• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

Blaze said:
We're happy they're building a new ride but that doesn't mean we can't dislike parts of it.

I'm not saying you can't, but reading this thread of late has just been negative comments about it. At the end of the day, i'm not rollercoaster designer nor could I build one, so hats off to those who are working all hours to get this done on time for us. I'm sure someone who works at the towers must read these comments. If it was me i'd be thinking there is just no pleasing some people.
Just trying to bring some postive comments back. They cant help the delays the weather has ruined a lot for us all, maybe now there is this rush on because there is such a huge amount of pressure from people to get it done.
No doubt people will still moan about it on opening day like they did with Sub Terra.. and yes I hear there was some mighty problems with it.. But..
Its life.. its not perfect!

andyramone said:
One thing I thought they may do with the ORP is 'Smile' your face on it (so it looks like what they did to that JLS chap.) Not sure if that's possible to do automatically (probably not), but it would be a pretty cool thing to do if it's possible.
Probably not possible for the ORP, but I wouldn't be surprised if they have something that does it, maybe in the shop.

Noonie99 said:
No doubt people will still moan about it on opening day like they did with Sub Terra.. and yes I hear there was some mighty problems with it.. But..
Its life.. its not perfect!
Ah yes, but we moaned about Sub Terra on opening day, and they responded to it, and now we have a much better ride. ;)

Ah yes, but we moaned about Sub Terra on opening day, and they responded to it, and now we have a much better ride. ;)
[/quote]

I agree it is better. They may well have come to that conclusion themselves though because we were asked questions after we got off one time when they were doing a survey. I think we can all safely say that didn't go to plan, thats probably why they are over stressed trying to get this one right. I think we just need to trust them, its if cattle pens, so what? We will all likely be watching the ride go round its mental track anyway... queue lines dont bother me if i'm honest, give it a week and some chavs will have written all over them anyway. Which I have to say offends me more than something that isn't my idea of perfect or how it should be.

Forum member James is currently on park, and has these updates, complete with photos.

"Station wall facing Enterprise is complete, rest of station is now being done. The Flasher Arm on The Marmaliser has more theming currently being added to it too."

The station wall
480514_486724181383189_777509017_n.jpg

532080_486724088049865_1766890248_n.jpg

Images of The Flasher
483879_486722314716709_1121106280_n.jpg

166727_486722394716701_1158430082_n.jpg

The Flasher with what I think is the maintenance shed in the background
625446_486722468050027_900026857_n.jpg

Not sure what this is - possibly more stuff for the station?
532305_486723904716550_345105195_n.jpg

What looks like a bit of lift hill in one of the car parks.
644460_486724951383112_1210246493_n.jpg

And a view of the site from the Enterprise end.
532036_486723861383221_1894697976_n.jpg

andyramone said:
One thing I thought they may do with the ORP is 'Smile' your face on it (so it looks like what they did to that JLS chap.) Not sure if that's possible to do automatically (probably not), but it would be a pretty cool thing to do if it's possible.

I don't know how true it is, but I've heard that they're actually planning to do that with the ORP's. How? I haven't got the foggiest idea, but I'm sure its possible. :)

Stevie said:
andyramone said:

I don't know how true it is, but I've heard that they're actually planning to do that with the ORP's. How? I haven't got the foggiest idea, but I'm sure its possible. :)

It is very possible! *Goes and makes an app to beat them to it :p*

You could either:
'Stretch the image around the mouth, facial recognition API's and image editing scrips can do that in a flash'

Or even easier just apply an image over the top, adjusting colour based on skin tone.

Both are relatively simple.

Jonathan said:
Forum member James is currently on park, and has these updates, complete with photos.

"Station wall facing Enterprise is complete, rest of station is now being done. The Flasher Arm on The Marmaliser has more theming currently being added to it too."

Images of The Flasher

Cladding of the trussing!!

WORSHIP AND LET THERE BE PRAISE TO WARDLEY!

EDIT:
Also, thank F for James getting some more pictures of stuff happening today. Well done that man, Jon, pass my thanks to the young gentleman - thanking you!

EDIT EDIT:
That's not cladding is it. Why would they have the warning yellow stripes and then cover it over?

Confused

TheMan said:
Jonathan said:

Images of The Flasher

Cladding of the trussing!!

WORSHIP AND LET THERE BE PRAISE TO WARDLEY!

EDIT:
Also, thank F for James getting some more pictures of stuff happening today. Well done that man, Jon, pass my thanks to the young gentleman - thanking you!

EDIT EDIT:
That's not cladding is it. Why would they have the warning yellow stripes and then cover it over?

Confused

There will be cladding only around the base to stop people climbing up it

Big thanks to Jon for putting my pictures on here, very much appreciated!

Just a quick update from me, I'm on resort tonight so don't have much time to go too in depth.

- The Flasher had more theming put in place today, including the panels that will hold the lights (I assume the lights will be installed along with all the other electricals later on).
- The walls for the station are going up VERY quickly, I watched the concrete panels being moved from the coach park this morning. The whole wall side facing Enterprise is complete, the back looks complete (but I think it's been like that for a while?). The side facing Oblivion was having walls put in place this afternoon. Again, progress on this looks to be going very quickly.
- The exposed supports without concrete in them yet have been covered up with MDF (the ones by the toilet block), looks better and prevents people messing with them!
- Ride area fences are starting to be put in place.

For those of you that have been concerned about The Marmaliser not standing out enough, go see it in the flesh! It looks magnificent in person and is extremely imposing. Photos will never do this thing justice!

I was somewhat not bothered about this ride beforehand, but seeing it for person has made me very very excited over the project. It looks far better in person and The Marmaliser will be a very beautiful piece of theming when it's complete. Alton Towers could be on to a winner here!

Oh and a side note. The Smiler pills were different flavours. However they've disappeared off all shelves today. I was talking to a member of staff in Towers Trading and they informed me that the 'pills' have been taken off the shelves and will no longer be sold.

LOL! I wonder if there have been complaints already, or if they just realised how stupid an idea the pills were?

Oh and it looks like more lift hill track was delivered last night. A lorry was on the coach car park and there looked to be more lift hill track. I'm not 100% sure though and foolishly took no photos (apart from the one above showing a track with tyres). There's a lot of track with tyres too, but I know nothing of ride components so it might be nothing. :p

Jonathan said:
What looks like a bit of lift hill in one of the car parks.
644460_486724951383112_1210246493_n.jpg

That's the transfer-track for the maintenance bay. It's been sat in the car park since about January. You can see the locking bolt at the end that will line it up with the tracks.

More details in the form of spikes were being added to the top of one of the arms today, it looks quite good and it should extend to all of the arms.

AshleeKel said:
I'm wondering what's happening with queue construction. Shouldn't that have started by now?
Nah it takes days to make the queue line I think thirteens was done the night before :)

josht said:
AshleeKel said:
I'm wondering what's happening with queue construction. Shouldn't that have started by now?
Nah it takes days to make the queue line I think thirteens was done the night before :)

Is that actually true? I've heard it several times, but it's quite hard to comprehend :/

AshleeKel said:
josht said:
AshleeKel said:

Is that actually true? I've heard it several times, but it's quite hard to comprehend :/
as far as I'm aware yeah :)

AshleeKel said:
josht said:
AshleeKel said:

If you've queued in it it isn't ;)

;D

TheMan said:
AshleeKel said:
josht said:
AshleeKel said:

If you've queued in it it isn't ;)

;D

TH13TEEN's was made from wood, this is all metal so I'd presume it will take longer than an overnight set up. Its not built into soil either.

It's worth pointing out that the joints between each section of The Flasher has been covered up so it looks more like a complete thing instead of lots of beams joined together.

I know someone mentioned that this part of the marmaliser was concerning them, can't remember who it was though.

I believe it was Diogo, Wilsy.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.