• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Marketing discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Why is 'marmalise' and 'marmalisation' being thrown around so much without any explanation? Hardly anyone outside of the community following the ride knows what it means. Will the average member of the public actually pick up on these terms?

It creates a little mystery but otherwise it just seems odd to say that the selling point of this new attraction is something that's not even genuine and something that most don't even understand anyway. :p

How many people are going to read that the Smiler will...
marmalise the minds of riders
...and think "oh wow I need to ride this"?

Edit: Even if it gives the ride a little mystery, I don't think very many people will be bothered enough to look-up what it stands for. The lack of explanation behind those terms isn't very effective in my opinion.

Well in the additional notes of the press release by Alton Towers (of which these news articles are using) the term 'marmalise' is explained. The additional information is meant to be used by the press to give more depth and meaning to their news articles. So this additional information is up to the individual news websites to either include this information or not.

The people creating these articles need to explain it better then, otherwise people are going to completely overlook it when the theme of mind-play / mind-erasing is a key element to the attraction.

Here's the note along with the press release:
Notes to editors:
Marmalisation:
Marmalisation is a term to explain how The Smiler will make you feel. It can be interpreted as making you feel spaced out, or mashed up.

It's a vague definition, but short, simple and at least gives some sense of the word. I do agree that these articles being published on sites need to explain it better. As many of the general public will have never heard of the word. But Alton Towers have provided the information. Just a shame these news editors aren't acknowledging it!

Well at least Screamscape have got it right:

2013 - The Smiler / SW7 - (3/5/13) The jury is still out as to just how many inversions The Smiler will have when it opens, though the report at ThemeParks-UK says they count 14 now, but there are still rumors of a possible 15th as well. The Smiler will also put to use a number of special effects along the way, as seen in the game, all working together to turn your mind into a pile of mush. Check out the details of the Marmalisation process here.
With 14 or maybe even 15 inversions, I’ve got to admit that as an American, I’m very jealous right now, since the most inversions anyone on this side of the pond has been willing to build stopped at 7 inversions way back in 1988 when Six Flags Great America built Shockwave. While we have a number of coasters with 7 inversions, for some reason no one has ever been willing to build one bigger. So if Smiler does have 14 or more inversions... consider me very impressed and green with envy.

Glad to see they're a little jealous that we're getting another coaster with loads of inversions! :p

In regard to the pyscoaster related hype stuff, I really don't mind it. Especially as this time around we are actually getting a coaster with effects that are meant to mess with your mind. There is substance to what is being said and this was not the case with Thirteen.

Also, Towers probably need to do this type of stuff to get into the papers. No newspaper is going to run a headline such as "Ministry of Joy return with new facility after failure of The Sanctuary". It would mean nothing to most people. However give them some results or findings from a scientific study related to fear and thrill, and then tell them it's all to do with your big new expensive rollercoaster that is opening and they love it!

Towers have got all of the marketing spot on so far. The themed ride marketing as I'm going to call it has so far been great. And the media/PR marketing will probably be effective and has some real substance this time around.

:)

I see they've finally updated the main site banner advertising the rides opening in May now. Good step on there part to avoid any guest disappointment.

To be fair it doesn't matter what you do paper wise, I have handed news papers entire copy, with very clear indicators as to the most critical bits of the articles - particularly certain factoids and/or contact information etc.

The articles then arrive barely representing anything that you are doing. One thing I cannot criticise Towers for is how their press release is being interpreted and relayed.

What I can though, is what an absolute yawn fest that press release is.

Forza_Dan24 said:
Cool :twirly: they could do with something like that on their uniforms IF they choose to go down that road with the ride staff and costumes etc.

Hopefully they do! I think themed uniforms could be pretty cool.

I made the vector for fan use though so enjoy! :twirly:

auntiiimartiii said:

from the article - "With more than 50 rides and attractions, the Alton Towers Resort is Britain’s Greatest Escape for Easter 2013."

On AT map in 1983 - You pay once then more than 50 major rides and shows are FREE

It amuses me that the marketing tagline from 30 years ago can still be used today; especially when it relates to the number of attractions, which you would imagine to be significantly larger now.

I don't know if anyone have noticed the smiler logo on the traffic lights when leaving park :)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.