• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Marketing discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
It could be construed as misleading but it doesn't actually say anywhere that the ride is open. It also directs people to the website, which clearly states on the homepage that it is closed. It's not an ideal situation but the park couldn't pull the adverts once they were bought and the campaign started.

Could easily have pulled the ads or replaced them with either non smaller or coming soon smiler versions. Would probably have cost them but it absolutely could and should be done.

Advertising something which they know is not available is underhand even if it is not quite actually false advertising and they should not do it. Seems that at this stage they'd rather get people through the gates then give them free stuff to try and keep them happy rather than have them hold off.

I have to agree, I think changing the adverts to Generic Park ones, or Lego/CWOA/Thrope adverts would have made more sense than advertising something that was not open.

Adverts can be changed and updated really quickly these days, you just need to watch Live Sport, and see the bookies adverts with the Live Odds to see how quickly they can react to what is happening at the event.

Ian

When this ride does open are they going to have to re-hype the opening? Or are they going to be subtle and open it one weekend with a little announcement a day or so before? Which would be better? I'm wondering how likely it is that the buzz around The Smiler can be recreated after all of this, from the GP's side.

gosling said:
When this ride does open are they going to have to re-hype the opening? Or are they going to be subtle and open it one weekend with a little announcement a day or so before? Which would be better? I'm wondering how likely it is that the buzz around The Smiler can be recreated after all of this, from the GP's side.

I find it really odd but the GP don't seem to mind the delay, i suppose in a week only 80,000 guests have been through (compared to the 2.5 million they get in a year). But even on park last weekend they just seemed to accept the fact it was closed reasonably well.

Even most of the FB and twitter hate has been from geeks.

simps100 said:
^Saying that, Watchdog have tweeted that Alton Towers are on tonight's show, can only assume its to do with The Smiler delay?

Yeah it sounds bad but then they get to announce to 4m viewers for free that it will be open tomorrow.

Basically a nice bit of free advertising for The Smiler, including some nice shots of the ride!

:)

Thanks all! Well I'm not too gutted I missed that.

I wouldn't be surprised if that is a paid advert. It does show them in a good light, potentially being the 'good guys' in all of this; re-valuating ALL tickets.

Also some 4million BBC viewers are now aware of the ride.

Clever in a way, but Utter tripe all the same!

The best bit's 'leaving a thou... dozen celebrities dangling'.

I can only really see this as good for the park really.

The Watchdog feature was negative. There can be no doubt it will be seen as damaging by the park.

-Sent from a mobile phone-

I'm sorry, but to me this is a piece of machinery... It is noting more than some well engineered metalwork. Yes it's attractive, it does look stunningly beautiful, but at the end of the day it's a toy! It did not open on time (twice) but how many major construction efforts go over time? Or over budget, or have major snagging issues? It happens... I do genuinely think people loose perspective, it is a toy, a play thing, something to pass time with. It is not an integral part of the UKs defence (which incidentally was, and still is many years and millions of pounds overspent). The Smiler will NOT change anybodies life and it will not alter the corse of human civilisation. It's a rollercoaster.

I am sure that Merlin and Alton Towers are as frustrated by this as people here are, but it is not going to change the world.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.