• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Smiler - General Discussion

If i was going to do explanation boards, I would have smaller bit size ones dotted around the queue line. maybe even placed them near the theming it talking about.

at least then people will have something to look at and talk about in the queue

I'm on the fence about the boards, they're nicely made and the visuals used are good, but they just provide needless exposition to a ride that can easily show its theme through the physical theming. As CoasterCrazyChris said, they should really be saving money for additional theming elements rather than pointless stuff like this.

Also, the fact they spelt Inoculator wrong is baffling, how one of the key ride elements can be misspelled is beyond me.

I like the look of them, but they seem oddly placed and don't quite fit in with the area. For example you have the big sign on the fence, then you have a couple of empty fence panels, and then some more signs and then empty fence panels again. It would have been better to have them spaced out a bit, or all together in a central location. All seems a bit random.

Also im not sure how the inoculator is the first process when in fact its the 4th one!

Just what you expect to see next to a brand new £18 million rollercoaster:

545257_533516300052152_58091438_n.jpg

From Towers Street Facebook Page

There are also reports of welding noises coming from the indoor section. I'm not sure what the pump could be for though, unless there has been some flooding. I suppose anything is possible with The Smiler though. It really is a perfect example of why not to rush a huge investment.

:)

I'm not sure what was happening to it today, but they closed the ride at around midday but they kept running the ride until everyone in the queue had got on, although they weren't sending a train until the one in front had stopped in the final brakes. Maybe they're having issues with the block system? They were also working on the vertical lift towards the end of the day. At least we managed to ride it twice before it broke!

Welding is not particularly audible over great distances, so I'd question that claim. It seems that flooding is going to be a huge between now and the end of the season, though.

I hope that any chartered engineers that have worked on this project have now been struck off the register.

Tom said:
Welding is not particularly audible over great distances, so I'd question that claim. It seems that flooding is going to be a huge between now and the end of the season, though.

I hope that any chartered engineers that have worked on this project have now been struck off the register.

Yes, and the cretin that designed the drainage system should have been the first.

I think the quickest and easiest fix for drainage, will be a sump and pump system.

there is two problems with this, one finding a suitable place for the sump, and not disturbing the footers by building it.

The most logical place for the sump is where the smiler roundel is, Lift it up make the sump and then use the roundel as a cover for it. but what would that do to the footers.

then cut shallow channels into the concrete floor to channel the water into the sump.

however i could be talking crud, as i am not a chartered engineer ;)

delta79 said:
I think the quickest and easiest fix for drainage, will be a sump and pump system.

there is two problems with this, one finding a suitable place for the sump, and not disturbing the footers by building it.

The most logical place for the sump is where the smiler roundel is, Lift it up make the sump and then use the roundel as a cover for it. but what would that do to the footers.

then cut shallow channels into the concrete floor to channel the water into the sump.

however i could be talking crud, as i am not a chartered engineer ;)

The problem is that there doesn't seem to be any logic to the angles of the ground concrete in the first place. It's this that causes the water to pool under the Marmaliser. Pointedly, the ground closest to the indoor queueline actually has drainage just next to the building - however the ground is angled downwards away from this drainage. It's quite incredible the incompetence of whoever designed it.

I have not been in the main queue line as i visited this year with a red wristband guest.

so the drains are at the top of the slope in the concrete, wow! that is badly designed and implemented. why didn't any of the builder notice such a basic design error is beyond me.

Once again, something that seems perfectly normal for a brand new £18 million coaster.

I'm considering a new name for this coaster: Smilen Fire! ;)

:)

I wonder if they are having a drainage problem in there, and they are cutting drain channels and sump?

I am just going to wait until most of the problems calm down before my next towers visit. I haven't been for a while. But I can't see the point if this damned ride keeps breaking. But it is most likley drainage problems due to the un-thought through pit was made....