• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

djtruefitt said:
JB1985 said:
This is bloody awesome, the marmiliser looks great. Even the tickler when lined up next to a man looks impressive.

Has anyone any screen shots from the game of what the station exterior should look like, I still havent played it.

And as for that second airtime hill, wow

There are loads of screenshots of the game, including the station in our news article from when the game was released: http://www.towersstreet.com/news/2013/the-smiler-game-released/

cheers :)

This ride is going to be awesome. Even if the tickler is a car wash :p I'm loving the giggler canisters and the inoculator, but it would be scarier if the needles were pointing at you rather than if the needles were above you. I do hope the needles don't spray you with too much water, if it does spray water it should be like the body on saw. On a track note, it is absolutely mental! :twirly: can't wait to ride it!

Is it possible to get any pictures of the back of the station from the access road? Would be interested in seeing what that's like ;D

I'm most worried about the state of the station at the moment.

If they have started placing the yellow decal pipes I can only assume the finish we see is mostly final apart from decals. Why attach bright yellow pipes first if you are going to paint or finish the wall differently?

Ill wait till its done (or at least the scaffolding is gone) but I'm slightly worried the finish we see is what we get...

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

Just out of interest, is the Flasher going to be the place of the ORP?

Sent from Tapatalk, excuse any mistakes.

Fredward said:
I'm most worried about the state of the station at the moment.

If they have started placing the yellow decal pipes I can only assume the finish we see is mostly final apart from decals. Why attach bright yellow pipes first if you are going to paint or finish the wall differently?

Ill wait till its done (or at least the scaffolding is gone) but I'm slightly worried the finish we see is what we get...

To be fair, the pipes have only been placed on part of the side for now. The decals/designs will most likely be concentrated on the front of the station.

Hope so, but it has got me slightly worried!!! I hope to be proven wrong though!!

Fredward said:
Hope so, but it has got me slightly worried!!! I hope to be proven wrong though!!

I too share your station concerns...it already looks dirty and the ride isn't even open yet, hmmmm.

The innoculator looks great, would've been great if they had little motors so they moved up and down in a jabbing motion!

But the station building is suppose to have a distressed look about it, so chances are it will be mainly left

Rob said:
Yeah, I don't think it's going to be a van! Not sure what it could be:
P1150495_zps2a426bbf.jpg

My bet is a photo booth.

Though I hope I'm wrong, I have to agree with TheMan. Looks like its in the right place to be a photo booth. Perhaps the floor space of the "shop" is a lot smaller than first thought - or perhaps it doesn't really exist. I thought there was loads of room but looking at last nights pictures the area I thought would be the shop looked suprisingly small. May just be looking from the wrong angle though.

Only strange thing is that it's not made out of a shipping container. If have thought that were we to see a Merlin Special it would be there.

With regards to the station, I'm not expecting much in the way to change. I think that there will be some fake old dirty windows similar to the artwork we originally saw, with added pipes and similar things. Part of me really hopes we see an old "Hospital" sign with a wonky broken letter similar to the Hollywood Tower Hotel - but as I'm not entirely sure they're going down the medical route with this it may or may not work

Ben. said:
Novas said:
Very tired of the unjust negativity now. I was going to single people out but I've decided to behave, however as an example one person has now posted in this thread 12 times in the last 48 hours and every single one of their posts has been a complaint. They are not alone and frankly I am so bored of re-reading the same peoples opinions every time a new bolt is fixed into place.

Whilst the team have tried hard to clean this thread up and get people on topic it remains a serious chore to read at the moment. At times it is endless pages of “OMG I can’t believe they’re leaving it like that!” and then 24 hours later “O look, they fixed it, nevermind.”

It would have been so flippin easy for the park to go with a non-descript space theme and blend the ride in seamlessly with the existing area, but for once they decided to think outside the box and I for one love the results. Everything about the ride is over the top, fantastically daft and fun*

Some aspects of the Marm look weak at the moment but It does seem to be improving with every update, the syringes look fantastic and I hope they're interactive.

The idea of a shipping container shop is the first thing to make my heart skip a beat. I get it, shipping containers make great shops, but I do hope that they make some kind of effort to disguise it!

I'm not sure about the reliability of Ride Rater for news, but It would be a rather unusual and pointless story to make up or to exaggerate. The date seems about right for me, get the lift hill up over the next week and they'll have a full month of testing... it could be legit.

* Some of you may need to think back to your pre-enthusiast days to recall the meaning of this word.

I'm sorry, just a few things;

1- how on earth would a generic non-descript space theme fit in with x-sector?

2- there's outside the box, and then there's just bad ideas, and a car washer attached to a metal frame doesn't exactly spell out the sinister, human experiment theme we were expecting.

3- You may be sick of people complaining, but they are merely voicing their opinions, the fact that its different to yours may upset you, but a majority of the forum will be negative and critical, because it hasn't turned out as hoped so far, and mainly because we care about the project.

The fact is that the theme at hand here is incredibly dark when you think about it, alien monsters, haunted forests and zombies are all rather far fetched and as a result can be toned down to the extent its acceptable in a family theme park. But human experimentation? Insanity? That is really dark stuff.

The smiler is essentially a battery correctional facility for those suffering from insanity...... wow.

So there is a need for all this fluff, the car washer, the over sized syringes, and the slightly cartoony set out. Because there's a fine line between creepy and dark, and horror.

Alton could create a sanctuary style ride if they really wanted, surrounded in a sinister dark theme, with blood on the walls, people in straight jackets and all it brings with it, but that would be crossing a line I think, a line they create when they market themselves as a family resort.

So ye, unstructured rant over, I don't post often so sorry if this doesn't make any sense at all, but that's my opinion on the whole marm argument. I don't like it, but I think it helps bridge the gap between an acceptable ride, and an incredibly sinister and dark ride. :/

Black Hole was a pretty non descript space themed ride and that fitted in just fine? Put your GP hat on for a moment and X Sector is a completely abstract futuristic / industrial area that you could easily shoehorn any kind of space / rocket themed ride into.

The theme comes down to expectations. I don’t think the marketing gave the impression of anything other than what we got and I certainly never expected this ride to be overly gritty and dark. The park gave you some very loose ideas, and you and others ran with this and assumed that we were going to get some x-rated extreme horror themed ride, whereas I was badly burnt by the hype of 13, NST and Air, so I kept my expectations firmly in check for this one.

I can’t defend the car wash brushes tho. I hope they won’t really demand any focus off ride and I expect they’ll be a good laugh to hurtle towards on ride.

I’ve posted a follow up post regarding the negativity rant. Apologies that I can’t remember if it was before or after your response but I won’t enter the debate again at the moment.

MODS – Can we relocate this to the Speculation topic pretty please?

If they do intend to leave the station building as a massive concrete block (and the fact they’ve started adding the pipes to the side suggests they do) then that looks even worse than it did on the plans.

How ironic that when they build concrete buildings in cities these days they give them touches of “theme” to make them look less blocky yet a Theme Park decides not to do so.

I’m not against the look they are going for but you only have to look across to Oblivion’s Station to see the correct way to make a supposedly concrete building with style.

Of course I won’t judge until they’ve finished it but why would they start adding theme to the building before covering up what’s underneath it? But I will say the Yellow Pipes look good, as does the Marmaliser (I even like the Tickler just because it’s different and interesting although I feel it could have been better executed, bigger with black stripes for example).

Maybe once it's all open and we fully know the theme and back story the station will explain it's shoddy exterior but right now it just looks like an unfinished house (I'm fully aware that it is unfinished before anyone jumps on my comment).

The one Marmaliser leg I don't like so far is The Tickler.

If it does actually spin, can you imagine when its inevitably left to become filthy and rotten (this is Alton we're talking about) all the muck being flicked at you, especially on a wet day. No thanks ::)

Will the tickeler get black stripes like in the game?
Will the spider legs get a yellow messy spray paint like the game?

jmc said:

If it does actually spin, can you imagine when its inevitably left to become filthy and rotten (this is Alton we're talking about) all the muck being flicked at you, especially on a wet day. No thanks ::)

You have a point there!!!

jmc said:

A bit presumptious. I remember when the people who visited Alton didn't deface queues, walls, toilets with Graffiti and drop litter. Maybe Alton have let things slide because when they do clear things up, idiots ruin it. Maybe it will have a cover to keep it dry. Think we should wait and see before again trying to put it down before its finished!
Wait and see!

Noonie99 said:
A bit presumptious. I remember when the people who visited Alton didn't deface queues, walls, toilets with Graffiti and drop litter. Maybe Alton have let things slide because when they do clear things up, idiots ruin it. Maybe it will have a cover to keep it dry. Think we should wait and see before again trying to put it down before its finished!
Wait and see!

Not presumptious at all.
Alton have a long history of not maintaining their theming (or at least taking many many years to do something about it. Just look at The Smilers next door neighbour as an example. With this as evidence, I dont see how this will all of a sudden change with The Smiler.

I give up. I'm not getting into this again because it became personal. I guess I take it a bit personal because I have been going to Alton since 1983, and back then it was a very different place. Others who have come in and visited in the more recent years never saw it like it used to be so it annoys me that there seems to be this expectation and snobbery about this ride all of a sudden, yet the queue line will be defaced in seconds by people with no idea the hard work that went into building this. Dont want to go off topic, but this is really sad and I hope this ride really does knock the socks of those who have put it down stage by stage and day by day.

Cant wait to ride it, I think its going to be brilliant and at the end of the day not everyone will like it so guess we all just have to suck it up and live with it.

Those latest photos are fantastic, I wish I could go and see for myself and not have to rely on others so thank you.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.