier welds afterwards. :)
It's nice that you all know about these techniques but they are seldom used, do you think they X-ray every weld at the factory?

The manufacturing code determines what is inspected. Welding requires non-destructive testing to identify internal defects, it's not a question of people knowing what they're doing.

It's nice to see enthusiasts that are master welders as well.

We can all live safe in the knowledge that us maintenance guys don't know what we're talking about.

Think about that next time your riding Nemesis!!!

ChocolateStarfish said:
Tom said:
ChocolateStarfish said:

It's nice to see enthusiasts that are master welders as well.

We can all live safe in the knowledge that us maintenance guys don't know what we're talking about.

Think about that next time your riding Nemesis!!!

If welds don't need testing then that is determined in advance by the designers' requirements, suggesting that if a 'good' welder is used then a weld wouldn't need testing is inaccurate. I said from the start I don't know what the design code requires in this case.

To move the topic on...

Been told that the ride "should be ready" for the 18th. Not sure if this is the public opening day, but certainly seems like testing and all the finishing touches are going to be started real soon. Doesn't leave them much time really!

Testing had certainly better start soon if they want it open on the 18th!

A train is on the track. Testing must be imminent. Most likely tonight out of the public view. Credit: Theme Park Collective Live

image118.jpg

A train has been on the system for a while. I assume the concrete footings should have set now so no reason testing cannot begin.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Testing sounds promising, but I'm still not convinced on that station building. It looks dirty already and I doubt they'll et time to power blast it?

I think thats the looks they are going for. Its kinda like some old concrete shelter. I don't think it was ever designed to look clean and pleasant.

From the Alton Towers Twitter account:
Lots of questions about #TheSmiler opening date, we'll hopefully be letting you know at some point this week! Nearly time to #GetCorrected

Alton Towers Guide also have a picture of the Smiler train on the track on their Twitter account here. If it starts testing today or tomorrow, I think I might go and have a look.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.