• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Smiler - General Discussion

I was hoping to see them put in that piece of track upside down, take it out then put it back the correct way!

Spotted a load of engineers around the support for the cobra roll's second inversion today.
None of them were smiling either. :(

It was shaking more than ever today as well.

Bear said:
I reckon there'll be some extensive off-season work to come...

New for 2014: a big empty space of land where The Smiler used to be!

;)

Rob said:
Bear said:

;)

... and an inadequate explanation as to why!

Imagine if we come back next season and the whole thing has been secretly Intaminized... :p

Bear said:
Rob said:
Bear said:

;)

... and an inadequate explanation as to why!

Imagine if we come back next season and the whole thing has been secretly Intaminized... :p

It's already been Intaminized surely...it's broken almost all of the time ;)

Leek signs have overnight installed some new signs attached to the fences and gate near the toilet block at the entrance to X-Sector explaining the legs of the Marmaliser (the definitions used on the websites and marketing material) and showing facts about the ride. I suppose it vaguely explains some of the theme of The Smiler to guests who don't know about it, however not much.

On the plus side, they've spelled 'Marmalisation' correctly. On the negative side, they've now spelled 'The Inoculator' wrong.

Photos credit to Theme Park Addition:

8556_156451434562551_1361506449_n.jpg

1240159_156451494562545_2013166520_n.jpg

I like them, especially the key visual image on the leg explanations, although the inoculator is on the second half of the ride isnt it so how can it be the first part of the process? I may be wrong :/

It's genuinely baffling how they consistently spell things wrong. It's the most basic of errors! People are paid to write this stuff :p

It's very eye catching but this marketing imagery adds nothing to the theme of the ride or the area.

Reading the 'explanations' for the themed legs just makes me cringe because none of it sounds sinister in the slightest, even if that's what they intend.

It would be better to spend some money on ACTUAL theming and not just branding.

This might sound judgemental but I'm annoyed when rides verbally spell out their theme to pander to the lowest IQ, especially by using signage. It's like having a scene in a film where the characters recap the plot as if we're too stupid to understand.

The signs look pretty from a graphics perspective but all those promotional facts and branding stuff should be relegated to the website.

If they think the Smiler is too confusing for people to enjoy then they have done a naff job of explaining its otherwise brilliant concept. Nobody wants to stand around reading a lot of fictional silliness on billboards when they could be enjoying the ride anyway. I hope these signs don't last into next year.

electricBlll said:
...I hope these signs don't last into next year.

Don't worry, they'll probably fall off because someone stood near them, in a week or so. :p

-
electricBlll said:
This might sound judgemental but I'm annoyed when rides verbally spell out their theme to pander to the lowest IQ, especially by using signage. It's like having a scene in a film where the characters recap the plot as if we're too stupid to understand.

The signs look pretty from a graphics perspective but all those promotional facts and branding stuff should be relegated to the website.

If they think the Smiler is too confusing for people to enjoy then they have done a naff job of explaining its otherwise brilliant concept. Nobody wants to stand around reading a lot of fictional silliness on billboards when they could be enjoying the ride anyway. I hope these signs don't last into next year.
It does sound a little elitest to be honest. It's not a question of IQ. In truth a lot of people probably don't care a great deal about theming but would like a general overview of the reason behind it. Afterall, unless you're a die hard fan and already know about the MOJ and trawl forums, it probably does all seem a bit random. Most people probably do work it out, but the signs just confirm things and isn't exactly offensive.

For that reason I like the signs and think they look good, apart from the incorrect spelling which there is simply no excuse for, and incorrectly stating that the inoculator is the first stage of the marmalisation process.

Just my opinion of course...

I wish I had something witty to say here.....

A theme park shouldnt need signs with facts or descriptions to make the ride exciting; it should be exciting already (which in my opinion The Smiler already is). Likewise people riding The Smiler should not at all need to be a die hard fan or read boring Internet forums to enjoy the ride to its full extent.

Thirteen had even worse online promotion, especially that pointless "backstory" about digging it up underneath Corkscrew and all that marketing hyperbole. Imagine if Alton Towers tried to 'explain' Thirteen by putting up a billboard outside the entrance with all that tripe written on it - would it improve the ride experience and satisfy guests? Nooo000ooo.

So of course it's not a question of IQ, nor spelling - it's just a pointless addition.

I don't get the whole "There's a sign with the stats on, the ride is ruined" drama.

But I suppose it's a good thing that apart from the reliability and roughness problems stemming from it being a) new and b) built by idiots, all we have to complain about are signs that cost next to nothing and can easily be ignored.

What signs? I forgot about them already. Can't we all just go on the Smiler and enjoy the amazing music please without caring about all this backstory and theme explanation facts stuff, yay?

:twirly: