• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

Not sure where to post this, but I just spotted this on my Facebook wall:

710_2593sw.jpg

It's from this article. Love it!

It's not normal but it could be down to the wheels on the carts etc...

I don't think it's a major problem at all.

That noise is.... :mad:

When it isn't screeching thugh, it seems unbelievably quiet!

I wouldn't worry too much about the noise, the trains have only started testing and give them a few more runs and some WD-40, then that'll be ok. Never mind that though, the entrance does bug me though, but hopefully it should get some touch ups before it opens.

Clearly people never heard Tonnerrrrrre de Zeus last year...

Considering the screech is like, 3/4 times in the track? Nothing to be worried about, let the wheels wear in and it might not even exist...

I was expecting it to be screeching deafeningly throughout... It isn't... Friction creates noise, especially on brand new components...

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

EuroSatch said:
If a person has physically ridden this, does it mean they have completed the required testing hours? So all that is needed to be done is the landscaping and final theme elements
I too wondered this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Clearly the screch is intentional.

Nemesis has a Roar
Smiler has a Screech.

I doubt this is a problem, especially as they've announced an opening date and it's known to have occured on other coasters during testing. I imagine it's a matter of wearing the wheels in, in the same way you wear shoes in.

I'm sure the screech isn't anything to worry about, neither will it stay there permanently. When Saw was being tested back in December of 2008, a video was uploaded showing this and the wheels screeched a lot too. But when it opened and now being open today, there is hardly any screeching.

Here's that video which some may remember:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDAGsjYXCnM#

But besides the rather bad entrance, The Smiler looks brilliant!

Don't think the entrance looks so bad on this picture:

CameraZOOM-20130510125714303_zps9b8dce94.jpg

DiogoJ42 said:
I can understand why the theory of a reverse drop on the vertical lift came about. Hell, the thought occured to me when I first saw the magnetic fins. But it wouldn't add anything to the ride unless the lift was enclosed to make it a surprise.

Why wouldn't it? It's like saying Oblivion is pointless because you can see the drop. It would still provide an unusual sensation which is the whole point of the roller coasters.

So um, that looks alright, doesn't it?

Oh wait, let me rephrase that.

OH MY ******* GOD THAT'S THE BEST THING I'VE EVER LAID EYES OM LET ME HAVE A GO MOW!

mikeroller said:
DiogoJ42 said:
I can understand why the theory of a reverse drop on the vertical lift came about. Hell, the thought occured to me when I first saw the magnetic fins. But it wouldn't add anything to the ride unless the lift was enclosed to make it a surprise.

Why wouldn't it? It's like saying Oblivion is pointless because you can see the drop. It would still provide an unusual sensation which is the whole point of the roller coasters.

Well, it would be a bit like Th13teen's "pre-drop" in my eyes. It only works if you don't know it's comming. It relies on the element of surprise.
In fact, if it was enclosed and had a reverse freefall down the vertical lift, I think that would be a brilliant idea. Think of the terror it would bring if you didn't know about it! But with it being exposed for all to see, the shock is lost.

But anyway, that's not going to happen, it's just a normal vertical lift ;)

So there's almost a 50 second gap between finishing the first half and climbing the vertical lift.

Interesting...

JoshC. said:
So there's almost a 50 second gap between finishing the first half and climbing the vertical lift.

Interesting...

I honestly don't think that it'll be like that for the ride. Possibly around 20 seconds though to allow riders to watch the video.

JoshC. said:

Interesting...

YEAH I BET THAT'S FOR THE DROP DOWN THE VERTICAL LIFT. OR THE WASHING MACHINE.

I LOVE TO TYPE IN CAPITALS, AS I'M A TROLL. TROLLOLOLOL.

Seriously though, it's only because the first half has the barrel roll that makes it longer. There will be TV's before the vertical lift to keep you occupied anyway, I reckon they'll just use this opportunity to add to the story.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.