• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Marketing discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
anyone noticed it has changed from 'world beating' to 'worlds first' not sure if this is just me overthinking or it could mean something?

EDIT: Image removed as it was pretty large and point has already been covered in thread- Scott

The full 'The Smiler' site partially went up by accident as posted above, before it disappeared again I grabbed this rather creepy GIF from the page:

circleanim-01.gif

Brilliant! It follows on from one of my favourite bits of The Sanctuary - those flashing subliminal images. I was hoping something like that would feature in The Smiler and now it seems to be the case. Very excited now :D

Is it just me that feels this is all very rushed, websites not being ready and worked on after the links are out etc. I think something could have caused AT to show their hand earlier than they planned (all the talk was of Wed being an important day)
Possibly those posters were put out early?

I think things were probably always planned for today - as the Metro article was posted so promptly. They had probably been given an embargo date and just posted as soon as it was lifted...

The only reason things may *seem* rushed is because we're all scouring the internet for new information. The proper mini-site probably only went up for a test and I doubt they expected anyone to find it :)

Scott said:
The full 'The Smiler' site partially went up by accident as posted above, before it disappeared again I grabbed this rather creepy GIF from the page:

circleanim-01.gif

Haha cool! and that concept art is epic! it looks totally insane.. I think shoulder restraints are a given here with the amount of inversions and (I hope) intense G's.

I don't think I've ever seen an advertising campaign for a ride as intriguing as this, it's brilliant!

Scott said:

circleanim-01.gif

Absolutely brilliant! The numbers are very Lost style. WHAT DO THEY MEAN?!?!??!!1111oneone

:D

Muttlee said:
Is it just me that feels this is all very rushed, websites not being ready and worked on after the links are out etc. I think something could have caused AT to show their hand earlier than they planned (all the talk was of Wed being an important day)
Possibly those posters were put out early?

My guess is that AT had given the press permission to announce the ride name today, but didnt expect a newspaper to post an article at 1 minute past 12 this morning :p and now they are rushing around trying to catch up, and no doubt a lot of the marketing department are struggling to make it into work today due to the bad weather around Alton.

So thought of something.
In that GIF. Before it says SMILE, it has a series of numbers:

53113. Spin it around a bit, makes 31.5.13.

Opening date maybe? 31st May 2013?

Stevie said:
So thought of something.
In that GIF. Before it says SMILE, it has a series of numbers:

53113. Spin it around a bit, makes 31.5.13.

Opening date maybe? 31st May 2013?

It's actually 53173 :)

Ahhh good, I was wondering when Towers would use some form of number/code thing and sit back and watch the enthusiasts try and work out what it actually means (otherwise known as, nothing)...

I always enjoy this bit...

I did think it was a date relating to 1973. :p

I wouldn't bother reading into it though, I doubt it has any importance to do with the ride. Most likely just random numbers which fit with the transition to 'Smiler'.

Regarding the video that we found last night, TPM asked the company who made it whether it was official or not, and they had this to say about it:

TBWA\Manchester said:
@tpm_official I'm afraid it's not official, one of our designers just got inspired by a trip to Alton Towers at Halloween :D

Oh well... it was still a pretty cool video :)

Oh this has been madness, what a night was had when the Metro sprung that one on us! But I love it, I love the name and I love the promotional material.

While obviously they're using B&M restraints for the image, I think this confirms yellow restraints for the ride? :)

Fredward said:
Though that may be to cover tracks, if was simply something inspired by towers, why delete it in a hurry. ;)

They put up another tweet afterwords saying that they took it down to avoid confusion.

EDIT: Source

Re: Re: [The Smiler] Marketing discussion

Josh said:
Fredward said:
Though that may be to cover tracks, if was simply something inspired by towers, why delete it in a hurry. ;)

They put up another tweet afterwords saying that they took it down to avoid confusion.

Hmmm, surely it'll be less confusing to just rename the title to [unofficial]

I know its probably not real, but the way it was handled taken off YouTube in a rush, before lingering on vimeo. Just seems a bit fishy.

What I think is very interesting is how the girl with the smiling face in the concept art shares a striking familiarity with the smiling girl in the video... Not that they look alike, but that they are both pulling a similar creepy smile.

I'm actually glad it's not official, it really scared me. I much prefer the smiling woman in the newly released artwork, because its creepy but not overly disturbing.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.