• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Marketing discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
AshleeKel said:
Overall it's a good advert, only let down by the weird deep voice that guy has. Probably would have been better if they used his normal voice.

That is a nod to oblivion I think, the weird guy that says "don't look down" in the original advert for it

Energetic_starfish said:
Blaze said:
Hadn't even thought of this before somehow. Shout.

Should have got Chris Cornell to do the soundtrack.

Now that would be pretty cool XD

I posted that video months ago lol!!

I'd link to it, but no way am I going through all my posts to find it. Have you any idea how long some of my posts are?

I think the advert is good because compared with more recent adverts there is definitely cohesion in relation to the style - talking more specifically about the 'cartoony' nature of it.

I have to say I think the advert doesn't make the ride look menacing enough. The advert for Thirteen for example was much more about the theme than the actual ride. I understand they wanted the ride to be the main feature of the advert but the style in which they've executed it, in my opinion, doesn't have the ability to instill fear into people.

I think they should have gone for a more sinister approach, bringing in perhaps a mental asylum aspect.

hesaduja.jpg

Well I got upset when I've just seen the advert, it should be open

siralgenon said:
The Smiler's TV advert has now been 'corrected' and the opening date has been removed.

It's likely they had a "corrected" advert all along, with instructions in the campaign of which of the two to play when - no point in saying "Opens 23rd May" on and after 23rd May.

You can do alot of clever scheduling as part of your TV advertising campaign.

BigDave said:

Comment number 2 (literally I think appropriate):
“I take it they bought it new then...it should be under warranty? Some of Alton Tower's rides are second hand. You'd think they'd tested it before letting humans ride on.”

Can I take back what I said about the GP please?

TAKE THE RIDE BACK! ITS FAWLTY!!!

basil_fawlty_203_203x152.jpg

PS...
DON'T MENTION THE WAR

TheMan said:
BigDave said:

“I take it they bought it new then...it should be under warranty? Some of Alton Tower's rides are second hand. You'd think they'd tested it before letting humans ride on.”

Hahaha that one made me laugh. He is right in the respect that it probably is under some kind of Gerstlauer warranty, but the way it's phrased is hilarious. Also, are there any second hand rides at the park?

Alastair said:
TheMan said:
BigDave said:

Hahaha that one made me laugh. He is right in the respect that it probably is under some kind of Gerstlauer warranty, but the way it's phrased is hilarious. Also, are there any second hand rides at the park?

I think he meant Thorpe Park ;D - Although I think Nemesis was second hand.

TheMan said:
Alastair said:
TheMan said:
BigDave said:

I think he meant Thorpe Park ;D - Although I think Nemesis was second hand.

Oh yeah, wasn't it originally at the Pleasure Beach? Then they sold it and replaced it with Infusion :p

Enterprise is 2nd hand it operated for a couple of years in Trentham gardens first before being moved to Towers.

Blade is also second hand, being a travelling ride before moving to the park in 1980.

That's probably as far as it goes with second hand rides now.

resa3yre.jpg

Just thought I'd say, in the last few days the smiler app has snuck up from 85 to 25 in the Apple App Store! Good marketing :)

Just seen the advert on TV for the first time. The end of the advert says 'book now at Alton Towers Resort'. Which, to me, suggests I should book now as the ride is open. Slightly misleading for people planning a half term day out?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.