• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Marketing discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [SW7] Marketing discussion

Watching that video has reminded me of exactly how similar this marketing campaign is to Oblivion's. Spend a few weeks establishing the brand with no reference to AT whatsoever, and then just before the park opens reveal everything. ;D

Longy said:
JB1985 said:
Just wow - this is fantastic. The only think I would say is the ride had better live up to the hype this will create
Actually, this isn't really hype. It's just clever marketing.

Therefore, by using this technique, people can not become disappointed, which is better for both parties, as people wont slag the ride off on social networking sites.

It's incredibly clever!

For now no hype has been created, once they go into PR overdrive and people connect this to AT the hype will come.

But I agree, its incredibly clever and my point was that I hope the product matches

JB1985 said:
For now no hype has been created, once they go into PR overdrive and people connect this to AT the hype will come.

But I agree, its incredibly clever and my point was that I hope the product matches

Hype: Bound to garner a strongly emotive reaction after the SW6 marketing debacle.

I don't think you mean hype, by all means correct me if I am wrong, but I get the feeling you more mean anticipation. This will indeed create a kind of anticipation and expectation of very good ride, going to so much trouble for it.

The hype, or indeed more like, hyperbole of SW6 was not matching of the kind of ride that was actually being built, I understand what you are saying though JB I think.

If they continue to ramp up this marketing, garnering so much interest and intrigue, there absolutely will be a level of expectation and anticipation about what it is. If that turns out to be a bit disappointing, even minus "hype", Towers will look a bit daft to say the least.

The ride will indeed have to match up to the build up that is presently taking place, Oblivion worked, because it was Oblivion - they are doing similar here (ok, a little more fun/sinister) - none the less, the ride has to match.

JB makes a very valid point.

They can't build an £18million multi-looping Rollercoaster without building up some sort of hype, even if there was no marketing whatsoever, enthusiasts would create their own hype and expectation for the ride. :p

Josh said:
They can't build an £18million multi-looping Rollercoaster without building up some sort of hype, even if there was no marketing whatsoever, enthusiasts would create their own hype and expectation for the ride. :p

There are some rather big question marks over this ride, there's quite a few hyping this up beyond what I can believe. If this is excellent, I will be one of the surprised, but grateful ones.

I was referring to the GP, as I think JB was if I'm right here lol!

If not, I'll look a bit of a prize one, but no change there ;D

This hasn't happened since Blivvy, and they backed that up with an absolute beast that lived up to the anticipation it created.

Money means nothing. How much did Ring Racer cost? ... What a fantastic coas... oh hang on.

;)

;D

Muttlee said:
I happened to be out and about earlier today and managed to do a bit of sheep spotting! I think the next advocates are ready!
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb476/muttlee3/Baarmy%20Sheep
[/quote]

The spirit of Morwengi lives! I'm surprised no reference to the Closed Coffee Baar was joked by us, or the word fantabulously chilling, Alton know their stuff this time and they have The Sanctuary to back this fear. I just hope we start getting teasers about 2 weeks before February Half-term as it could get a bit confusing for HT guests and just builds up the hype more for something that we know is going to be special.

TheMan said:
I was referring to the GP, as I think JB was if I'm right here lol!

indeed i was - marketing is aimed at the GP, not the enthusiast community, however much that may disappoint some people!

BA9q7JdCIAEEF-x.jpg:large

Just posted on AT's Twitter.

They're REALLY teasing us now, aren't they? :p

Is it the smiley logo made with smoke?

I'm on my new fangled telecommunications device! So if I spell anything wrong, I do apologise.

There's also this:

BA9tF1NCMAAHgZO.jpg:large

Brighton Sea Life apparently.

I think it's fairly obvious that the name is going to be announced very soon. For months we've had nearly no advertising but in the last week everything's gone mental. Either they are going to keep this up all the way to opening (an update every day until then would be crazy!) or something's about to be revealed and the name is the obvious answer.

Mi-Nigle said:
How anti-climatic would 'The Smiler' be? ::)

While it wouldn't be a big surprise, which is always a bit sad, it's still a cracking name. I think it works perfectly with the theme of a sinister device as set up so far!

The hashtag GetCorrected has been used so widely now I wouldn't be surprised if that was up for contention.

Reading twitter posts I saw a few people say "oh, the sheep are for ATs new ride Get Corrected.

Strangely, part of me likes it.

Those twitter images kinda make me think of smoke and mirrors, all about deception. We know the MOJ like using deception. I'll stop playing Sherlock now.... :p

Edit: lol at the fish staring at Mr smiley in that pic above, probably thinking ''WTF'', and there's Mr smiley just grinning back like ''hiiiiii''!

Mi-Nigle said:
How anti-climatic would 'The Smiler' be? ::)

I'm more and more hoping that there won't be a name as such. Just the smiley logo to represent it and then it will just casually be called 'The Smiler' by visitors. I think it would make for some good hype at opening too. Midlands Today and the like going on about the 'mysterious coaster with no name', etc.

I'm almost thinking any actual name now would be a disappointment.

It's nice to see the marketing campaign stepping up a gear now, I love what they are doing with the logo. It's subtle, but iconic enough to raise interest and questions with the GP.
I hope this progresses for a few weeks, with a media launch / name sometime in February.

Regarding earlier comments that this needs to live up to hype / expectations etc, aside from the enthusiast community there is no expectation, as there has been very little information released. And let's be honest, the majority of visitors to Alton Towers are going to absolutely love a new multi-looping coaster at the park.

Jeremy Thompson (of Roller Coaster Philosophy) wrote his idea for a "nameless" coaster as part of his review of Thirteen:

Jeremy Thompson said:
Imagine this: The 2010 roller coaster’s announcement comes with a fancy webpage and announcement ceremony, but there are no direct references to the ride’s name. Questions are asked regarding this detail and they just refer to the ride in generic terms. Probably they’re still formulating that or they may announce a ‘name the coaster’ contest at a later date. Weeks go by and still nothing to call the hotly anticipated attraction by. Maybe they’re saving it for the official debut, as part of whatever the big surprise in the crypt is? It opens, and an elaborately haunting entryway can’t conceal the fact that no signage beyond the normal safety and height markers can be found anywhere. All the guides and brochures refer to it as “our newest roller coaster”, “Alton Tower’s eighth roller coaster”, “the ride in the Dark Forest”. Online debate rages over what to call it. Some call it “The 8th Roller Coaster” or “The Dark Forest Roller Coaster” because that’s the closest the park has ever come to naming it. Others say it should be “Intamin Family Roller Coaster” because that’s what it said on one of the shipment plates. Many call it “Unknown” because that’s how it’s still filed under the RCDb. But the rest merely murmur “that ride”, the one in the back of the park whose name cannot be uttered. Everyone knows what it is and what it looks like, yet this knowledge becomes strangely alienating because there’s no common communal label that can automatically identify this amalgamation of feelings and fears we have of this ride in our minds when discussing it with others. I think my “that ride” means the same thing to me as it does to you, but how can we ever be sure?

Full review

It's a very interesting idea and something I'd love too see implemented, but I get the feeling it's too radical for a park like Alton Towers to pull off.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.