• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Marketing discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [SW7] Marketing discussion

Alastair said:
It kinda makes an animation if you put it in the right order - I think a frame is missing though...

sw7-animation.gif

A bit faster...

sw72.gif

Duuuude!! Clever spot mate!!

This makes me think those Barrel Rolls will have animation around them. That is clearly going to be something important in the ride - unless it is a graphic representation of an inversion fest...

Why can I imagine them sitting there laughing at all our speculation, like most of us would if we were fortunate enough to be doing their jobs lol!!

This is fun though, much of this has to be aimed at the enthusiasts watching - no just obviously, but it is very tantalising.

Shame the building crew weren't as efficient eh Towers? ;D ;)

Alastair said:
It kinda makes an animation if you put it in the right order - I think a frame is missing though...

sw7-animation.gif

A bit faster...

sw73.gif

Full speed!

sw72.gif
Oooh! I like this a lot!

Hope it finds a place in the ride somewhere... Be it the queue, the station or even somewhere on the ride itself. Maybe on screens around the zero-G/heartline at the start of the ride?

That image is very highly detailed isn't it.

That really is an iconic image. It is rare, for one of this quality and impact, let alone being attached to a random Gerstlauer at a Theme Park!

Even if I end up hating the ride, I have to say this marketing campaign is really funny.

I think it's SO cool that they're dominating the capital like this, apparently it was being projected onto Big Ben the other night too! Now it's about time the South West got a bit of love ;)

I do think that this advertising campaign has been working a treat so far. Posters appearing gradually in stations, followed by a fairly prominent campaign in the Red Top Papers showing sheep with Smilers, and then to be hitting big sites across London will really get people talking.

I seriously love how iconic the 'Mr Twirly' image is. Like, seriously, just take a look at it for a few seconds and really think about it. It's bloody brilliant! Instantly recognisable, eerie enough to make people double take and full of connotations that could mean something different to everyone.

It's definitely the best logo Alton have come up with since Oblivion, and possibly even better than that! I can't wait to see more.

This marketing gets better and better! I was hoping that projection would make it out the park.

I've just thought in terms of the TV advert, they're not going to be able to get any footage of the ride in action until it's finished, and we all know that's not happening any time soon. It seems a shame considering the impressive scale and layout. They could go the way of Air and Oblivion with CGI but I'd like to think they'll keep it subtle yet strong, very much like the current marketing.

Having no coaster to shoot is a good excuse to be more creative and subliminal. My favourite Towers advert is for Hex. It somehow gives nothing away while being incredibly relevant, not to mention memorable and masterfully put together. Neither the story nor the ride are compromised. I'd love to see something like that. If they don't go down the CGI route, it will be really interesting to see how they go about it while still creating sufficient coaster hype. I just hope they don't use generic Gerstlauer footage, unlikely due to the new trains but fingers are crossed anyhow!

Blipverts of the logo flashing on screen between other ads would be a nice touch too, similar to the AT website now.

I think that the face lends itself much better than blipverts than the 13 adverts did. Like others have said, they've got an iconic logo - showing it for a few seconds with "Alton Towers" underneath would look really effective.

Well, this is just getting better and better.

I wonder how far they can go with this? Putting it on billboards, buses, more train stations, etc. seems like an obvious step. But who saw things like the sheep incident and these projections coming? I'd hazard a guess at no one.

I can't wait to see what Alton have up their sleeve next, and what exactly is coming.. :D

Maybe instead of associating these with Alton Towers, they should associate them with the Ministry of Joy. Setup a website for the Ministry and Doctor Kelman's experiements. Should add an extra layer of mystery.

Someone made a joke the other day about waiting for the Projections onto the Moon.

Strangely, never has this been more likely :eek: With the new laws allowing product advertising within TV shows, I would love it if they managed to get the posters onto some of the mainstream shows. As I can imagine this ride being aimed at the older teen / young adult market something like Hollyoaks would be ideal.

The program isn't my cup of tea, but it may just help stir the conspiracy a little further!

This has been getting massive over the last few days

Anyone reckon the London Eye is in order?

Technically, it's not advertising if most people don't know where it's come from...

I'm trying to think of other locations where the could pop up.
Buses? Aeroplanes? People?

I'm getting a real excited feeling about this! Viral marketing at it's best, seeing as this is only the beginning, big things should hopefully be coming.

As for next steps I imagine fairly soon they'll do something similar to the sheep incident, maybe that a load of people are having the same dream about the smiley face?

Just wow - this is fantastic. The only think I would say is the ride had better live up to the hype this will create

JB1985 said:
Just wow - this is fantastic. The only think I would say is the ride had better live up to the hype this will create
Actually, this isn't really hype. It's just clever marketing.

Therefore, by using this technique, people can not become disappointed, which is better for both parties, as people wont slag the ride off on social networking sites.

It's incredibly clever!

Re: [SW7] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

LordOfDarkness said:
Alton just tweeted this...

BA6grBdCcAEkDbx.jpg

Is it only me, or does that scream washing machine element?

All this does is irritates my eyes! :p

Well the sheep thing was.....well.....I think that the marketing team may be in the nicest way possible most probably clinically insane. Why? Baffled.....

As with the video above, awesome! I hope they do that!

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.