• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Marketing discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
GaryH said:
How about bum prodders? lol

Your humour gland has been fully erect today hasn't it Mr H.

Cheese said:
I'm concerned that being jabbed in the back or having your legs slapped by a silicone tube could massively compromise the enjoyment of what looks set to be a very good coaster indeed.

Have to agree with everything you said in that post Cheese, I feel exactly the same about it.

TheMan said:
GaryH said:
How about bum prodders? lol

Your humour gland has been fully erect today hasn't it Mr H.

Can I firstly just congratulate you on the expert way in which you worded that MrMan. Secondly, I thought bum prodders may go well with the rainbow steps ;)

What an absolute load of bulls***e that press release is.

We are getting what looks to be one of the most thrilling coasters the UK has ever seen and with more inversions that any other ride on the planet....and yet all they can do is spout off a load of crap about this "marmalisation" rubbish which appears to be turning into a bigger gimmick with every passing day.

I mean, are we supposed to buy that "the tickler" and "the giggler" are products of a dark and sinister organisation? More like the products of an overactive marketing department.

It saddens me how they feel they need to create these silly gimmicks in order to generate interest in a ride, when instead they would do far better by marketing how good the ride itself will be (unless of course said ride is Th13teen).

I think its just adding a bit of detail to the whole ride theme really. They don't need to sell much lip-service on the shear volume of steal involved so they are expanding the theme for people. Also gets the press interested as it puts a spin on things, no-one is going to write about a bog standard coaster installation and if something comes out as a press release it means they want media to pick it up on mass.

They put everything out and the papers choose what they include, so press releases are not really for wide spread consumption. Just a buffet of information for papers to pick at.

CoasterCrazyChris said:
What an absolute load of bulls***e that press release is.

We are getting what looks to be one of the most thrilling coasters the UK has ever seen and with more inversions that any other ride on the planet....and yet all they can do is spout off a load of crap about this "marmalisation" rubbish which appears to be turning into a bigger gimmick with every passing day.

I mean, are we supposed to buy that "the tickler" and "the giggler" are products of a dark and sinister organisation? More like the products of an overactive marketing department.

YES ALL OF THIS LOL!!

The thing is, what they said about fear, is applicable to most coasters with near miss elements, lift hills, queues and what not - if you actually read it, the don't actually mention psychology in specific reference to the elements themselves, but a general statement as to what elements of that kind achieve.

I am so disappointed that it became gimmicky - that is why I got so annoyed the other day. There was no NEED for gimmicks this time round, just build something brilliant and market that!

What is missing, is someone to just speak passionately about it, no over hype, no gimmicks, just real pride in the achievements and attraction being created. It is no different to selling any product, people by people or buy into ideas - and also, there is great value in spending money on experiences psychologically and they completely miss that out! Their biggest selling point too.

Such a waste.

I suppose I just remember Th13teen marketing that was all gimmicky for about 10 months of the lead-up time. I think we have seen 2 outputs that have been overly gimmicky.

When they start calling it the ultimate roller coaster and say they are ordering spare plastic pants for people I will start worrying

:D

Dave said:
I think its just adding a bit of detail to the whole ride theme really. They don't need to sell much lip-service on the shear volume of steal involved so they are expanding the theme for people. Also gets the press interested as it puts a spin on things, no-one is going to write about a bog standard coaster installation and if something comes out as a press release it means they want media to pick it up on mass.

They put everything out and the papers choose what they include, so press releases are not really for wide spread consumption. Just a buffet of information for papers to pick at.

I take your point, but I think the fact the ride will take the world inversion record and will feature a huge steel spider-like structure in which the track will fly in and out would be more than enough to get the press interested.

They ought to sell the ride based on these two amazing merits rather than creating something naff.

:)

I think the problem with that is the press will only write an article about that once. But as soon as Towers press start sending the papers more rubbish, they will get more articles published. Which is why so much crap came out about TH13TEEN, because the marketing just filled the papers with rubbish, all the ultimate coaster, having to be over a certain age, etc, etc. Its a simple and cheap way to get the papers to print an article.

You send them some made up story about the ride, they get a free article with very little work involved, publish it, win win for both parties.

I actually think that press release is quite good by Alton’s previous standards. The whole bit about the rising and falling action and its relation to a riders experience is well put, if a little bit basic. And the stuff relating to Marmalisation sounds like a central part of the rides theme so they need to explain it somehow.

I fail to see how it is particularly gimmicky or doing the ride a disservice.

Does anyone know the sort of articles that were written in the run up to the opening of Oblivion and Air? I would be really interested to see some.

Tim said:

Well because the whole thing has nothing to do really with the physical ride experience and how good that will be, it has just been created like a gimmick. I don't think it will do it any harm as you put it, but personally if reading that was the first time I heard of the ride it would not make me want to ride it.

In all honesty I think it is more cringey that gimmicky, the whole tickling and giggling business is just embarrassing for what will be a highly thrilling and (for many) scary ride.

Dave said:
I suppose I just remember Th13teen marketing that was all gimmicky for about 10 months of the lead-up time. I think we have seen 2 outputs that have been overly gimmicky.

When they start calling it the ultimate roller coaster and say they are ordering spare plastic pants for people I will start worrying

:D

Dude, that was funny ;D

One thing I will say, they are at least having a go at making something memorable.

djtruefitt said:
You send them some made up story about the ride, they get a free article with very little work involved, publish it, win win for both parties.

Not win win though is it, win for newspapers, loss for Alton Towers, because they get found out and customers left wanting. I suppose this time at least, with the bits of hyperbole, they are keeping things that will really get people interested for later.

Rather than backing it up with a family attraction, people are going to find this backed up by a crazy inversion record well themed (like it or not of course) attraction, with something else as a weird world's first (I don't expect it to be something dull or ordinary - especially to the GP).

To be fair other than the delays and my gerst concerns, for a while I have been really standing beside everything they have done at times against some fierce criticism. I find it now a bit strange being the other side and again in a minority (on here at least anyway).

The members who were sharing opinions with me, I believe, also appreciated the attempt at authenticity, very strong and imposing theme, big thrill ride, and no gimmick credibility adding up to a potential world class attraction.

Then come the feather dusters, absurd press releases, the spider concept art all within days of each other - completely taking it from the way it appeared to be heading to something largely now dumbed down (and yes, it is).

I believe that is where some of the annoyance and a bit of shock to be honest has come from over all.

It's all a bit crazy really. I mean first they build a tame ride and hype it up as th biggest thing ever, and now they really are creating a big ride but are dumbing it down!!

At least we are (relatively) safe in the knowledge that the ride itself will be solid, whatever the marketeers churn out.

CoasterCrazyChris said:
Tim said:

Well because the whole thing has nothing to do really with the physical ride experience and how good that will be, it has just been created like a gimmick. I don't think it will do it any harm as you put it, but personally if reading that was the first time I heard of the ride it would not make me want to ride it.

In all honesty I think it is more cringey that gimmicky, the whole tickling and giggling business is just embarrassing for what will be a highly thrilling and (for many) scary ride.

Fair point although it's always possibly they don't want to officially announce the inversion record yet so are trying to gauge the rides theme first. When you think about it the park have been rather mute on what to expect in the way of selling features, we've only worked out some of them by putting 2 and 2 together. Maybe they are trying to spread out the reveals until closer to May.

Tim said:
Fair point although it's always possibly they don't want to officially announce the inversion record yet so are trying to gauge the rides theme first. When you think about it the park have been rather mute on what to expect in the way of selling features, we've only worked out some of them by putting 2 and 2 together. Maybe they are trying to spread out the reveals until closer to May.

I think this is true, and I doubt the delay has helped either in terms of filling out what will be coming. If this was on time (cries) then we would pretty much know everything now. They will be working on the hop a bit given their, er, flexible opening estimation lol!

The fact is, it would be very difficult to overhype this ride. Whereas with Thirteen it was very easy given it's disappointing layout, this is the longest coaster on park and will contain the most inversions in the world! Even saying stuff like "the ultimate rollercoaster" isn't really an understatement given what it is.

Alastair said:
The fact is, it would be very difficult to overhype this ride. Whereas with Thirteen it was very easy given it's disappointing layout, this is the longest coaster on park and will contain the most inversions in the world! Even saying stuff like "the ultimate rollercoaster" isn't really an understatement given what it is.

I hope it isn't "The Ultimate"! I hear it is quite rough, great experience perhaps on a woodie, but not on a 14 inversion super-looper.

(Let it be known if Alton Towers now use that phrase it started here in this context lol!)

How can AT market the ride as worlds most inversions when they haven't yet revealed that is what The Smiler actually is?

For now, I'm happy with press releases like this, just for the reason that they want press coverage.....however, once all is revealed I sincerely hope they really push this 14 inversion beast hard in everyone's faces lol

All I see this PR doing is going some way to explain further the storyline and what certain theming elements are.

That is good.

Burton Mail have today done a short article on the smiler here: Feel the fear with a ride to remember on The Smiler

The article reads as follows:

ALTON Towers has released new details of its new world-first rollercoaster The Smiler.

The resort says the ride – the most expensive in the theme park’s history – will ‘marmalise the minds of riders to give them a thrill like no other’.

Not only will the ride involve plunging 30m drops, hurtling speeds of up to 85km per hour and extreme turns, but The Smiler will also feature ‘twisted psychological effects to mess with riders’ minds’.

John Wardley, a ride consultant at Alton Towers Resort, said: “We know people get a thrill when they ride roller-coasters, but in order to heighten that feeling of excitement we needed to design a roller-coaster that also incorporates a variety of mental cues.

“The Smiler will be different from other traditional coasters in that it will combine intense physical effects to put the body through its paces, along with the unique mental elements to mess with the mind.

“After riding the coaster they will have experienced full mind and body marmalisation.”

The resort said riders would be subjected to five mind manipulations including jabbing needles, blinding lights and optical illusions, to maximise the fear factor.

The Smiler is due to open at Alton Towers in May.

More details on the rollercoaster can be found at www.the-smiler.com

Nothing majorly new to be seen in there to be honest. Does seem that they're really going to push the "marmalisation" aspect of the ride as it's thematic selling point. Also, with this article today (all be it small) and the one from the Daily Mail a couple of days ago, it seems as if they're drip feeding things out to the media before a major announcement. I'd expect to see more details and possibly an advert in the next coming weeks, certainly just after the park has opened to be sure :)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.