• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Marketing discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Currently listening back to it - its well worth a listen! He sounds really enthusiastic about the ride and has a lot of interesting things to say!

He confirms (in a sort of summary piece + some quotes) -

Speaking about nem / air / oblivion - "well our new ride, its going to beat those"

Talking about the new ride - "the thing about this, the unique thing, is that whilst rides in the past have played with your body, this "marmalises you" - plays with your mind in 5 "mind manipulating elements" that you experience on the ride. Its more than just a physical rollercoaster"

"What weve managed to do is pack more track per m space on this ride than any other in the world" - also confirms the two "lifts" (one of which is vertical)

Also comments there are things to disorientate you to make it both physical and mental.

Also mentions a worlds first, never been done before - that they are holding back from the public before you ride.

Its nothing new per se - but the information about playing with your mind in 5 different ways is nothing I have heard before. Plus, confirmation of a worlds first from John himself makes me more confident it will be something worth riding!

Have a listen http://podcast.canstream.co.uk/boltonfm/index.php?page=3 - Mid Mornings top of the page, towards the end of the show (perhaps 4/5ths through)

Although I have a lot of respect for John, personally I find those quotes a bit too similar to the 'psychoaster' guff the park was spouting about Thirteen to take them seriously.

From TS News:

John Wardley is one of the ride designers who has created some of the most memorable ride experiences in the UK from Nemesis, Air and Oblivion to The Swarm and many other attractions at Alton Towers and Chessington World of Adventures. Although his role in creating attractions has become smaller in recent years, he still plays a key part in the creation of the latest ride to be built in the UK: The Smiler.

Earlier this morning John Wardley was on the Bolton FM radio station talking about The Smiler and he had the following to say:

“[When talking about Nemesis, Air and Oblivion] Well our new ride is going to beat those.

It’s called The Smiler, it opens in May, and if you think Nemesis is big this is about twice the size of it. Whereas rollercoasters in the past have just played around with your body this ‘marmalises’ you and it plays around with your mind.

There are 5 mind manipulating elements that play around with you on the ride, so it’s more than just a physical rollercoaster.

What we have managed to do is pack more ride per metre of space than any rolloercoaster in the world. it takes you up 2 lifts, one is vertical, a 30m drop, all sorts of inversions and on top of that various effects that actually disoreintate you so it’s mental experience as well as a physical experience

For more information you can visit the Alton Towers website, which will tell you all the details except for one detail which we are keeping secret until the ride opens. It is a world-first and has never been done before and you are going to need to go to Alton Towers to see just what that is.”

You can listen to the interview with John Wardley on Bolton FM approximately 3/4 through the show.

Did we ever hear John sprout that rubbish though - this was my main thought. Hearing it from the man that designed the best rides at Alton Towers reassures me.

Though, air is a perfect example of a not quite realised dream, and is something I hope doesnt happen here!

It certainly is exciting to hear Wardley talk about the ride, feels like the marketing is picking up another gear now.

Also good to hear that there is more to this than the track and trains.

rightbackgranty said:
Did we ever hear John sprout that rubbish though - this was my main thought
Unsure if we heard him spout psycoaster, however he did say those awful words "guests don't want storylines".

Blatantly, hence swarm and smiler since.

thefatone said:
rightbackgranty said:
Did we ever hear John sprout that rubbish though - this was my main thought
Unsure if we heard him spout psycoaster, however he did say those awful words "guests don't want storylines".

Blatantly, hence swarm and smiler since.

Of course neither of those subsequent storylines will have been thought-up by him...but then I have to wonder if in the case of Th13teen he was just delivering the party line at the time, as it seems slightly at odds with his attitude towards previous developments :)

Problem is, John is (was) working for Merlin, clearly at the time Merlin Studios was leading itself in the way of not having story-lines for rides (or at least did not believe in one for Th13teen). John would never publicly say that he disagrees with that. He just had to go with it. I'm certain it would have just been a throw-away line as he was speaking from the perspective of representing the people he works with.

In addition, him uttering the words "people don't want storylines" is so at odds with all of his other creations. You could, if you were being extremely mean, argue that Oblivion / Air / Nemesis don't have the best storylines behind them but when you look at Hex it's hard to fathom those words coming from the same man.

This will be his last ride. He's going to want to do it right.

Magrathea said:
From TS News:

John Wardley is one of the ride designers who has created some of the most memorable ride experiences in the UK from Nemesis, Air and Oblivion to The Swarm and many other attractions at Alton Towers and Chessington World of Adventures. Although his role in creating attractions has become smaller in recent years, he still plays a key part in the creation of the latest ride to be built in the UK: The Smiler.

Earlier this morning John Wardley was on the Bolton FM radio station talking about The Smiler and he had the following to say:

“[When talking about Nemesis, Air and Oblivion] Well our new ride is going to beat those.

It’s called The Smiler, it opens in May, and if you think Nemesis is big this is about twice the size of it. Whereas rollercoasters in the past have just played around with your body this ‘marmalises’ you and it plays around with your mind.

There are 5 mind manipulating elements that play around with you on the ride, so it’s more than just a physical rollercoaster.

What we have managed to do is pack more ride per metre of space than any rolloercoaster in the world. it takes you up 2 lifts, one is vertical, a 30m drop, all sorts of inversions and on top of that various effects that actually disoreintate you so it’s mental experience as well as a physical experience

For more information you can visit the Alton Towers website, which will tell you all the details except for one detail which we are keeping secret until the ride opens. It is a world-first and has never been done before and you are going to need to go to Alton Towers to see just what that is.”

You can listen to the interview with John Wardley on Bolton FM approximately 3/4 through the show.

Wow - I think we can deduce quite a bit from this:

1. I think the reference to two 'lifts' strongly suggests that we're not going to see a 'launch' up the first hill or up the vertical section - 'lifts' suggests conventional lifts not launches.

2. I think the emphasis on 'mind manipulation' means we're not going to see any physical tricks other than the track itself - no 'washing machine' or any other form of 'trick track' - but effects, like sound, lighting, maybe air canons etc will be used to disorientate you. I think we may well see some 'Mad House' style trickery to make you think you're spinning round, without actually spinning you. That sort of thing. I think the 'world first' will relate to this 'mind manipulation' stuff - a different slant on Th13teen's 'psychocoaster' idea.

Interesting how he specifically mentions "5 mind manipulating devices." I hope that doesn't sound much better in words than it will do in reality, as has been the case in the past :p

Can't believe this was on Bolton FM as well, the presenter sounds so unprofessional. Should have been on a national radio station, create some marketing hype.

Bolton FM appears to be a tiny community radio station. Community stations are almost completely run by volunteers. Chances are that the presenter is a fan and chanced emailing Wrdley for an interview - which he got.

Wardley probably thought there was no chance of every enthusiast hearing it :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Scott said:
Bolton FM appears to be a tiny community radio station. Community stations are almost completely run by volunteers. Chances are that the presenter is a fan and chanced emailing Wrdley for an interview - which he got.

Wardley probably thought there was no chance of every enthusiast hearing it :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Would've been good if the presenter could have come across as more knowledgeable then, rather than attempting to sound like he knew absolutely nothing about coasters or theme parks. He also ranked Air above Nemesis :/ :p

Well, I'm quite impressed with the trailer! The arrangement of ITHOTMK is, erm, interesting, to say the least. :p

2 inversions in that video not in the plans....

.... Prepares my "I told you so" dance :D

(Sorry :) )

Is it just me or does the animation at the very end suggest a launch, perhaps mid-ride? Also appears to show the inverting drops and the normal chain lift at the start also. Exciting! :D

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.