• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Marketing discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I like it. It manages to be both dark and quite light and whimsical which is good. I like the continuation from the style of the Sub-terra and Ice Age adverts from last year.

Just a point, the video description on YouTube states '(30 sec. Version)' which implies that there will be another length of advert. Probably a 10 second one but there could also be a 60 second one planned...

A 60 second one would be perfect. Although the pacing of the 30 second one suggests to me that they have not created a longer version. You never know though!

I personally think there will be a shorter 10 second version rather than a 60 second version. That's how they seem to have done their TV ads in the last few years.

:)

Most of the Merlin parks do 30 second and 10 second adverts, don't see why this would be any different really.

With Saw and Swarm, Thorpe had 30 second and 10 second adverts, then a couple of months after opening (so around this time of year actually), they released a 60-70 second video of the ride on Youtube, just generally showing off the ride, and did huge pushes for those videos via FB and Twitter. Could well be the same here.

All in all, I like the advert. Would've liked the laughing version of the theme tune, but I can see why they stuck with the normal one. Would like to see a post-watershed one though, even if the only difference is the music. :p

I think think this advert is fantastic! One thing that I can rely on is Alton making great adverts for their new attractions and this has pleased me. I love the fact that they used the regular version of In The Hall of the mountain king, it work well with with the Nemesis advert and it works well here!

Bravo Alton!

Alastair said:
I hope all of the little CGI'd details like the pipes in the station (congruous with the exterior) make it into the finished product:

backgroundpipes.jpg

That image of the pipes in the background really shows what look they were trying to go for with the station building, but in my opinion in reality they haven't managed to pull it off.

To be fair, I'd be expecting the station to be like what is seen in the game, not the TV advert. And from what we've seen so far the station does look very similar to what it looked like in the game. If rides were exactly like TV adverts, Air would be the best landscaped coaster in the world and Thirteen would have a good fast outdoor section.

Didn't like it. Far too jumbled up and all it seems to speak is that there is a new rollercoaster to ride. It's far too busy and I felt quite stressed as a viewer as I hadn't got a clue what was going on.

EuroSatch said:
I hadn't got a clue what was going on.
So... you were successfully marmalised?

I like the advert, but they have fit it into their recent "QUIRKY" branding rather than giving the ride its own space.

Whereas the Thirteen, Oblivion and Hex adverts were like short art films in themselves, this one is just an advert. But a great advert.

Ermmm compared to all the other towers adverts its the worst one, but we've got a 14 inversion coaster

The worst of all Towers' adverts? You should go to YouTube and look at some of them, this is far better than say Rita's or the 2006 Resort advert. Towers do set very high standards for their adverts though, very rarely are they poor. My personal favourite is the 1997 advert, that was full of magic!

I don't think that this advert is that bad. It highlights the 'insanity' of the ride but also gets the key points across clearly. Obviously, it's not the best advert ever (That would be '97 or for a ride, Oblivion's for me) but it's still very good.

I'd definitely put it ahead of TH13TEEN's, Rita's, and Air's, and on par with Nemesis' just because of the way the advert has been made.

I know it won't happen, I know it's just ropey CGI... but 10-15 seconds in when the train clearly launches up the second lifthill my heart skipped a beat.... ;)

Overall a very good advert. Best in years.

Novas said:
I know it won't happen, I know it's just ropey CGI... but 10-15 seconds in when the train clearly launches up the second lifthill my heart skipped a beat.... ;)

If I didn't know any better, I'd be thinking that too!

Overall it's a good advert, only let down by the weird deep voice that guy has. Probably would have been better if they used his normal voice.

For me its not the worst advert they have done (nowhere near in-fact). But Oblivion, Nemesis, Hex and Th13teen beat it for me. I agree with what ElectricBill has said, they have fitted it into last-years quirky imagery and it lacks its own theme really.

But it does its job and better than some adverts they have done (Rita, Charlie, 2006 resort, spinball)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.