• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Marketing discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [SW7] Marketing discussion

I like Reverie, but Im good with whatever name wise, so long as it rides good!

I love the idea of a ride with no name! Other than that The Smiler or Delirium would get my vote.

In regards those 3 tweeted pictures, they seem to be likely to be shown on the spider. When you put two of the You Belong ones next to each other, the point between the two is barely visible, which suggests to me that it'll be shown around something in a circle.

i dont think AT are gonna release any more teaser pics on their twitter but hopefully they will anounce the name next week or a little later

DiogoJ42 said:
The more I think about it, the harder it is to see where that "spider" will fit in with the whole MOJ theme.

That's true. Unless, akin to th13teen, we are getting the wrong end of the stick with the current advertising and marketing. I feel that the advertising has been far better this time round though, so I'm hoping this isn't the case. I think the spider could work if it showed recordings of people going round the track intertwined with the Smiling Face, almost like a permanent live feed. That could look effective.

Where would that leave the park if they did away with it though?. They specifically had to get the permission for the Spider didn't they? Would they not need further permission for another feature?

The spider could be one of those seemingly random bits of theming that complements a ride in an awesome way :) The TV's could show all sorts of illusions, information, Smiler logo etc

The spider will be an aerial monitoring station, to prevent escaping advocates. That's how I see it!

It's the sole thing i'm scared of losing. We always used to lose theming elements either due to budgets or project overruns.

Even if the most recent merlin projects haven't followed this line it still unnerves me. It's about the only thing other than marketing which is interesting me!

DiogoJ42 said:
The more I think about it, the harder it is to see where that "spider" will fit in with the whole MOJ theme.

It looks to be covered in Televisions, which could just have the marmalisation videos or similar flashing across. (Funnily enough like I said ages ago) akin to GLaDOS in Portal 1. Portal 1 GLaDOS fight and Ending.wmv

if you pay attention it hangs onto certain images appropriate to what GLaDOS says (eg. when she says surprise it shows a cake, when she says dumbest it shows the Black Mesa logo)

Wouldn't be surprised if the spider will do a similar thing just with Kelmen instead of GLaDOS doing a speech to everyone. Brain Washing the advocates into mindless slaves to comply in his facility...

But thats just me getting carried away, I doubt it will be as good as that.

Im pretty sure the one thing that wont be dropped is the spider thing, its such a major part of the ride and area, it would have been organised and built weeks or months ago, certainly not a last minute thing that could be cut.

And from what I hear it has been made and is ready to be put up at Towers soon anyway ;)

The van and the tunnels will be the things to go if anything is cut, but the spider won't go.

We are not saying they will be cut... That conversation has been said a thousand times before.

Just pondering how it will fit in with the current marketing.

Well in terms of it fitting into the theme it will go one of two ways. 1 - Alton Towers develop an in depth and consistent storyline that fits in SW7 with X-Sector and gives context to the 'spider' piece of theming. 2 - Much like Th13teen, there is no strong storyline and it is left to the guests' imagination to fit in the 'spider' piece of theming within the theme.

Sadly, I can see this having either no or a very loose storyline.

I have my bets on the spider being some kind of MOJ observation tower.

^ I disagree, Im sure, judging by the work on Sub Terra and the sanctuary that this will be excellently themed and have a good storyline to boot!

Don't get how it does or doesn't fit in with the current marketing.

The marketing is basically the face popping up everywhere and some vague pictures on Twitter. There's no mention of plot or what the 'purpose' of the ride is. Things won't start getting specific until after the name and details are released. Then the marketing will get more detailed.

I think it will be one of the best overall rides at towers in terms of themeing, story, videos, effects and even the ride. They proved it with Sub Terra that they can do a ride, true to its original story.

cotda said:
^ I disagree, Im sure, judging by the work on Sub Terra and the sanctuary that this will be excellently themed and have a good storyline to boot!

There will be a strong theme, that's very certain - and I'm sure there will be a lot of detail put into the theme. However story lines can be hit or miss. Back in the days of Th13teen I think John or Morwenna said that a story is not always necessary for a new ride. As on the whole, guests do not care for such in depth information. In this case that may not be true, however I do believe it can go either way.

Sub-Terra needs a strong story as it is essential going through the experience. The Sanctuary is a scare maze and they do need story lines as it's a piece of theatre in its own right. This, however, is a roller coaster. Which might not need such a strong story to make you understand it (Th13teen being the key example of this).

Swarm and Sub terra both had extremely strong storylines last year. Krake and Raptor less so the year before.

I think this'll have a strong storyline. John Wardley mentioned GP not wanting storylines - but unfortunately, he does have a habit of saying whatever his employers want to say sometimes. I whole heartedly believe he didn't believe what he was saying, and nor do merlin and the current creative team.

Luckily people move on and change their perceptions. Current creative team seem to love immersion. Thank god!

I'll be surprised is this hasn't got a full on storyline.

The Sanctuary maze, the hints at the video/queue line material on Twitter.

Well less a storyline, and more a scenario you enter, that is very clearly defined - how you relate to that will most likely be your own psychology.

BBADIDMCcAIdxzX.jpg

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.