• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

CoasterCrazyChris said:
You've got to admit though, those satellite dishes stuck on the top don't half look awful.

I quite like them.

I really don't understand all the negativity towards the theming. I genuinely think people on this forum aren't happy unless they're complaining about something - anything. This ride looks like it'll be amazing to ride and includes theming that'll provide head choppers aplenty.

Agreed - the theming looks absolutely brilliant, and we wouldn't have even got something like this 5yrs ago.

It's all win in my books.

Moan moan moan moan moan!
A week later and still all negative! I go back to something I said a month or so ago, if you dont like it DONT RIDE IT!

I do think people are being overly critical on here. Photos never do whatever they are of justice and it's still at least a month away from completion so I think people should calm down and just wait and see how it looks. I won't comment on the theming side, but the ride itself looks absolutely incredible!

Can we direct this topic back towards its intended purpose. It seems to have been hijacked by people who don't like the theme moaning at people who do and visa versa. It would be fine if it was actually a debate about the theming but it's turned into a debate about people and their views.

Please stick to the Smiler itself rather than debating fellow members.

(tries to aim topic back to construction updates)

has anyone been on park today? is there any new additions to report?

Dave said:
Can we direct this topic back towards its intended purpose. It seems to have been hijacked by people who don't like the theme moaning at people who do and visa versa. It would be fine if it was actually a debate about the theming but it's turned into a debate about people and their views.

Please stick to the Smiler itself rather than debating fellow members.

I agree, BUT The title does say "and ride speculation" so people are going to "speculate" and that will cause debate in itself.
I just want some positive comments, I'm not able to pop in as we live so far away so reply on good peeps on here to give great photos and updates. I think this ride is going to be fantastic, Alton Towers are renowned for their world firsts and this one will be without doubt a good one! John Wardley will want to go out with a bang lets be honest.
So can someone confirm incase Ive missed it, whether the arms will move?, come towards you as you belt around the track. Sorry if i've missed that bit already..

543844_467709949966121_244891251_n.jpg

Thanks to TowersStreet :p Thought I'd post it on your behalf.

Do like the look of the innoculator! And are they cladding the satellite array or am I seeing things?

EDIT: I am seeing things.

Noonie99 said:
So can someone confirm incase Ive missed it, whether the arms will move?, come towards you as you belt around the track. Sorry if i've missed that bit already..

I don't believe the arms will be moving, but what's been set up at the moment looks like it'll make for some great near-misses (which is what all the talk of 'psychological' stuff was about'.

Also, The Innoculator is looking rather good. I'm getting more and more excited!

The Innoculator looks much better than the quality of the Flasher. It's probably something that looks even better in person, but it's looking great so far.

And here's a close up from T2G:

603998_461727147230477_1343604798_n.jpg

How on earth are they going to fit a queue, and plaza, under that!? :eek:

God, it looks crazy!!
Thanks AshleeKel re the movement!!
I literally cannot wait now..why cant it be May?!! I tell you what else I like, and thats the colour.. just those flashes of yellow look brilliant!

My concerns about this are the fact there is so little contrast between track and legs. I was due on park today but my lovely pals have gone anyway so I look forward to getting a nice normal balanced view.

It is impressive and messy in equal measure.

As for the people saying if you dont like the theme dont ride it, since when did you ride theming? No one to my recollection has said anything about the track bar Gerstache concerns. The rest is subjective.

As for this inoculater thing. Very cheesy but whacky.

No matter whether you like it or not it is more like some whacky evil cartoon than anything else. More Dr Doofenshmirtz of Evil Incorporated than Dr K.

Just done some trimming of the past few posts in this topic to prevent it from escalating further.

Please read our Member Expectations before discussion continues.
Does your post really match the style we welcome, is it pleasant in tone and non-inflamatory. If not please don't press that post button.

Also if you see a post you feel doesnt meet our expectations, or see a post you dislike please use the report post button and one of the team will respond. Please do not drag the topic into bickering and nonsense, no-one wants to read it.

Any problems please feel free to contact me or any of the TS Team.

--
Now please continue discussion. Thanks!

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

I *love* the Inocculator and it's crazy oversized needles! This whole thing is building into something equally sinister and camp and I think that's the kind of theme that Merlin and in particular Alton have been crying out for.

Every ride Merlin seem to build involves dark, sinister themes and this looks as though it will take that but with a cheesy Alton twist - and I love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

TheMan said:
My concerns about this are the fact there is so little contrast between track and legs. I was due on park today but my lovely pals have gone anyway so I look forward to getting a nice normal balanced view.

I agree that when you see photos that is a concern. However when you see it all in person (especially when the sun is shining) there is a good contrast between the legs and the track. I feel this contrast will only grow as more theming is added. As James said a few pages back, the Marmaliser really does look so much better when you see it in person. It's so impressive and will look very imposing when you are standing on the lower ground where it is situated.

A few other points from me regarding recent construction. I do agree that the top piece of the Marmaliser does look a little silly and out of place as it were at the moment. It's not as tall as on the concept and does look small compared to the rest of the structure. Hopefully it will look better when it is completed though.

Finally, that second airtime hill leading into the cobra roll looks awesome, it's much bigger than I was expecting! Construction is taking place at a really good rate now.

:)

Rob said:
TheMan said:

I agree that when you see photos that is a concern. However when you see it all in person (especially when the sun is shining) there is a good contrast between the legs and the track. I feel this contrast will only grow as more theming is added. As James said a few pages back, the Marmaliser really does look so much better when you see it in person. It's so impressive and will look very imposing when you are standing on the lower ground where it is situated.
:)

That is so true of the track, so I can imagine it can be the same for The Marm itself. The one thing about this ride, is photos have never done it justice - I could not believe the difference in person, like no other ride I can remember in that respect. SOOO much bigger! :)

Also, a personal thank you for all the regular updates (and mapping lol! ;) )you've been bringing to the thread.

I'd say one reason pictures don't do this justice is the type of track. Since intamin is more common, I keep comparing the track to Rita or th13teen. You have to remember, this tracks gauge (wideness) is probably twice as wide as ritas. Closer in thickness to B&M than intamin.

It really does look twice the size in person

Wait, is the flasher leg finished? That's awful.

The inoculator is even worse. Two comedy sized needles doesn't exactly constitute great theming.

I'm fine with it being cartoonish and camp, but there's a difference between good cartoonish and camp (Nemesis) and this.

I believe there is probably more to still be added to all of the legs.

However, I would also imagine they want to have stopped moving anything heavy and potential dangerous/damaging to the theming before installing more delicate theming pieces.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.